COLBERT TO TAKE OVER FOR LETTERMAN

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:59 pm
BFD. Discuss, (or not)

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
Is he still going to be the character Stephen Colbert or will he be the real Stephan Colbert?

Because I will really miss the character Stephen Colbert.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
I would but I already opened a thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/240896-1
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 02:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
He will be missed as his character because no one else does it as well. Stewart is a distant second , he takes himself so seriously.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 02:53 pm
@farmerman,
That will be the end the Tonight Show franchise for certain.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 02:56 pm
@Ragman,
Ive seen Jimmy Fallons show and I hope it gets better cause I find him boring. You think Colbert will polarize the Letterman Audience ?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
Stewart said Colbert has abilities people haven't seen yet (or words to that effect). I saw that before the announcement, not sure of the timing.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 03:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Id say the negotiations were well underway since Colbert appeared as That SCrooge Character of the Letterman show last year
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 03:03 pm
@farmerman,
IMHO, he couldn't carry Letterman's jock strap. The transition should occur in 8 months (end of his current show's run) to a year, I've heard.

The further fragmentation of network TV audiences to other cable choices will dilute and scatter Letteman's audience to the 4 winds.

FWIW, sounding like the old codger that I am, I go back to Steve Allen's show and Jack Paar show. Letterman wasn't quite up to the level of them and certainly not Johnny C either... but he was quick witted, funny with his off-the-cuff banter and self-effacing manners. Furthermore, he was a damned good interviewer, too. More than 10-15 yrs ago, when he was in the old format, he was far more interesting and creative.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
don't care for Letterman. It can only get better.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
most late night shows, with the exception of Craig Ferguson, are clones of each other. Carson was a "one-off" and will never be duplicated.
Fallon is really annoying IMHO, Letterman is tired and has been boring for many a yar. (I liked him when he would drop a watermelon from a C-130, or when he had this suit made of Velcro and stuck himself to a wall)

Unique ****,
Now I watch "Ridiculous Acts of Science" or bass fishing shows, and Turner movies
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:09 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Is he still going to be the character Stephen Colbert or will he be the real Stephan Colbert?

Because I will really miss the character Stephen Colbert.

Not me, and if the Colbert character takes over for Letterman he will crash and dive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:13 pm
@farmerman,
No.

CBS, obviously, sees a tilt left as a position in the middle, but their Late Night audience is a lot bigger than Colberts current spot.

Oh, he will be an "edgy" liberal but it's all about ratings and only the lefties at MSNBC don't care about those.

If he does polarize the Letterman audience he won't be around for long.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
many have said that. Having anyone on the right be an able deliverer of comedy is, Ive noticed, not part of their DNA.
Comedy is borne of pain , not privilege. (At least intentional comedy).

I guess Bob Hope was one pf the last GOP style comedians although most of tha right wing has been busy disabusing anything of the 50's as being nothing more than "RINOs"
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:19 am
@ehBeth,
I could not agree more.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
Colbert is getting the NPR review bullshit this AM. Imagine, an NPR reporter talking about how to be "funny on TV". What a douche.
Ragman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
That reminds me of the saying "those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, administrate."

Nothing is more unfunny then someone trying to tell an audience what makes something funny.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:07 pm
@Ragman,
woody allen said that "those who cant teach, teach gym"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:12 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I can name two right off the top of my head: Dennis Miller and Greg Gutfeld
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Dennis Miller USED to be funny, I think he jumped the shark when he attempted NFL football announcing while trying to sound like Geoffrey Chaucer. After that attempt, he became strident and bitter and his "Humor" morphed and became mostly sub literary quips with political references . In that respect, hes the conservative equivalent of Bill Maher who also used to be funny until he saw himself as a 21st century Will Rogers (which neither maher nor Miller are).

Gutfeld, I never knew he considered himself a comedian. Humorist maybe. He's not laugh out loud funny, but sort of smirky funny like Garrison Keillor.

Isnt Tina Fey a libertarian? Shes funny , so I sorta take it back, theres one right wing comedienne.