Do you stand at concerts (aka concert etiquette)?

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:35 am
Recently I took some kids to a concert. It was a tween boy that raps so think a theatre full of tween girls (and some boys too) screaming and dancing, etc.

The boy comes on stage and immediately the young fans jump to feet and scream! They are up on their feet screaming and singing and dancing -- basically having themselves a great time. Now considering the ages of most of these fans, there are a lot of parents in the audience too. Most like me just sitting and watching their young ones having a great time.

Then (isn't there always) some fun busters. Two parents sitting beyond my kids - I notice them telling them to sit down. And trying to get those in front of my kids to sit down. Finally I get the dad's attention and try to be reasonable. I tell him -- this is a concert -- that is what kids do at concerts, they stand up and dance and sing. He was having none of that shaking his head and finally I said "No - they are going to stand if they want to!" My kids turned once at him and then ignored him -- the dad's wife had this disgusted look on her face.

Some other dad behind me - said I don't blame you for speaking up - have they never been to a concert? Let the kids enjoy themselves.

Would you comply with this fun buster? Should I have told my kids to sit and be still? Its not like I don't keep them in line where they should be quiet and polite - I look at this as it is a kids' function and they should be kids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,794 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:45 am
@Linkat,
It's clearly not a classical music concert which I think is a fair type of concert for people to have a bit of proper decorum and such so standing or sitting at a nonclassical music concert is one's own prerogative. The blowhard of a father who was making a scene about concert goers (it doesn't have to be kids) enjoying the music they paid for and attended voluntarily should get a stickectomy (removal of a very big stick out of his grouchy and irrationally irritated ass).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 09:13 am

Form a mosh pit around the guy and give him a "crash" introduction to slam dancing. Twisted Evil

Seriously, yes, go ahead and stand. And if everyone else decides to stand on their seats, do that too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:04 am
That was my take -- this is a concert (not classical) so it is expected that some people will stand/dance to get enjoyment from the music.

It was funny when we were leaving the young ones were saying...what was up with that dad. Like, he really wants to see an 11 year boy sing and dance? He could have stood up if he really wanted to see him. What parent wants to watch a kid sing?

I was told prior to the concert - I wasn't allowed to get up and dance (after I said I was going to). So I did my parential duties and just sat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:30 am
@Linkat,
Hopefully the next concert that dad goes to, he can wait in the parent zone (best invention ever).

Of course people are going to jump up and scream and dance during a concert. We do it, why wouldn't tweens or teenagers?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:32 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Would you comply with this fun buster? Should I have told my kids to sit and be still?

no way and no freaking way
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 10:30 am
@ehBeth,
The really odd thing -- these two parents brought their daughter that look over 16. She was filming the whole thing with this big a$$ camera.

It was just a strange 3-some.

My older daughter came 15 - but the concert was really for my tween and her friend.
oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 10:50 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
The really odd thing -- these two parents brought their daughter that look over 16. She was filming the whole thing with this big a$$ camera.

Maybe they wanted people in front of them to sit down because they wanted a clear view for the camera.

Not that it would have been reasonable for them to expect that of other concertgoers, but it might explain their behavior.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
@oralloy,
The girl didn't seem to be having any difficulty she was taller than anyone in front of her and she didn't appear to be having a problem filming when she was standing. She didn't seem to be upset or anything. She seemed to be having fun.

But the dad and mom were all bent out of shape. They didn't stand up they just sat there glaring. And the dad seemed like he was trying to get the ushers attention. I was hoping kind of that he would as they ushers would have most likely told them to chill out.

Even at the beginning of the concert -- the man announcing had three rules - one was to have fun and another was to get up and sing and dance - they were encouraging it. The third was not to rush the stage.
0 Replies