Rand Paul: Dick Cheney used 9/11 as excuse to invade Iraq for the benefit of Halliburton

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:12 am

Rand Paul: Dick Cheney used 9/11 as excuse to invade Iraq for the benefit of Halliburton

By Tom Boggioni
Monday, April 7, 2014 7:53 EDT

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/07/rand-paul-dick-cheney-used-911-as-excuse-to-invade-iraq-for-the-benefit-of-halliburton/

In a videotaped 2009 speech before student Republicans at Western Kentucky University, Rand Paul — who was just beginning his run for the Senate seat he eventually won — explained that former Vice President Dick Cheney, who counseled against war in Iraq in 1995, pushed for war following 9/11 to benefit his former employers at military contractor Halliburton.

In the video, discovered by David Corn at Mother Jones, Paul can be seen standing at a lectern describing Cheney’s opinion in 1995, when he said that invading Iraq would be, “a disaster, it would be vastly expensive, it’d be civil war, we would have no exit strategy.”

Paul said:

There’s a great YouTube of Dick Cheney in 1995 defending Bush Number One , and he goes on for about five minutes. He’s being interviewed, I think, by the American Enterprise Institute, and and he says it would be a disaster, it would be vastly expensive, it’d be civil war, we would have no exit strategy. He goes on and on for five minutes. Dick Cheney saying it would be a bad idea. And that’s why the first Bush didn’t go into Baghdad. Dick Cheney then goes to work for Halliburton. Makes hundreds of millions of dollars, their CEO. Next thing you know, he’s back in government and it’s a good idea to go into Iraq.

<snip>

The day after 9/11, George Tenet is going in the House and Richard Perle is coming out of the White House. And George Tenet should know more about intelligence than anybody in the world, and the first thing Richard Perle says to him on the way out is, ‘We’ve got it, now we can go into Iraq.’ And George Tenet, who supposedly knows as much intelligence as anybody in the White House says, ‘Well, don’t we need to know that they have some connection to 9/11?’ And, he says, ‘It doesn’t matter.’ It became an excuse. 9/11 became an excuse for a war they already wanted in Iraq.

<snip>

It’s Dick Cheney in 1995 being interviewed on why they didn’t go into Baghdad the first time under the first George Bush. And his arguments are exactly mirroring my dad’s arguments for why we shouldn’t have gone in this time. It would be chaos. There’d be a civil war. There’d be no exit strategy. And cost a blue bloody fortune in both lives and treasure. And this is Dick Cheney saying this. But, you know, a couple hundred million dollars later Dick Cheney earns from Halliburton, he comes back into government. Now Halliburton’s got a billion-dollar no-bid contract in Iraq. You know, you hate to be so cynical that you think some of these corporations are able to influence policy, but I think sometimes they are. Most of the people on these committees have a million dollars in their bank account all from different military industrial contractors. We don’t want our defense to be defined by people who make money off of the weapons.

<snip>

Watch the Western Kentucky video below:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/07/rand-paul-dick-cheney-used-911-as-excuse-to-invade-iraq-for-the-benefit-of-halliburton/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 557 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:24 am
too bad cheney sold out to pander to the W. Bush administrations misguided obsession with Iraq. He was prescient in 1995, a fool in 2003.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:48 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
too bad cheney sold out to pander to the W. Bush administrations misguided obsession with Iraq. He was prescient in 1995, a fool in 2003.

I don't think he was prescient, I think he was waiting for a dumb Bush. And I think he was as much in charge a W. W was a delegator who used no oversight.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:53 am
U.S. senator gets so angry at Cheney’s torture defense that he offers to waterboard him
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/06/watch-u-s-senator-gets-so-angry-at-cheneys-torture-defense-that-he-offers-to-waterboard-him/

(snip)

Sen. Angus King, who is on the intelligence committee, (I-ME) reacted to Cheney’s comments during a Sunday appearance on MSNBC.

“I was stunned to hear that quote from Vice President Cheney,” King explained. “If he doesn’t think that was torture, I would invite him anywhere in the United States to sit in a waterboard and go through what those people went through, one of them a hundred and plus-odd times.”

“That’s ridiculous to make that claim! This was torture by anybody’s definition,” he continued. “John McCain says it’s torture, and I think he’s in a better position to know this than Vice President Cheney. I was shocked to hear that statement that he just made.”

“And to say that it was carefully managed, and everybody knew what was going on, that’s absolutely nonsense.”

(end snip)

Amen.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:21 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/PettJ/2014/PettJ20140417_low.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Rand Paul: Dick Cheney used 9/11 as excuse to invade Iraq for the benefit of Halliburton
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:25:19