My wife's affair and her lack of desire towards me now

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:28 pm
My wife and I have been married for 7 years, together for 10. We have always been the best of friends, no doubt about it. Everything about our relationship has been great from the start and our sexual relationship amazing, until the little one showed up five years ago. Even after we had our son, the sex was "good", although it became much less frequent. Having a child was difficult for us but not bad. We were, what I'd consider to be, a healthy happy family. There was a communication breakdown when it came to how to raise our child as we didn't necessarily agree on certain things. As the husband I tried extremely hard to have my voice heard and attempted on many many occasions to discuss our differences but to no avail. My wife was in disagreement and she took a lot of what I said as criticism. Over time this "criticism" became somewhat detrimental to our relationship. My wife is the type that she doesn't voice her concerns. Instead she kept it all inside and, from what I've discovered now, it really affected her negatively. Anyways, hopefully you get the idea. On the surface, we remained a happy family and continued to have many very happy times during that period. About four months ago I caught my wife having an affair. Only by chance did I stumble upon a text while her and I were out on a date night. As you could imagine, it was completely devastating. Never could I have thought that this was even remotely possible. Never could any of our family and friends have considered this to be possible. The point is that it was a complete shock. We were not in a dysfunctional relationship by any means. When I found out about this three month sexual affair, my wife took it upon herself to abruptly end it and removed herself from the situation completely. She quickly proved to me that she wanted nothing but me, and she said she never had any intention of leaving. She explained it as a crazy thrill ride that she got caught up in and got way carried away. Since then I have learned of how I contributed to her very poor decision and learned how my words had been affecting her. We learned a lot about each of our shortcomings as spouses and through counseling we have both worked hard to improve in many areas. We are closer now than we ever realized we could be. Her and I are best friends, great co-parents, true life partners….we do everything together and love each other deeply. Now, here is where the confusion comes in; since this all went down four months ago, I have found a seriously deep attraction to her. I am completely convinced that she is everything I need and I am deeply in love with her. We have had sex, on average, about three times per week. But....and this is my big but, I don't feel like she has a "desire" towards me that I would expect or that I have towards her. She has sex pretty much whenever I want and she even initiates it sometimes, but I feel like she's only doing it for me and for this family. She knows I want it and I need it so she does it for me. She admittedly does not have the desire for it. I don't mean she doesn't have the desire often, I mean never. Over the last four months, we have had many conversations about this. For me, nearly loosing her was enough to spark something very strong, but it didn't have the same affect on her. At first, she said that she needed some normalcy back and maybe that may be why she couldn't find it. I have given her day to day normalcy now, yet nothing has changed. At this point, this has me very concerned. I am a good looking guy, am in good shape....she says that she is very physically attracted to me. We have connected on very deep levels through conversation and our shows of affection are pretty constant. It’s been great! Everything is there except for one thing; her desire for me! It hurts extremely bad because, in my mind, it was four months ago that she was able to find that "desire" for someone else yet she can't seem to find it for me. She is 28 years old, a healthy beautiful young woman. I give her so much credit for doing so much to preserve this relationship, but why can't she find that desire for me? She has basically admitted that the last time she felt "horny" was during her affair. She realizes how painful that is for me to know, but all she can say is that she's so sorry. She feels so bad for me and she constantly tells me and shows her love for me, but why doesn't she feel that way towards me any more? It's devastating to think about at this point and it's really the only thing not allowing me to get completely over this affair. What is it? What could it be? Is it possible that she has fallen out of love with me? I know she loves me and she has proven that on a daily basis, but why can't I turn her on? Does that mean that she’s not “in love” with me any more? She says that she doesn't “hate" sex with me now, and most of the time she actually enjoys it once we're into the act, but I can see in her eyes that something is missing. She's not interested in foreplay, she not connecting with me emotionally during sex. It's like she's just doing something that she has to do. As a husband that has had to go through what we’ve gone through, it is completely devistating to think that she doesn’t have that feeling towards me. Can someone please offer some help on this? Help for me? And help for her? I know she wants to feel it but she just hasn't. Any input helps
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 31,663 • Replies: 190

vikorr

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 03:09 am
@Bestrong1976,
I'm wondering why you are asking here, if you have already been to see a counsellor? Why not ask a counsellor, who can ask you questions and see if you can find the answer?

Questions I can think of:

- I'm wondering how much effort you are putting into seducing her...not just romancing (which is a base), but seducing.

Many men think the 'chase' stops when they get married...and it inevitably slows down, but it should never stop.

- I'm also wondering how much effort you put into the base...ie. into ensuring she is not tired all the time, because nothing kills desire like associating tiredness with someone

- and I'm wondering how much effort you put into yourself. Not just looks, but who you are, your passions, your activities in life, your self esteem, your self assurance, your self respect, etc.

A couple of thoughts - that people may say are cliche's but that I find very true in day to day life:

You can tell what is important to a person by:
- the amount of time they spend on it (no matter how busy a life we have, we always find time for things that are important to us)
- the amount of thought and effort we put in towards something (same as above, we put thought and effort into those things that are important to us)

None of that may help - without a lot of back and forth dialogue, and without your wife's input - it's all just guesswork.
crayon851

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 04:01 am
@Bestrong1976,
ignore the counselors, why do you need someone else to tell you your problems.; let alone pay for them. FCUK THAT.

Sounds like you need to leave your wife for a short break or have your own affair. At least maybe then it will put things in perspective.

The other issue is that you guys sound like you've been together right out of highschool, so not much variety there. Some people need to date around before they find the one they're ready to settle with. She may have missed that and so have you. The only reason you feel so attracted to her is that sense of loss. She doesn't feel that from you. She feels you'll always be there.

The other thing is, it seems like you're blaming yourself for her actions. NO, that is wrong. Cheating is wrong. IF you were lacking somewhere, then so was she. It takes two to tango right? so it takes two to point out eachothers faults and solve them. You don't run away once you find an issue. You address it. She cheated, thats on her. Shes only justifying her cheating by blaming you (victim). Should a victim of rape feel like it was their fault for being raped? No. Should a rapist be able to justify their actions by saying that they couldn't help it, that their animal instincts kicked in because of the hot yoga pants? Nope. So, with that, you shouldn't take any blame for that. Your wife cheated thats all. The only shortcomings you had is that you didn't catch it sooner.

shes a biatch.
vikorr

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 02:40 pm
@crayon851,
The contradiction here is rather amusing

Quote:
ignore the counselors, why do you need someone else to tell you your problems.... FCUK THAT.
Vs
Quote:
- The other issue is that you guys sound like you've been together right out of highschool
- The only reason you feel so attracted to her is that sense of loss
etc
0 Replies

Bestrong1976

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 04:23 pm
@vikorr,
The counselor doesn't have answers!! Have you ever been to a counselor? The counselor doesn't seem to be too concerned but for that matter she never is. She just asks how I feel about it and how my wife feels about it...blah blah. The counseling has been a great help, but when it comes to this. It's tricky, we're doing good ya know? I just wonder why she's not horny any more? Why doesn't she have the same drive that I do after what we've been through?

To answer, I have actually put quite a bit of effort into this... We have had great long bonding type conversations followed by romantic type settings, we have had great times out together which you'd think would set the mood . I've done many things to help her and help lighten her workload, we've had great date nights, we've laughed more in the last four months than we have in the last two years probably....all of that has been there. For example, we'll have the greatest night out where we both just truly enjoy each other, we laugh, we are affectionate, and then when we get home my mind is all about sex and connecting with her and putting the cherry on top of a great night, but for her that thought just isn't a priority. If she thinks or knows that I want/expect it then she'll make it happen, but she has admittedly said that she could do with or without it? Weird, right? Once we get going, she can get into it and enjoy it, but she just doesn't "desire" it. Am I expecting too much? She says that maybe I'm putting too much weight on that particular subject? Am I? She says that everything is so great right now, we've recovered very well, and that sex isn't the most important thing and not too worry about it. She has also said that she will continue to work on it. Is this something that she can work on? Or is it just a feeling that she should have, that she is lacking? As far as what I've put into myself; I think you may be onto something there. Overall I have actually improved myself greatly. By the way I treat her all the way to how I interact with family and friends and how I contribute around the house. Her family have made comments that I'm the new "revitalized" version (they have no clue whats gone on). But, my self confidence has absolutely been affected by this and she has surely noticed. She has seen me in the darkest of places now, she has seen my weep, she has seen me hurt. After being a very confident man in the past, this has taken me to my knees a little. We have talks about it often. I voice my thoughts to her often. I mean, she is my best friend and there is absolutely no one else to talk to about this, aside from the counselor. Maybe I'm talking too much? At least about the things I obsess about.. I obsess a lot at times, in phases. But it's like a catch 22. How do I get my confidence back when I can't get her turned on? How can I get her turned on if she see's me as weak? How do I not come across as weak if I can't get my confidence back. Round and round it goes. She says that she is so attracted to me, she thinks I'm "hot", she loves the way I interact with our daughter and our family, she appreciates all that I do for her, she describes me as a perfect husband.....she's just not HORNY, period! Maybe it is chemical? I don't know...The fact that my drive is through the roof may not be helping this situation either. We're just so far apart. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I must sound like a total chump, right? Let me just assure you that I am not, ok. I am not desperate and I am not a chump. I have options....but all I want in the world is this woman and my family, period. This whole situation is just very strange and crazy and confusing...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 04:41 pm
It's possible some libido loss is for some other reason besides a psychological one. That can be from some kind of estrogen/testosterone problem. Women do have testoterone, just as men have some estrogen. Any changes in birth control pills lately?

I had a surgery that required me to take a drug first that shut down my estrogen. The prescribed shot or shots I gave myself barely hurt and the surgery was a breeze, but afterwords I had zilch libido. This was a remarkably odd feeling, believe me, and hard to describe. I told my gynecologist at the checkup exam, and he put me on a birth control pill that had some testosterone in it. Soon I was my old self, and not long after went back to regular bc pills - that post op prescription had then been a kickstarter after the hormone depletion.

So, I'd consider this might have a medical component going on. Or maybe a sex therapist is in order, another kind of kickstarter, but I've no idea about that, no advice, much less recommending it. I might not like that idea if I were her either. Who knows?
Germlat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah but... She had great libido with someone else. Missing the forest for the trees.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 04:46 pm
@Germlat,
Yes, so that is the psychological component, obviously.
Germlat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Not necessarily...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 05:36 pm
@Germlat,
I almost wrote the/a but I get too close knit sometimes.

Why don't you try to help the couple instead of calling me out for forest missing?
Germlat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry...not trying to call you out...I simply saw a situation and said what I thought.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:29 pm
@Bestrong1976,
Quote:
The counselor doesn't have answers!! Have you ever been to a counselor? The counselor doesn't seem to be too concerned but for that matter she never is.
Then find a different one.

Like any human endeavour - there are people that are people that excel and people who don't. Then there are people who excel in one area and are poor in others...both of these principles apply to counsellors as well.

Quote:
Am I expecting too much?
No, but I have a question for you - what causes her to feel desire?

Thoughtfulness, time, and effort says what's important to you. It's important for the other person to feel important...but for some, this is just the base...what is it, on top of that, that causes your wife to feel desire?

When I say a 'base', think of the base of a pyramid - the base isn't actually a pyramid without the stuff building up to the apex, but without a base, it falls over. Or think about it like a house - you could decorate a house with all the bells and whistles and it would look absolutely fantastic, but if it's foundation is built on stinky mudflats then: 1. it's unlikely to last long; and 2. don't expect visitors. You can't do without a good base (note: stinky mudflats are not a good base), but the base isn't necessarily what makes a person experience desire.
Germlat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 07:31 pm
@vikorr,
Her feeling desire is his fault?... Seriously?!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 07:57 pm
Some moves by a lover can kickstart (my new word for the day) desire, maybe especially with a new person, and less with the same old. I am guessing this is all not working now for our poster and his wife, thus maybe a sex therapist may be an idea to consider. I don't even know anyone who went to one, so that is just a question from me.

On hormones, one of the side effects of the drug that I shot myself with pre that easy surgery had diminished sexual desire as a side effect (no kidding, past diminished to zilch). That was pre google. Menopause and, I gather, peri menopause, which can show up early, can apparently have some of the same effect over time. I don't know the data.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 09:21 pm
@Germlat,
Where do you get the idea of 'fault' from?

In all of this, there is only contributing circumstances/actions/behaviours. He is wanting to know what he can do - ie. what he contributes to her experiencing desire towards him.

P.S. I haven't bought into the idea of 'fault' for many years now. It is one of the most anti-productive/growth ideas to ever have been embraced by so many people.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 03:05 am
maybe she is not bored with all sex, just with boring sex. Try adding some kink and see what happens. the desire that she had during the affair might have been caused by it being taboo. You keep mentioning that you two are best friends, which is a huge clue as to what has gone wrong. While their must be a certain level of trust in sex partners passion is generated more from danger and differences than it is from "love". When dating being put in the "friend zone" by a woman means that there is almost a 100% chance that you will never ****. think about it.
Germlat

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 05:18 am
@vikorr,
Why should he feel responsible for fixing her level of desire? He is not at fault of extinguishing it. You're suggesting he should do something about it. I disagree. Obviously, she was ok with the sex at one point, since she married him and had a baby. What changed? Maybe she did. I wouldn't try to arouse somebody who has cheated, and is not expressing desire. She should be the one proving herself.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 09:25 am
I don't understand what you mean she does not show "desire." You said she initiates sex. Isn't that "desire" enough?

I think you are STILL focused on the affair and that she desired another man over you. You want to find out what that "missing" component was that made her stray.

NEWSFLASH: It was NOT about the sex.

You two need to change counselors - get a male one. Have a good talk with your wife about what was not happening in your marriage that made her have an outside affair.

Stop concentrating so much on the sexual aspect of your relationship. That's not what this is all about.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 10:17 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Why should he feel responsible for fixing her level of desire? He is not at fault of extinguishing it. You're suggesting he should do something about it. I disagree. Obviously, she was ok with the sex at one point, since she married him and had a baby. What changed? Maybe she did. I wouldn't try to arouse somebody who has cheated, and is not expressing desire. She should be the one proving herself.

Because guys tend to need to be needed by their women, or at the very least wanted. I would go so far as to say that if a woman has no desire then she should fake it.
0 Replies

Bestrong1976

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 11:45 am
@hawkeye10,
Good point actually, but I will say that we do get pretty crazy. I'll just say that we don't just do the missionary and call it good. We've both been pretty sexual in the past. We mix it up. Just to clear anything mis-thinking, I believe that we are both good lovers. Nothing is taboo, anything goes pretty much. Nothing gross of course, but no inhibitions. But to address your comment, yeah the relationship we have created as part of getting through this has been one of best friends. She has had to be there for me in a huge way, as a friend. I myself can still differentiate when it's time to get intimate, but I wonder if she can. She is so confused, she just doesn't know?? I also do think there could possibly be a chemical element to this...