I am an Aussie, I've decided Indonesia to go teach English,is anyone there now and have any advice?

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:16 pm
I am an Aussie, currently teaching and living in Australia. I have an English degree, I just started applying jobs from local and international employments. After much deliberation and wondering where I should go, I've decided Indonesia is the place I most want to go teach English, so on that note, is anyone there now and have any advice for me? I kinda want to live in Jakarta but I’m flexible. I just want to get prepared and get more advice off of others who are or have taught in Indonesia before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:21 pm
@steph5wilson,
You can start here and maybe ask your questions of these folks.

http://able2know.org/topic/238561-1
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:25 pm
For someone who is ostensibly a native speaker or English, your second sentence is awfully awkward. Was that just negligence, or are you perhaps being less than honest with us?
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:57 pm
@Setanta,
Pay no attention to Setanta, Steph. He knows very little about the English language. I'm forever having to fix up the errors he makes when he offers advice to ESLs/EFLs.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 02:14 pm
Sentence structure doesn't sound Aussie? English not first language?
0 Replies

fortinzach

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 08:24 pm
@steph5wilson,
Indonesia is an interesting place to live, it has its own appeal. Jakarta is a city buzzing with activity. I am sure you will enjoy living there.
0 Replies

rozsapetofi

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 10:21 pm
@steph5wilson,
The downside of Jakarta is, aside from being more expensive from most other places in the country (except maybe Bali and remote places like Irian) is that the pollution is so bad. Sometimes you can barely see across the street. The nice layer of smog is pretty effective against sunburn most of the time, though. Suburbs like Serpong, Lippo Karawaci, and BSD seem a little less smoggier.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 11:52 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah; what you said.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 12:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

For someone who is ostensibly a native speaker or English, your second sentence is awfully awkward. Was that just negligence, or are you perhaps being less than honest with us?

I thought the same.
0 Replies

catebrad00

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 07:40 pm
@steph5wilson,
Westhill isn’t that good you know, there are a lot of better sites like jobsDB, jobstreet, indeed and many more. Where to work, you can also find many job openings there. Well, a decent gig, if you are certified as a teacher in your home country, is to teach at an international school or national plus school. Way back when the government made it illegal for the rich to send their kids to international schools. You had to be international. So rich Chinese people and others started building private schools and hiring expatriate teachers. Sekolah Pelita Harapan is a school that hires Christian teachers started out of this trend. There are lots of schools like this, BiNus, and I think Global Jaya would be some other examples.
oristarA

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:44 pm
@catebrad00,
catebrad00 wrote:

Westhill isn’t that good you know, there are a lot of better sites like jobsDB, jobstreet, indeed and many more. Where to work, you can also find many job openings there. Well, a decent gig, if you are certified as a teacher in your home country, is to teach at an international school or national plus school. Way back when the government made it illegal for the rich to send their kids to international schools. You had to be international. So rich Chinese people and others started building private schools and hiring expatriate teachers. Sekolah Pelita Harapan is a school that hires Christian teachers started out of this trend. There are lots of schools like this, BiNus, and I think Global Jaya would be some other examples.

Reading through your post is not very easy to me.
1) Does gig mean "a temporary job"?
2) Does way back mean "long ago"?
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 11:59 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
1) Does gig mean "a temporary job"?

Usually, but in this case I think catebrad00 might be referring to just a job in general (with no regard for temporariness).

oristarA wrote:
2) Does way back mean "long ago"?

Yes.

I believe that sentence was wrongly broken into two separate sentences, which do not make sense as separate halves.

Try this: "Way back, when the government made it illegal for the rich to send their kids to international schools, you had to be international. So rich Chinese people and others started building private schools and hiring expatriate teachers."
0 Replies

westhillhoney

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 02:22 am
@steph5wilson,
Government policy states that foreigners who work in Indonesia must be "experts" in their field. This precludes your average recent university graduate from working here … as the government sees an expert as someone who has been working in their field professionally for 5 to 10 or more years. The only exception we've found to this rule is for native speakers teaching English. If you have teaching qualifications and are a native speaker, you are already an expert in your field even if you are a fresh graduate.
0 Replies