"25th Hour" Did he or didn't he?

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:32 pm
I have a question for anyone who has seen "25th Hour". The last fifteen minutes of the film had so many dream sequences and time shifts that I am in a quandry as to whether Edward Norton turned himself in at the prison or headed west. Any ideas? Either way I really enjoyed the film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,308 • Replies: 5
No top replies

bree

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 07:22 pm
Flyboy, I'm not sure either, but I think he went to prison, because the last time we see the car it's still on the New York side of the Hudson, and it looks like it's already gone past the George Washington Bridge, which is where they would have turned off if they were going to head west. So I think the story Monty's father tells him, about what his life could be like if he ran instead of turning himself in, is just supposed to be the equivalent of a bedtime story that's meant to keep him calm on the drive to prison. The fact that the last shot in the movie is a close-up of Edward Norton's sleeping face kind of fits in with that interpretation.

Either way, I enjoyed the movie a lot, too.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 08:17 pm
Bree- I too lean toward the theory that he turned himself in, but I'm still not certain. I believe his father also was ambivalent as to whether or not he should run. After all it was he who brought up the idea. As for still being on the N.Y. side of the Hudson, the reveries were long enough that he was probably already beyond the G.W. bridge. Of course there was still the Rip Van Winkle at Tarrytown.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:55 pm
It was a tricky ending. But the very LAST shot showed him still in his dad's car on his way to prison, suggesting that the whole previous sequence was a fantasy or a daydream. Either way, I liked the movie, and I thought it was Spike Lee's best effort in a few years.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:15 pm
I agree that this was Spike Lee's best film in recent years. I also agree that the late scenes were dreams or wandering thoughts. I'm still not certain whether at the end he and his father were still heading for prison or to a train or bus station from which he would head west. I, as you and Bree, lean toward the prison scenario, but I'm still not certain. It would be a shame if the beating he had inflicted on himself went for naught.
0 Replies

prettygirlwithaknife

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:25 pm
Re: "25th Hour" Did he or didn't he?
[quote="flyboy804"]I have a question for anyone who has seen "25th Hour". The last fifteen minutes of the film had so many dream sequences and time shifts that I am in a quandry as to whether Edward Norton turned himself in at the prison or headed west. Any ideas? Either way I really enjoyed the film.[/quote]
IF you did indeed notice at the end of the movie, he was heading west, away from the prison, as his father was explaining how it could be, he fell asleep and his father basically took that as he was tired and he needed a new start, so they began to head west. I enjoyed the movie thouroughly and it made me cry.
Embarrassed
0 Replies