The Movie Noah

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:50 pm
There was bound to be controversy with a big dollar Hollywood movie based on a Bible story.

Based on the fact that it has been receiving rave reviews from critics in such sources as Rolling Stone, I sort of came to the conclusion that it wasn’t another Passion of Christ.

The film makers decided to refer to God as The Creator, and this has angered some. I don't get it.

However, I've heard from critics who have seen the movie who say that the film has changed to motivation of The Creator to destroy the world from the degradation of human society to degradation of the environment.

It's just a movie so, in the end, who should really care, but if these critics are correct this is a major departure from the source material. God/Creator didn't from time to time wreak havoc on the entire earth or certain of its parts because people were spewing CO2 into the atmosphere, but because they were behaving very badly towards Him and each other.

God/Creator is not Gaia.

Personally I don't hold for a God/Creator who wipes out millions because society has gone rancid, and I don't believe it ever happened. If it did, then God/Creator must now be asleep in a very long nap. However, there is something irritating about Hollywood attempting to co-opt a Christian legend/myth to promote their political ideology, when they more often than not tend to cast Christians as the villains in their other endeavors.

I will watch this movie, and if it significantly departs from its source material I will only be disappointed if it attempts to change the message of that material. Sounds like it might, but I’ll see.

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I thought you were for free market?
Noah (the flick), has taken no Federal money and is totally the investment pot of a small bucket of individuals who are hoping this adaptation of the HEBREW myth, will score big at the bx office. If it doesn't, the investors don't make money and, can actually lose money.
Its the very warm beating heart of capitalism. The only things that were sorta "Donated" were location permits for filming Noahs DIY Workshop.
They coulda done better casting.
I would have had Liam Neeson s Noah if I was going for spectacle. Or Larry the Cable Guy if I wanted something more accessible
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Muslims are avoiding it because they don't like to have stories about their "prophets"
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 08:06 pm
Sci-fi and superhero movies are very popular and that's what this is essentially. People like to watch movies about immense power being used for constructive purpose in a secret sort of way, e.g. "Spiderman." I'm not surprised something so similar as this is also popular.
JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 09:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
B: Sci-fi and superhero movies are very popular and that's what this is essentially. People like to watch movies about immense power being used for constructive purpose in a secret sort of way, e.g. "Spiderman." I'm not surprised something so similar as this is also popular.

Yup that's how USA propaganda works.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:22 pm
@farmerman,
Not in Palestine.

Quote:
the Palestinian Gaza Strip does not have movie theaters. One theater in the Palestinian West Bank says it has ordered the film.

"The fact that some countries in the region prohibit it makes it the more fun to watch" Clack Cinema manager Quds Manasra said. "The production is magnificent, the story is beautiful."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/03/13/noah-will-not-debut-in-much-of-muslim-world/6369633/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 06:38 pm
Quote:
How "Noah" And "God’s Not Dead" Are Making The Bible Popular Again At The Movies

No biblical film has come close to Noah’s $44 million opening weekend since The Passion of the Christ. And it is just one of several Bible-themed movies making at impact at the box office.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/noah-gods-not-dead-the-bible-box-office
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 06:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
They had Crowe dressed up like some kinda shnorer. He was a man of means wasn't he?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
I really don't know the particulars of the Bible version but in this version, he's some offshoot clan that has nothing to do with the clan of Cain.

farmerman wrote:

They had Crowe dressed up like some kinda shnorer. He was a man of means wasn't he?

No. His character was more Buddhist like in its barebone's minimalist lifestyle. I believe he was an out and out vegan. So he's more akin to a Brooklyn/Portland hipster vegan then a beggar (I had to Google shnorer).

It was a weirdish movie that was a tad too long. The fantasy bits (the Watchers) were interesting and help move the plot a bit. Russel Crowe's Noah was a jerk but I guess that's supposedly expected for a Old Testament protagonist. He was The Creator's Tool by all definitions of that term (including the slang one).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:21 pm
@farmerman,
You thought right but for the life of me I can't figure out the hell that has bearing on my post. The producers are free to make any movie they like as far as I'm concerned. Assuming they did co-opt a Christian myth to spin an environmentalist parable, my irritation will hardly be a call for banning the film.

And if you're suggesting that ideology doesn't factor into Hollywood movies, you're kidding yourself. If it was all about what makes money they would make more movies like Passion of Christ and far fewer money losers like the series of anti-Iran War bombs they trotted out.

Sure they want to make tons of money but they are also egotists who long to be seen as artists and think the rest of the country sees things the way do. It's a lot like elitist left-wing columnists from NY and DC.

As I wrote, it's just a movie, and at worst it will irritate me. More than half of the folks in this forum do that and I keep coming back.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
Yes they are and as silly as that is (to me), why would I care except for the fact that artists who piss off Muslims often find themselves the target of a violence laced fatwa and sometimes dead on the street with an Islamist manifesto stuck to their chests with a dagger.

I hope you're not trying to equate popular Christian reaction to certain art with that of their Muslim counter-parts

Anti-Christian artists are all well and good but they are cowards if they don't also go after Islam...and of course they rarely do.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm not surprised.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
" Russel Crowe's Noah was a jerk but I guess that's supposedly expected for a Old Testament protagonist."

I think it is expected of today's Hollywood. I don't have a problem with someone taking an artistic turn away from the popular conception of a character, in fact I like it, but if it isn't unexpected, it's banal.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: Yes they are and as silly as that is (to me), why would I care except for the fact that artists who piss off Muslims often find themselves the target of a violence laced fatwa and sometimes dead on the street with an Islamist manifesto stuck to their chests with a dagger.
---------------

Oh, the barbarity!

Shall we do a comparison as to numbers and methods of death for those who piss off the US, Finn?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 09:57 am
A radio commentator said that "the Creator" came to Noah in dreams in the movie. The bible version has God talking to Noah (from a cloud?).

Is the movie propaganda for not eating meat?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 09:59 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

A radio commentator said that "the Creator" came to Noah in dreams in the movie. The bible version has God talking to Noah (from a cloud?).

Is the movie propaganda for not eating meat?

It does have a very pro-veganesque pull towards the movie. Another point taken off of it's IMDb score! Razz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:01 am
Just curious:
Am I the only one in this entire discussion who ACTUALLY SAW the film already?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:02 am
@tsarstepan,
you sound surprised...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:04 am
@Rockhead,
That was naive. You're right. I shouldn't have been surprised. Razz
Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:07 am
@tsarstepan,
this is a2k.

where everyone is an expert, whether they actually know anything or not...
0 Replies