Translate this elder Latin into English

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:16 am
Hi!
I found this on a sign i Rome and I need it translated for an essay. Google translate gives me a kind of incoherent answer.
QUAE MODO PUTRIS ERASET OLENTI SORDIDA COENO PLENAQUE DEFORMI MARTIA TERRA SITU EXUIS HANCTUR PEM XYSTO SUB PRINCIPE FORMAM OMNIA SUNTNIT ID IS CONSPI CENTA LOCIS, DIGNA SALUTIFERO DEBENTUR PREMIA XYSTO O QUANTUM EST SUMMO DEBITA ROMA DUCI VIA FLOREA
BAPTISTA ARCHIONIUS ET LUDIVICEUS MARGANIUS
CURATORES VIAR
ANNO SALUTIS MCCCCLXXXIII
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,544 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:30 am
@elinkristina,
Shouldn't 1483 read MCDLXXXIII ?

The upgrading of a neighborhood in 1483 is recorded by an inscription in verse, set into a building on the Via dei Balestrari, at one corner of the Campo dei Fiori: QUAE MODO PUTRIS ERAS ET OLENTI SORDIDA COENO PLENAQUE DEFORMI MARTIA TERRA SITU EXUIS HANC TURPEM XYSTO SUB PRINCIPE FORMAM OMNIA SUNT NITIDIS CONSPICIENDA LOCIS. DIGNA SALUTIFERO DEBENTUR PREMIA XYSTO; O QUANTUM EST SUMMO DEBITA ROMA DUCI!

''You field of Mars, who before were decaying and filthy with foul-smelling slime, filled with ugly neglect, under Pope Sixtus [ IV ] doff this shameful condition. Everything is admirable in clean surroundings. A worthy reward is due to Sixtus, bringer of health. How much Rome owes to its supreme leader!''

New York Times
timur

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:32 am
elinkristina wrote:
Google translate gives me a kind of incoherent answer.
Obviously..

Quote:
The upgrading of a neighborhood in 1483 is recorded by an inscription in verse, set into a building on the Via dei Balestrari, at one corner of the Campo dei Fiori: QUAE MODO PUTRIS ERAS ET OLENTI SORDIDA COENO PLENAQUE DEFORMI MARTIA TERRA SITU EXUIS HANC TURPEM XYSTO SUB PRINCIPE FORMAM OMNIA SUNT NITIDIS CONSPICIENDA LOCIS. DIGNA SALUTIFERO DEBENTUR PREMIA XYSTO; O QUANTUM EST SUMMO DEBITA ROMA DUCI!

''You field of Mars, who before were decaying and filthy with foul-smelling slime, filled with ugly neglect, under Pope Sixtus [ IV ] doff this shameful condition. Everything is admirable in clean surroundings. A worthy reward is due to Sixtus, bringer of health. How much Rome owes to its supreme leader!''
0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:36 am
@Lordyaswas,
Ok, you were faster than I..
0 Replies

elinkristina

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:09 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thank you! I don't no any Latin, therefor all of the interesting word combinations, where things are suppose to be separated etc. I hope it, at least, to be entertaining! It entertained me when I Google translated it and got:

"What a rotten filthy mud and full of ugly and smelly cut strips of this enterprise colonnade, the chief form of martial land position that is visible for hundreds of things are not the places worth saving due to the rewards of the colonnade However, due Rome led the way flowers on top

Baptist archionius and ludiviceus Margan
personnel of the ways
the year mcccclxxxiii"
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:32 am
@elinkristina,
I don't really know Latin either, it's just that I was lucky with my googling!

Copy the first three or four ( or more) words and stick them in to google with a " at either end.

On this occasion....bingo!

I've just noticed that I beat Timur by about a minute or so. Must be the fish oil I took this morning!
0 Replies

kiuku

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:57 pm
@elinkristina,
QUAE MODO PUTRIS ERASET OLENTI SORDIDA COENO PLENAQUE DEFORMI MARTIA TERRA SITU EXUIS HANCTUR PEM XYSTO SUB PRINCIPE FORMAM OMNIA SUNTNIT ID IS CONSPI CENTA LOCIS, DIGNA SALUTIFERO DEBENTUR PREMIA XYSTO O QUANTUM EST SUMMO DEBITA ROMA DUCI VIA FLOREA
BAPTISTA ARCHIONIUS ET LUDIVICEUS MARGANIUS
CURATORES VIAR
ANNO SALUTIS MCCCCLXXXIII

Summary:
The problem or the concern is Logic and what it has to do with Jesus, who is loved by all. Arch Bishop signed it, in signe contest, Pope that's Viar, then that's how they do the year but I'm actually contesting this line myself in other Latin documents older than that, but that's how they do that here. This is a Bishop's document contesting vulgar logic, or the dispute in, surrounding criticism of Christ; a problem of logic that was eloquently written, probably why it's on a tomb, that Lord is in the center of everything, how can it be a conspiracy or a matter of logic? and the dispute is in logic. An eloquent challenge to matters where logic is principally involved.

QUAE MODO: the matter at hand
PUTRIS ERASET: bad will, I think, and OLENTI: talked about, I think, discussed, from Alleged.
ROMA DUCI VIA FLOREA: of Rome through the duke of florence
CONSPI CENTA LOCIS: conspiracy of logic
BAPTISTA ARCHIONIUS: arch bishop
Premia Xysto: Jesus Christ
CURATORES VIAR: written by the Pope
kiuku

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 05:06 pm
@kiuku,
MARTIA TERRA: Military command
kiuku

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 05:24 pm
@kiuku,
Good luck with your essay; that could be a very long essay because it challenges the merits of logic. It is written to the military command, hence rights and stuff like that.
0 Replies