Predicate Logic Questions Help!!! Urgent!!

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:55 pm
Hi people, I need the help regarding the following questions.

For question 1, can I say it is valid but unsound? I am sure of the validity but not the soundness part.
Same for question 2, can I say this sentence is valid but sound? Not sure on the soundness part too.
For question 3, is the answer options a and b?
For question 4, do not really understand it.

Your guidance would be appreciated!!

1)"Everything is white; therefore, Socrates is white" is
valid and sound.
valid and unsound.
invalid and unsound.
invalid and sound.

2) "Something is Greek; therefore, Socrates is Greek" is
valid and sound.
valid and unsound.
invalid and sound.
invalid and unsound.

3) "Every effect has some cause" has the forms (more than one may be correct):
a) (∀x)(Fx ⊃ (∃y)(Gy & Rxy))
b) (∃y)(Gy & (∀x)(Fx ⊃ Rxy))
c) (∀x)(Fx & (∃y)(Gy ⊃ Rxy))
d) (∃y)(Gy ⊃ (∀x)(Fx & Rxy))

4) "Something caused everything" may be translated as "(∃x)(∀y)Fxy" or "(∀y)(∃x)Fxy". Complete the following interpretation, in which a is the only object in the domain, in a way which makes both translations true.

F a
a ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,734 • Replies: 2
No top replies

kiuku

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:22 pm
@xxkazamaxx,
as an extension of the other list you posted, all I'll tell you is that they are definitely trick questions; the other ones were anyway, but still-the questions are designed to gauge your basic knowledge of philosophy.

I don't think these are from your teacher.

You don't understand knowledge functions. Like, these aren't from a philosophy class so why must you answer them is my curiousity? Why don't you know knowledge functions? Why are you expected to know knowledge functions such that someone has put you to the test? Why don't you know what an ontological argument is by the other set of questions?

It's testing your general knowledge of "truth"

You're obviously not in a philosophy class, and these are spitefully written. This person is wondering whether you can state a fact, at all, whether you know what common phrases mean in philosophy. The questions are trick questions designed to gauge your basic comprehension of knowledge. Someone is mad at you. I literally cannot tell you.

This person wonders whether you know your name, so to speak, where concerns Philosophy as a subject matter or the general principles of philosophy.
kiuku

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:38 pm
@kiuku,
if it was unfair revenge I would answer them, but, possibly it is fair. Maybe if you explain how you got this angry list, I would help you.
0 Replies