BigEgo

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:48 pm
@chai2,
Might be all you have but some people step out of the house every now and then, try it sometime.
Region Philbis

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:49 pm
@BigEgo,
Quote:
I see the twelve or so regular posters are tagging the threads to suit them, typical.
you like to tag threads too, don't you...
chai2

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:54 pm
@BigEgo,
Well, it is all I have actually.

I can't leave the house unless my aide comes by and bathes, dresses me and gets me up into the wheelchair, and that's 3 times a week. When I do get out, I get easily short of breath from my lung condition, so it's not really that fun.
0 Replies

BigEgo

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh yeah, and why wouldn't I? Isn't it allowed to tag any thread with any description you please?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:57 pm
Quote:
My Tags
Republican Idiot, Republican Idiots, Republicans Are Idiots, Conservative Hysteria, Foolish Republicans, Republican Are Idiots, Conservatives, Gop, Politics, Idiot Poster, Republicans, Republican Fools, Foolish Uneducated Republican, Racist Republicans, Republican Party, Another ******* God Thread, Uneducated Republican, Conservative Panic, Racism, Abuzz, a2k, U S-Politics, Community, Republican Terrorist, Sports, Entertainment, Christians, Tea Baggers, Republican Fool, Jackass Setanta, Lazy Bastard, Relationships, Fox News, Teabaggers, Hate For Sale, News, Republican Bullshit, Rand Paul, Republican Nonsense, Tea Bagger, Repuclicans, Gungasnake Is An Asshole, Asshats, Repulsive Republican, Christian Idiots, He Should Be Banned, Atheism, Setanta, Screw God, Hes Your Daddy, Gop Sucks, Site Usage, Get A Life, Hillary For President, Cyber Bully, Gop Dolts, able2know, Religion, Separation Of Church And State, Republican Garbage, Blow Hard
http://able2know.org/user/bigego/tags/
BigEgo

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:58 pm
@Region Philbis,
And so your point is?

Isn't it allowed to tag a thread anyway you want?
bobsal u1553115

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:59 pm
@chai2,
Dang Chai, don't ever get mad at me!
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:04 pm
@BigEgo,
BigEgo wrote:

And so your point is?

Isn't it allowed to tag a thread anyway you want?

So what's the matter BigEgo?

You can thumb me down, but can't address the person who's going to be dead in 6 months?

BigMan.
Region Philbis

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:04 pm
@BigEgo,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I've explained that the tags are intended to be a means to save threads that you find relevant, as well as a means of creating new forums and organizing topics but it's to be expected that it would also be used for fun, and for doing things like leaving anonymous graffiti.

Thing is, it won't be anonymous forever and eventually topics will be able to display who tagged it and tags are increasingly going to be a way that members get to determine the fate of the community. Talk about a subject enough and it's place on the site gets more prominent. And for this reason systemic use of tags as graffiti can have negative effects for the rest of us. Here's an example from the home page right now:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5137/37796585.jpg

The propaganda crap that comes at us from new accounts and new ips incessantly (despite a large number of them being blocked) is often tagged humorously (and responded to) each of which action votes up the topic and the tagging also has the effect of creating special forums to collect these topics. In this case these propaganda spammers have scored a coup with a nice home page link to their nonsense on able2know. This came courtesy of a small number of users who probably didn't intend for this to happen so the obvious solution is for us to tweak the related tags algorithm to rely on more of the crowd. But more of the crowd helping out would also be way cool. The way tags work with the site is going to continue to evolve and become more apparent but the short version is:

Tagging a topic is intended to bookmark it so that you can see it in your list of tagged topics and by doing so send a signal to the community that you find the topic worthy of saving. So tagging dumb topics with humorous tags has the effect of promoting the dumb topic.

Tagging also creates a forum for other topics with the same tag. So using it to make comments makes able2know a worse place. We don't need a "so and so was here" forum, and while there will always be folks who will use it that way if the tool is open that way I'd like to appeal to more of the regulars here to help us out by: 1) tagging topics that you think are worth recommending to others, 2) using tags you think are appropriate forums that others would find useful.

We'll work on making the software do better at handling open tags and there are a lot of things we aren't yet doing right. Here we should start with ranking related tags by unique user combinations to prevent a single user from being able to have this much of an impact so while we work on making our code do better at extracting the wisdom of crowd I'd also like to appeal to the crowd for more wisdom. If you can't help but go graffiti on the tags we aren't going to get all authoritarian on you and require you to stop but it does cause us more work and at least please avoid systemic use of it that way (e.g. using the same novelty tag too many times) so that it doesn't become too prominent in areas where the tags are used for the communal purposes.
http://able2know.org/topic/139217-1
BigEgo

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
And your point is?
0 Replies

BigEgo

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:07 pm
@chai2,
You bore me. Yawn.
chai2

Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:09 pm
@BigEgo,
So, you're 13, right?
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:49 am
I wasn't here for Abuzz.
But I do agree.
Big E go!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:04 am
Read all about it here and just now:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/mar/27/how-to-cook-the-perfect-digestive-biscuit-felicity-cloake

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/26/1395850394784/Felicity-Cloakes-perfect--007.jpg
neologist

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:07 am
@ossobuco,
Couldn't you wait to take that bite after snapping the pic?
ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:20 am
@neologist,
My teeth marks would be more peculiar.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:31 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

So eat **** and die.

For this truth, no one in this thread can top it. Thank you Chai for the perfect response.http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/emoticons/basic2/cheers.gif
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:40 am
Quote:
BigEgo said: Years ago this place provided some provocative discussions regarding politics and current events. It’s gone downhill. All that is left is mindless dribble. It’s now turned into a place of being of no use for most to participate in just as a tent is useless in wet conditions.

That post was a bit dribbly mate, so you're as guilty as the rest..Smile
If you've got a question to ask or a point to raise, DO IT and you'll get at least a few decent replies and get a good discussion going!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:38 pm
Excellent headline (title) on this thread! That's what this is -- mindless dribble.
0 Replies