Does Vince Wilfork Have A Future with the NE Patriots?

Miller

Tue 25 Mar, 2014 07:39 am
Sources: Vince Wilfork has already cleaned out Patriots locker

Monday, March 24, 2014
Karen Guregian

ORLANDO — Following the initial discussion between the Patriots and Vince Wilfork over altering his contract, the nose tackle not only asked for his release, but also made a stop in the locker room to grab his belongings before walking out of Gillette Stadium.

According to two sources, an angry Wilfork ripped his name plate off his locker stall, and cleaned out his locker. That's how Big Vince felt about the proceedings. Naturally, time and distance can change perspective, but Wilfork seemed convinced he was done in New England.

Asked today about Wilfork's desire to be set loose, Patriots owner Robert Kraft struck a measured tone, hoping that things might eventually work out with the five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman.

"Going back over the last 20 years, if I was to think, we've had some pretty special people come through. And he's one of my personal favorites. I'm thinking of Tedy Bruschi, and Matt Light, and Kevin Faulk and Troy Brown. They made their careers with us, and I sure hope Vince will be with us next year," Kraft told reporters. "In modern day athletes, in pro sports, it's a business as well as commitment to one another. We have to work through it. I'm still not giving up hope that he'll be a part of our team next year."

Kraft didn't go into any details about any personal discussions he might have had with Wilfork.

“We’ve been very close and I’ll let Vince speak to whatever he feels is appropriate. We’re probably results-oriented and life is about execution so either we get it done or we don’t,'' Kraft said. "I very much hope we get it done, and I believe he very much would like to do it as well. We’ve been so lucky to have him. So we’ll see what happens.”

Kraft and Wilfork have a tight bond, but in negotiations, the Patriots boss said you have to separate personal feelings from business.

“Unfortunately you do. You know, for him, he’s making some individual decisions. For us, we have to put a team together of over 50 people," Kraft said. "We have a salary cap. In the end, it’s about both parties feeling it’s a good transaction and it’s a win-win. I think that’s what we’re both shooting for.”

Karen Guregian
BostonHerald.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,574 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

Region Philbis

Tue 25 Mar, 2014 10:45 am
@Miller,

sounds like the big fella is ready for a change of scenery...
Miller

Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
It does...
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 28 Mar, 2014 09:24 am
The new contract is for 3 years. One year for sure, the other two are maybes...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does Vince Wilfork Have A Future with the NE Patriots?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 07:24:55