Halogen to LED.. Halogen started smoking

bmw123

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 06:45 pm
Hello,

Converted our halogen Puck lights under the cabinets to new led ones and I am experiencing a few problems. There are a total of 12 pucks lights and yesterday I received 5 in the mail. On one switch there are between 3-5 lights. This is where it gets weird...I first changed out the three on the switch and they wouldnt turn on all together.. If there is 1 led puck and 2 of the original halogen installed on the circuit they all work.. 2 leds 1 halogen all work.. BUT I just noticed that when the 2 leds were on the single halogen started to smoke.. I am guessing that I am overloading the transformer..

We moved into this house 6 months ago after the previous owner renovated it so we have no idea where the 120v to 12v transformer is. I would change it IF I could find it. Is there anyway I could find the transformer behind the walls without ripping them apart?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 06:52 pm
Generally lights with transformers each have their own small transformer with each fitting, very close behind it. I'd consider it unusual to have a single 12 v transformer with a long run to various light fittings, but each country does it differently.
bmw123

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 07:04 pm
@Wilso,
I am in Canada. I can see the wires form the puck lights going towards the wall but I lose it then
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 07:29 pm
Have a roof cavity/attic? I wouldn't put a transformer in a wall, but we all have different rules, and you don't know who did the work. Sometimes a physical trace of wires is the only option left.
0 Replies