Control of the Internet

gollum

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:49 am
I believe the Internet is presently operated by a contractor to the U.S. government and that there is a plan to transfer it to international control.

Can the U.S. government refuse to transfer it and continue the present arrangement indefinitely?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 612 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:00 am
@gollum,
Do you have any evidence that the US control the internet?
gollum

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
On March 14, the Commerce Department's National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) issued a press release stating its intent to "transition key Internet domain name functions to the global multistakeholder community" from its current contractor, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

The plan is to "transition the current role played by NTIA in the coordination of the Internet's domain name system (DNS)" to "global stakeholders."
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:52 am
@gollum,
I know I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to all this, but surely you are just talking about the domain names, and not the working nuts and bolts of the internet.
Is there a web expert that can explain it to me, bearing in mind I have only just put aside my quill pen?
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:26 pm
@Lordyaswas,
You are correct..it's just the task of assignment of domain names..not control of the Internet.

Gollum:
Had you taken the time and Googled the keyword 'NTIA', you'd have gotten this hit and the explanation titled:

NTIA Announces Intent to Transition Key Internet Domain Name Functions"

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions"

This by the wildest stretch of imagination is "control of the Internet".
gollum

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman-
Thank you.

Many be you are right. Still, administering the DNS is a key function that correlates easy-to-remember domain names to IP addresses, an essential component to making the Internet work.
Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:29 am
@gollum,
Might I make this analogy? Were I assigned to help name your kids and reserve their rights to have that unique name, I'd have some importance in their lives but I wouldn't be assigned how to control them or their behavior.
0 Replies