2014 March Madness NCAA Tourney thread!

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 02:01 pm
Can't really setup a contest here as the bracket is too unwieldy to deal with and the 64 teams and their respective matchup a bit too difficult to fit into a single posting.

So? Who are your Final Four teams? Do you predict any major Second Round upsets? Whose your favorite team? Expect them to do well?

Which school did you think was snubbed in the choices?

ME? I always choose an Ivy League upset. They really are due for one. Their tournie shots are so bloody close every year. So Let's GO HARVARD! That's my biggest upset of this year's tournament.

My Final Four matchup?
Syracuse vs. UConn;
Wisconsin vs. Duke;

The Championship:
UConn vs. Wisconsin = UConn winning it all!

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
for supposedly being the #2 overall seed, Wichita State drew the toughest region by far. (imho)

just gonna sit back and root for the improbable undefeated run to the title.

the odds are stacked against us...

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:17 am
@tsarstepan,
My Final Four matchups:
Kansas vs. Wisconsin
Iowa State vs. Wichita State.

The Championship:
Kansas vs. Wichita State = SHOCKERS winning it all!!

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:25 am
Good opportunity for me to learn somethimg here, as I only have a vague idea as to what's going on.

Am I right in thinking that there is a College League with teams from all over, and this is all taken pretty seriously?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yes, Lordy.

I haven't entered the brackets - for example, on yahoo.com - too late now, except for this thread. Haven't even looked at teams yet (except for the University of New Mexico Lobos and the news about the tough schedule of the very good Wichita State (all sorts of immediate challenges from other good teams)...
because I'm all caught up in baseball fantasy game decision making.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@ossobuco,
Ooh, I'll go and find a list and pick four, just to see how a complete idiot fares.....

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@Lordyaswas,
You could be surprised - sometimes us idiots do well enough.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:39 am
@ossobuco,
OK, so far I've gleaned that there are four areas/regions....mid west, west, south and east.

I'm presuming (from the bracket diagram) that I have to select one team from each.
I shall be back with my selections in a mo, and will probably make people snort their coffee by picking some backwoods no hopers, but never mind...

Back soon.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
I don't remember (doh!) Tico or others will verify. I'm about to hit the baseball websites.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:48 am
North Carolina
Duke
Arizona
UCLA.

No sniggering at the back Tico.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:22 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
... and the news about the tough schedule of the very good Wichita State (all sorts of immediate challenges from other good teams)...

That's quite true. They are in the toughest bracket, and many around these parts are predicting they won't make it out of the second round when then will likely face Kentucky (assuming things go as planned), a former #1 team this year, and if they win that anticipated matchup, they would likely have to face Louisville, last year's champion, in the Sweet Sixteen, and if they happen to win that, they would perhaps face Michigan or Duke in the Great Eight round. Tough, tough road. But as a complete homer, I have faith! 40-0, baby!!

Of course it would be cool if Kansas won too!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
North Carolina

<snort>

Actually, not horrible picks. I don't follow college basketball in depth, but each of the teams you listed are either current or former powerhouses. Who the hell knows. Of your picks, I think Arizona has the best chance to win the title, if they can sneak past Wisconsin.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Am I right in thinking that there is a College League with teams from all over, and this is all taken pretty seriously?

As deadly serious as Brits and their love for Premier League.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
UCLA will be one of mine, once I get to it - for sentiment; don't know where they are on the favored ratings. Also UNM Lobos, thinking they're something like 9th. Oddly, in contrast to football and baseball teams, I'm on the sentimental curve re basketball. I went to UCLA when Wooden was there, nuff said. It was also very close to free back then, thus I could go. $19.00 the first semester, going up to $26.00 the next, ending at a whopping $76.00 at graduation.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 12:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bliimey!

Are these guys paid? Or is it a way of getting a good college place for free/subsidised arrangements.

I saw the Harlem Globetrotters when I was almost a teenager, and played three gsmes at school. I was in the school rugby team and football...er...soccer team and had to go out and kick and punch people whilst getting covered in mud and blood, whilst my mates were back indoors, nice and warm chucking a ball about.

I must admit to enjoying the watching of it though, on the telling vision.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 12:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Or is it a way of getting a good college place for free/subsidised arrangements.

It's the NBA's version of the minor league but the player's are paid. In theory, it's " a way of getting a good college place for free/subsidised arrangements."

But like the SuperBowl, the NCAA Tourney makes a hell of a lot of money for their respective team colleges , for the NCAA, and the TV networks that broadcast the games.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:12 pm
Harvard upsets 5th-seed Cincinnati 61-57
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens-basketball/2014/03/20/harvard-upsets-seed-cincinnati/XSALCKHCOEWg44ermBvMaK/story.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 04:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Didn't you mean aren't paid?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 04:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, I believe it's illegal to pay for players to play other then scholarships, etc....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 03:23 pm
Duke's upset loss to #14 Mercer is a kick in my bracket's stomach. ((Blerg))