COSMOS series

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 07:34 pm
Anyone watching?

Tonight they are discussing evolution. I thought it interesting that one of the commercials was for the movie "Noah".

Now they explaining how the eye evolved.

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 08:28 pm
@IRFRANK,
It's back. It's great. I'm watching.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:13 pm
@Brandon9000,
Me too. Wish we had a lot more tv shows like this to watch.

Morgan Freeman's show, Through the Wormhole, is also back with new episodes.
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:04 am
@Butrflynet,
Any new worms?

Seriously, I love that show and even watch the repeats with enthusiasm.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:42 am
The 'Hall of Extinction'--and the 6 ELAs, millions died so thousands can live.

Yes I'm watching--including the reruns.

Fascinated by the explanation of the process of Science.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:54 am
@raprap,
haven't watched it yet but I will tonite. I like Tyson, hes not one of those fanatic TV scientists like SCott Wolters, whose sold his professional credibility for some cableseries.(Although I was just told by a colleague that Wolters "advanced degrees" were claimed as "honorary" which have no standing and one cannot attain minimum ed time credits by using an Honorary degree.

ANyway, Tyson is a mensch, Ive seen him at the museum come out and teach some kids because he "felt like it"

He was at a NE conference several years ago and, I asked him sign a print poster of pluto (the dog) with a plea to reconsider the ex-planets status. He yocked it up and was happy to do it

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:14 am
@Butrflynet,
Yes. One of the great disappointments to me is how poorly we use TV. What an educational opportunity. Instead we get DD. but, there are some good shows worth watching.
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:21 am
@IRFRANK,
Sorry...but what is DD? I've got a fertile imagination but I'm clueless.
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:51 am
Watching it after reading the New Yorker article on Tyson, a very interesting man
Kudos to the Fox network for agreeing to give Tyson full control of the series.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:16 pm
I watched the first show and found it a pale comparison to the original. Tyson is no Carl Sagan. A big disappointment.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:22 pm
Whomever decides TV schedules should be shot. Putting Cosmos on opposite Walking Dead? WTF? I caught last weeks on Sat and hope to next Sat. Once Walking Dead stops, Game of Thrones starts. So, I'll always be hoping to catch reruns.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I watched the first show and found it a pale comparison to the original. Tyson is no Carl Sagan. A big disappointment.

Duh. He isn't trying to be Sagan. Tyson is a phenomenal scientist and host. Lets just remember it Peter Griffin paying the bills and getting Tyson was a stroke of genius. He IS todays Sagan.

Science has made a ton of new discoveries since Sagan's unfortunate passing and it's great to see this kind of programming back on the air.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:48 pm
@McGentrix,
He is hosting a reboot of Cosmos. If he didn't want to be compared to Sagan, he wouldn't have taken the job. I like the guy, but whether or not he is trying to emulate Sagan, he doesn't bring a sufficiently distinct personae to the project to defy comparisons. Maybe he gets better, and maybe the production values do too, but the first episode was poor. I mean, the static animation was horrible.

I was looking forward to this new Cosmos as much as anyone, but I'm not going to ignore its faults because I want see science popularized on TV.

Michio Kaku would have been a better choice ...IMO
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree about the animation...it seemed cheesy for a sleek series.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Now we got some differences of opinion. That be good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:13 pm
@McGentrix,
I read the NYer article too, a few week ago (hi, panz).

Looking to see if it was one of the locked ones. Don't get me started on locked articles, but I understand their happening, the economic whys. It's such a class info slice that I can hardly stand it, but that is the way of it now re media survival.
Meantime, I can't just find the Tyson article. Their search system is antiquated: not only useless but annoying.

However, we have google:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/17/140217fa_fact_mead
Well, there it is, and it's locked. Which means that to read more than the abstract, if I remember, you have to pay a smallish fee. Or seek it out in your library. My west Albuquerque library has few newspapers or mags.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

He is hosting a reboot of Cosmos. If he didn't want to be compared to Sagan, he wouldn't have taken the job. I like the guy, but whether or not he is trying to emulate Sagan, he doesn't bring a sufficiently distinct personae to the project to defy comparisons. Maybe he gets better, and maybe the production values do too, but the first episode was poor. I mean, the static animation was horrible.

I was looking forward to this new Cosmos as much as anyone, but I'm not going to ignore its faults because I want see science popularized on TV.

Michio Kaku would have been a better choice ...IMO

Tyson has campaigned and campaigned for increased funding of space travel. He's involved as a scientist.

Michio Kaku dumbs science down and acts as though discoveries are on the horizon that are probably centuries away.
raprap

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:29 pm
In the Molecules Show he plays this at the end.

Rap
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The original predated the Discovery Channel. It was substantially better than most of the science programing available to the public at the time.

This new version is just one well-made science documentary out of many. There was no way that it could ever have the impact that the original had.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:06 pm

I was a bit disappointed in their portrayal of the Permian extinction tonight.

Dead dimetrodons? Really?

How about some dead gorgonopsids instead?