What are these rocks?

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:07 am
up in the mountain, i see a common rock that is easy to break and quite sandy in nature...please help me identify these rocks as can be seen on these photos;

http://postimg.org/image/o848z7zup/
http://postimg.org/image/aij3la82f/
http://postimg.org/image/xj1twckzf/
http://postimg.org/image/mb44sm8nj/
http://postimg.org/image/hg4lt1i0z/

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:12 am
@stoneshadow,
Looks volcanic.

Pumice? Basalt?

Fm will tell you.
0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:32 pm
@stoneshadow,
Looks like a sedimentary sandstone or a type of shale. There appears to be a heavy dark patina from weathering (maybe wind driven elements) also. The cleaving you see (breakage or foliation) is formed from weathering (water/ice) along the weaker areas of the structure.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:36 pm
@stoneshadow,
Sandstone?
DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:49 pm
@rosborne979,
Sandstone (sometimes known as arenite) is a clastic sedimentary rock composed mainly of sand-sized minerals or rock grains.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:40 pm
@stoneshadow,
Shad, the first and third probably shale or sandstone as Crow suggests. With the second, a closeup might help. The last of course shows a couple of different kinds of rock

I'd guess with Lordy the second a basalt or maybe even volcanic glass, usu black and often has white spots
rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:14 pm
@DarkCrow,
DarkCrow wrote:
Sandstone (sometimes known as arenite) is a clastic sedimentary rock composed mainly of sand-sized minerals or rock grains.

Right. So it might be Sandstone.
DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:39 pm
@rosborne979,
Yep, you said it.
0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:42 pm
@dalehileman,
taking a second look...it does seem metamorphic. If we had info on the location we could look at the geo maps. USGS maps are online somewheres.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 04:43 am
@stoneshadow,
Are you in the Central valley of California? Like S of Lassen peak?

The photos aren't the best but
1 looks like it could either be a massive sandstone or a felsite (n igneous rock ). I see no evidence of bedding

2This too could be a layered sandstone (ss) or an exfoliated igneous rock with chunks of crystals within it (called a porphyry)

3This looks like a felsite

4 This looks like layered volcanics.(There appears no real evidence of "upward fining" in the two layers . BUT, just like before, it could be that the bottom layer is a conglomerate that was eroded along its top AND A VERY FINE SEDIMENT deposited on top(while this is possible it is a a bit improbable)

5To me this looks like a basaltic rock deposited on top of an ash layer. (This is common in the northern central valley of California)

As Mr Crow says, itd be good to show geologic map of the area . (AND , net time, get a macro lens nd get some better close ups with a coin in the picture for scale)
Always have something in your picture for scale, (the bigger the feature the bigger the scale item).
If you don't have a geo map, then post a road map with a dot (make sure you hve enough political information SO ONE OF US CAN FIND IT ON A GEO MAP.

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 06:53 am
@farmerman,
I thought it looked like basalt.

Looking at the last two pictures, I immediately thought Tenerife.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 08:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
Im not saying Im 100% correct ,but Id need some better pix to convince.
The very first on does look sedimentary but all the others look like volcanics or mixed volcanic so I assumed number 1 was from the same outcrop.

Never know till we have a map of the area
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 08:54 am
@farmerman,
I could always do a methodical combing with google earth until I find it. There's a distinctive plant in the background that I'm sure I could pinpoint.
0 Replies

stoneshadow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:03 am
@DarkCrow,
this is the location:

latitude: 17°43'33.73"N
longitude: 121°46'41.06"E

seems like the rocks there are the same...
stoneshadow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:05 am
@farmerman,
thanks for this. i will get a better close up when i go back to the place.

i'm interested in the stone structure since i would like to know what trees or crops would be able to survive in this kind of stone areas
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:42 am
The position he has given is in the Balbalasang-Balbalan National Park on the Philippine island of Luzon, about 350 kilometers almost due north of Manila.
DarkCrow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:37 am
@stoneshadow,
The Geo and Bio diversity of that region is unreal. I found many Biology studies of the flora and fauna but so far not much on geomorpholgy and soil composition. I wonder if Nat Geo ever did a photo essay in this region? So beautiful.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:57 am
@DarkCrow,
If the site is on Luzon then the area is mostly porphyry, trachytes, and syenites. Its a pretty complex subduction area with plenty volcanics. We did a copper porphyry study on Luzon some years ago when I still did overseas stuff.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
If it's in the Philippines then these rocks could be compressed volcanic ash as well.
Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:33 pm
Why does everyone keep saying "if?" One hundred twenty degrees east--that should have been your first clue--not Europe, Africa or the Americas.

As for what these rocks may be, i candidly confess complete ignorance. I know what an igneous or sedimentary rock is, but i wouldn't know one if it up and bit me in the ass--figuratively speaking, of course. Hmmm . . . FM, have rocks ever bitten you in the ass?