My recruiter told me to lie at meps

waffels

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:08 pm
I have self harm scars from the one time I cut about 3 years ago, theyre very light but I do know this is an automatic PDQ. My recruiter said to lie through my teeth and the only way they can prove it is self mutilation is if I admit it because I have no history of depression. I'm worried that I will be permanently disqualified, my dad is a doctor and he was able to tell a few days after i cut myself but its been years, should i lie and if i do can i get away with it?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:43 am
@waffels,
It might work. I see no harm in trying. If they catch you then you have lost nothing but a bit of time, correct?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:08 am
@waffels,
The subject will probably never arise. My recollection of the induction physical is bending forward and spreading my cheeks. When we stood up, the doc knew we had no back problems and the prostate was just fine. You are probably overthinking this.

If you chose to lie and it's discovered later, the likelihood is that you will be discharged for fraudulent enlistment. This is an undesirable discharge.
0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:47 pm
@waffels,
I am a former Air Force officer, 11 yrs, left as a B52G Captain. So my take is slanted. Old school answer: Never lie about anything in life. It always catches up with you. You will be taking an oath, lying is not part of that oath. Many people lie and get away with it. If you live your life as a liar, then so be it. You are your word. Now, all that comes from couseling countless airmen and even my own sons. In todays world, "truth avoidance"seems to be more acceptable. I wasn't raised that way. Being truthful always makes you stand taller...feel better about yourself. If you are depressive in nature, the military may not be the best place for you. It has pressures and situations that really test a persons psyche. P.S. Tell your Recruiter he is a disgrace to his uniform. Be a better man than him.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 08:18 am
You don't say how old you are.

I suppose this depends on your age, the extent, and reasons for your self harming at that time.

If this kind of outlook on life is in your character, then don't go into a field where there is pressure - because you WILL be pressured at boot camp and after, believe me. They break you down to build you up again - as a soldier.

Military requires self discipline, a willingness to follow orders and patience.

Not everyone can do this.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 08:39 am
@waffels,
Most of us lie to smooth our way through life, for examp I once applied for a factory job after being unemployed for several years and when the interviwer asked me what on earth i'd been doing for all those years, I lied and told him "I was in a rock group trying to make the bigtime" and he seemed to swallow it and set me on. The truth was i'd been bumming around the country looking for hippy communes to join and have never touched a musical instrument in my life!

In your case, if they spot your scars at the medical i'd probably say something like- "I got them when I ran into a fence while out jogging".
Remember, the recruiter must have liked you and wanted you, so you'd be simply following his orders by fibbing..Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:14 am
@DarkCrow,
DarkCrow wrote:

I am a former Air Force officer, 11 yrs, left as a B52G Captain. So my take is slanted. Old school answer: Never lie about anything in life. It always catches up with you. You will be taking an oath, lying is not part of that oath. Many people lie and get away with it. If you live your life as a liar, then so be it. You are your word. Now, all that comes from couseling countless airmen and even my own sons. In todays world, "truth avoidance"seems to be more acceptable. I wasn't raised that way. Being truthful always makes you stand taller...feel better about yourself. If you are depressive in nature, the military may not be the best place for you. It has pressures and situations that really test a persons psyche. P.S. Tell your Recruiter he is a disgrace to his uniform. Be a better man than him.

All of those guys who lied about their age to get into WW2 were a disgrace, correct?
DarkCrow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you trying to bait me? The greater question you are asking is: When is it alright to lie? That is for each person to decide based on a particular situation. I submit that for this situation the Recruiter is not in compliance with military standards. I know SOME Recruiters lie cheat and steal to get recruits in the door and processed. That leads to downstream problems as it did with SOME WWII soldiers. Others performed bravely. I had to deal with many airmen that had issues predating entry and had we known, we could have avoided some crimes and injuries/death on the job. Alcohol/drug abuse being the main problem. I had a B52 Gunner with severe depression and alcohol/pill abuse and he eventually commited suicide by ejecting unstrapped. I always wondered if his undiagnosed depression predated induction. So I stand by my OPINION that this Recruiter is a disgrace. We hired him to be better than this. He is our first line of critical analysis of the fitness of new troops. I am STILL willing to die to defend your right to disagree with me. My oath was a lifetime commitment to our Constitution.
0 Replies

garyperez

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:08 am
my daughter recently tried to enroll in the army her recruiter. tested her for asvap test she scored high. he had us go get her medical records. her tx i.d. . made it sound like we were ready for my daughter to go to m.e.p.s. in a couple weeks we went in to take her paperwork. he saw her forearm. she had some old cutting scars from when she was 12.. and automatically said she was disqualified. from joining any branch.. he said she can never join the military.... it basically just crushed my daughter.. is there anything we can do. were from midland tx any information will be appreciated
0 Replies

Purp69

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2017 01:10 am
I think its bullshit that you get disqualified for self harm scars. You should have to go through a mental exam to really determine if your mentally okay for the military or not. Its not fair if someone is trying to better themselves and they get turned down because of some **** that they did in the past
XgudwilX

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2017 12:52 pm
@Purp69,
Yeah I agree.. plus 99.9% of the teeny boppers scratching themselves could use a dose of reality. The ones that want to die, they cut themselves once & they aint comin back. (rip)
Enuff of this MTV "my daddy hates me" fairytale/"reality" bullshit.
Wipe the makeup off and sign up. Or don't.
0 Replies