Why do things have to beep?

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:05 pm
I am sitting at work minding my own business and I hear this irrating beeping noise. Seems some guy has some handheld thingy (probably for mail) and keeps scanning this stuff and it is beeping every time. Made me think -- lots of things beep that do not need to.

Why do these things have to beep?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,746 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:15 pm
@Linkat,

nothing in the office should beep -- except the microwave... Smile
roger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
If the refrigerator beeps when you open the door, it's an invasion of privacy.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:09 pm
@Linkat,
Link I thik the beep is necessary for the obvious reasons where it might be necessary for something to announce itself. However easy means should be provided for controlling its volume or entirely changing its essence, attributes

Our intrusion alarm dings each time the front door is open, sounding a whole lot like the regular "doorbell" but there's no easy way to disable it or make it sound different 'less one is a computer programmer
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 06:03 am
@dalehileman,
Well the thingy has a little light/screen so unless you are blind (which would be difficult to drive a truck and deliver mail) you can see the item is recorded.

I think people just like to hear the beep --and our microwave can be adjusted so it doesn't beep.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:08 pm
@Linkat,
Aha, I see, Link
…No I really don't. Presumably by "thingy" you mean a device such as phone or tablet. Presumably he carries it in is pocket so the reason for the beep is to announce a new message

Incidentally I'd assume your wave something like our Oster requiring 25 keystrokes to do nearly anything. It beeps too, even after heating if you forget to remove the food
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 03:00 pm
@dalehileman,
Its like a hand scanner. To record when they drop off mail.
DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
Herbie #53, my old '63 VW Beetle beeped too. Not sure why. Maybe Lindsay Lohan had something to do with it??
roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 03:57 pm
@DarkCrow,
Just out of curiosity, Crow, did it only beep when you tapped the horn button?
DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:47 pm
@roger,
No, only when I ignored it whilst talking to a pretty girl. It would also roll its headlights. Once it backed itself up into a garage so a pretty mechanic could work on it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:00 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If the refrigerator beeps when you open the door, it's an invasion of privacy.

I thought it was warning you to close the door or it would reverse over you.
roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:35 pm
@Wilso,
Thanks. Till now, I considered it to be the least threatening of my appliances. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the light really does go out when I close the door.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:29 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Its like a hand scanner.
Aha, thanks Link but since we've discussed several Its, exactly what It is it to which you have ref for mail drop off, that is, what's it called, is it "hand scanner"

…..Really, it's something I've long wondered about and might like to find myself one
0 Replies