Share your silly local news

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 06:05 pm
From the Portland Police blotter.....

Quote:
On Sunday March 9, 2014, at 7:55 p.m., Central Precinct officers responded to a residence in The Yards at Union Station, located at 945 Northwest Naito Parkway, on the report that the family's 22 pound house cat attacked a baby inside the residence and that the family was penned inside a bedroom to keep away from the charging feline.

9-1-1 operators confirmed that the child did not need medical attention before sending officers to contain the kitty. The 9-1-1 operator stayed on the phone with the caller to insure the family, including the dog, remained safe in the bedroom as the cat screeched in the background.

As officers rushed out the door of Central Precinct, one of them retrieved a dog snare to use as a possible tool to take custody of the cat.

Officers arrived and cautiously opened the door to the residence, where they saw the black and white Himalayan dart into the kitchen, attempting to flee custody. Officers were able to outwit the high-strung Himalayan, who climbed on to the top of the refrigerator, and get a snare around the cat and safely get the cat behind bars in its crate.

Officers then told the family that it was safe to come out of the bedroom. The cat remained behind bars in the custody of the family and officers cleared the scene and continued to fight crime elsewhere in the city.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,621 • Replies: 16

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 06:18 pm
@boomerang,
At least it wasn't an Abyssinian - they love me too much (I'm allergic).

Good idea for a thread, Boom.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sure something silly will show up here in a day or two.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:49 pm
@boomerang,
Where to start...where to start...

They're building a Margaritaville here.
In Tulsa, Oklahoma.
On the banks of the (mostly dry) Arkansas River.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:07 pm
Cairns court told of the $20,000 lie to taxpayers to impress a girlfriend
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-court-told-of-the-20000-lie-to-taxpayers-to-impress-a-girlfriend/story-fnjpusyw-1226851037393

A CAIRNS man who cooked up an extravagant lie in an apparent bid to glean attention from his girlfriend cost taxpayers more than $20,000 last year.

Benjamin Coglan, 28, made a phone call on July 4 last year and stated a helicopter had crashed off Michaelmas Cay, a large coral cay situated about 40km off Cairns in the Great Barrier Reef.

He fronted Cairns Magistrates Court via video link yesterday and pleaded guilty to providing false information to the Commonwealth.

Police prosecutor Tara Williams told the court Coglan's misleading phone call prompted an emergency air-based search and rescue operation which lasted for more than three hours.

The helicopter, which Coglan reported to have crashed, was found to be safely secured in an aircraft hangar.

"It did call to service the highest of rescue authorities," Ms Williams said.

The search cost the Australian Maritime Safety Authority a total of $20,528.

Coglan's solicitor Scott Osborne said Coglan was "highly intoxicated" at the time.

"He became highly intoxicated, he called his girlfriend at the time and wanted her to feel sorry for him," he said.

Coglan was too inebriated to realise he had spoken to Airservices Australia until he started receiving text messages from them, Mr Osborne told the court.

He said Coglan planned to sell his motorbike and car to repay the cost of the search.

"It is a very large amount of restitution, he does have the ability to repay over half of that," Mr Osborne told the court.

Magistrate Robert Spencer told Coglan it was "very serious" offending.

"You can see how a simple phone call has cost the Australian taxpayers about $20,000," he said. "It can never happen again."

Magistrate Spencer sentenced Coglan to six months' imprisonment with immediate release on parole and ordered he repay the $20,528 sum generated by the deceptive exploration.

Coglan said he was "very sorry".

He was also last month sentenced to 18 months' jail after appearing in Cairns District Court for persistently stalking a woman he met through an online dating website, forcing her to change jobs, homes and phone numbers.

Coglan was eligible for parole for those offences yesterday, having already served more than seven months in custody.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:05 am
@boomerang,
I heard this on the radio this morning. So this news story made it all the way to the east coast where people called in and made fun of this "man" unable to protect his family from a killer cat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:11 am
Not directly from the news... but I live in a small town now, where I guess the police and fire department do not get much too do.

One evening I look out my window to see 4 or 5 fire engines across the street at my neighbors. I grab a coat to run out and make sure they are alright. Seems in their family room, they have electric heating along the baseboard. One of them starting sparking and little flames came out - so they called the fire department. It seems the entire fire department came - no fire just the little sparks.

Another time - I am leaving for work -- there were a half dozen police cars around. I saw them stopping my neighbors (not the same ones) as they were driving out and appeared to be asking them questions. When I left, they didn't stop me, but there were more cars a bit further down. When I got to work I decided to call as my daughter is home alone when she gets home - to make sure it wasn't anything dangerous. They simply told me that they had got the individuals they were looking for and everything was safe.

I reach out to my neighbor later and it appears that someone broke into their car and stole some items.

Yep - we must live on the wrong side of the tracks in our town.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@boomerang,
From the local paper -- why is this news?

Young Deer Mouse Cat Attack Victim
March 10, 2014 6:40 p.m.
This is a young deer mouse that we got in recently. He was the victim of a minor cat attack, but we treated him with antibiotics and he quickly gained back his appetite and energy. He was released this weekend and is presumably exploring the nature trails around NEWC at this very moment!

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 01:13 pm
@Linkat,
Do I sense a trend in cat attack news?
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:03 pm
@boomerang,
Well in your story - the guy kicked the cat -- wonder why it was so mean.
boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:52 pm
@Linkat,
He kicked the cat after it clawed the baby.

I love cats. I have two. But some cats are mean. My dog was attacked by a couple of city cats and it was terrifying!

I had a not nice cat for 15 eggshell walking years. She just barely tolerated us but I guess she liked us better than anyone else. I cried when she died (but not very much).
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 03:43 am
From my local paper, not really a funny story until you read the highlighted section.
Quote:

IT WASN’T quite the test she was expecting when she was interviewed for a top job at a Hampshire school.

But today a Hampshire schoolboy has her to thank for the fact he is alive – after he collapsed and suffered a heart attack on the sports hall floor.

PE teacher Emma Denham, below, was being observed taking a class as part of the interview process at Mountbatten School, in Romsey, when Sam Mangoro’s heart stopped, sending him into cardiac arrest.
But quick-thinking Emma, along with three other members of staff, ran to his aid and gave him life-saving CPR using a defibrillator that the school had only purchased a few months before.

It was their courage and ability to put their training into practice under such immense pressure, along with the fact that the school had a defibrillator, that saved the 16-yearold’s life say doctors.

Sam, below, was last night being slowly woken up from a medically induced coma, which he has been in since the incident on Thursday, but his parents are hopeful thanks to the teachers who gave him the best possible chance of making a full recovery.
His dad Michael told the Daily Echo: “We would like to thank every single member of staff from the school from the bottom of our hearts.

“They have given us our son back, because without them we wouldn’t have him.

“We are quietly optimistic because the critical thing was that the treatment he received at the school from the teachers was absolutely incredible and that’s given him every fighting chance.”

He added: “They did an absolutely amazing and wonderful thing under immense pressure and I am sure in what must have been a lot of fear.”
The drama happened on Thursday afternoon when Emma Denham was being observed by two other teachers – Jon Neale and deputy head Joanna Scott – as she took a class in the gym.

Just a few minutes in, after the children had warmed-up, Sam suddenly stopped breathing and collapsed.

Within seconds he was being given CPR by Emma, support staff and first aiders Lyn Lovell and Janet Barrett and assistant deputy head Mark Chance.

Mrs Scott immediately ran to get the defibrillator – which the school had only bought a matter of months before – and Mr Neale ran outside to direct the paramedics.

The teenager had to be shocked four times to restart his heart and the team were able to get him stable enough for paramedics to get him in an ambulance and to Southampton General Hospital.
Mrs Scott told the Daily Echo: “Everything just seemed to be in slow motion but we just did everything we possibly could. The other children were just amazing and were so sensible, all leaving the gymso we could work on Sam.

“We are all still very emotional about it, but at the time you don’t think. Autopilot just sets in and you get on with what you need to do.

“It is overwhelming to think about what we did but we were all part of a team that helped to save Sam’s life.

“What is important is that we get the message out there that every single school needs a defibrillator.”

Head teacher Heather McIlroy, below, soon received a call from one of the consultants treating Sam to praise her staff, who, he said, had saved the teenager’s life.
Mrs McIlroy, who told the Daily Echo that, regrettably, Miss Denham did not get the job despite her heroics, said: “It is nothing short of a miracle

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11064335.Hero_teacher_on_job_interview_saves_pupil_in_heart_attack_drama_at_school/

Just what do you have to do to get a job at that bloody school?
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 05:58 am
@boomerang,
I do know what you mean. My first cat -- that I had on my own -- not when I was a kid, could be classified as a mean cat. She loved me, but no one else. The vet had to put her in a cat bag to give her a shot. After that he gave me a pill to give her before bringing her to the vet. And she was a small thin little thing not a 22 pounder. But she'd never hurt me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 06:01 am
@izzythepush,
all i can say is glad my kids don't attend that school.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 06:10 am
@Linkat,
The kid's life was saved, would you rather send your kids to a school where he would have died?
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 09:33 am
@izzythepush,
- I was commenting on your highlighted item that the individual was not hired after saving the child's life -- your own notation. Shows a lack of judgement on the school.

Of course this half in jest -- but I do know you lack a sense of humor.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 09:38 am
@Linkat,
You try doing stand up and see how that goes down pet.

If you read the article, the interviewee was just one of a number of staff involved in giving CPR. What really made the difference was that the school had just purchased a defibrillator. The paper is now running a campaign to make sure all schools get one.

Serious note, does your child's school have a defibrillator? If not you might want to start a campaign of your own.
0 Replies