Is there a SINGLE Kid in America Who Would Prefer FAT BARBIE?

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 01:26 am
http://tribwgntv.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/barbie-dolls.jpg?w=900

I am thinking Ten......tops. I also expect that thousands of mom will give their kids no choice in the matter.

Miller

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 05:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Is there some thing wrong with owning a "fat-barbie"? Of course not, since millions of Americans are over weight ( i.e. fat ). What's the big deal about giving a child a "fat-barbie?

More important than fat-barbies is child abuse, gun control, jobless teens and adults...etc.

Barbie is fat...big deal!
engineer

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 07:01 am
@hawkeye10,
But the new doll isn't fat, just normal. I expect that if you were used to the new doll, people would be screaming "Who wants an anorexic Barbie?" Concerning what children want, my experience is that they are completely happy with whatever they get. Regarding parents giving children choice or not in the matter, that is what parents do - parenting. All that said, I don't think Barbie is under any threat. Dolls like these come out all the time and get more press than sales. The test is in the marketplace and Barbie has been winning there for a long time with the complete cooperation of parents.
Germlat

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 07:40 am
@Miller,
But Anorexia and Bulimia are very given in industrialized countries. Positive self-image and healthy bodies cast aside for an idealized body type. In real life there are many body types and shapes. I think the new Barbie is not fat.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 09:34 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

But the new doll isn't fat, just normal.

Exactly, if Barbie were a real person she would be unable to have periods. It's the same as airbrushing photos, it creates an image that's impossible to attain, increases misery, self loathing and eating disorders.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 11:52 am
@engineer,
Quote:
The iconic doll is in a prolonged sales slide, and nothing toymaker Mattel (MAT) does seems to be working.

For the all-important holiday quarter last year, Barbie sales fell by a jaw-dropping 13 percent. Sales were down about six percent for all of 2013.

Barbie sales have been in decline for some time, but the recent losses are particularly steep. Only a year earlier, Barbie sales were only down four percent worldwide for the fourth quarter and three percent for the year.

One of the most famous toys in American history is clearly losing her appeal. And that's especially painful for Mattel, because the 54-year-old Barbie brand brings in enormous profits. Barbie has very high gross margins, no royalty payouts, and efficient advertising expenditures, one Needham & Co analyst told Reuters last year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/as-sales-plunge-can-barbie-stay-relevant/

Not sure what has gone wrong with Barbie in this culture, though I do regularly hear about parents outlawing her, usually out of fear of promoting eating disorders.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 11:54 am
@hawkeye10,
You've added to it though. You described the new Barbie as fat. If you met a woman who looked like that, would you describe her as fat? I certainly wouldn't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 01:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Not sure what has gone wrong with Barbie in this culture

tastes in toys, as in all other things, come and go

Barbie was very popular in my generation, then she sort of disappeared, then she came back, then she faded, then she came back, then she disappeared, now she's sort of on the landscape

remember cabbage patch dolls?
beanie babies?
American Girl dolls?

even Monopoly is changing

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 02:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye,

Why don't you think that kids will prefer "Fat Barbie"? Do you have some kind special insight into the mind of girls?

How many girls did you talk to about this topic before you started this post?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 04:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're actually providing a great ad for Lammily

https://www.lammily.com/average-is-beautiful

https://s3.amazonaws.com/crowdhoster/youinadollsworld/uploads/ckeditor/pictures/data/000/000/004/content.jpg

she's already at something like 400% of funding

it's a good thing

Very Happy
0 Replies