Just read a sentence from The Invisible Man,but can't understand it.

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 03:50 am
Mrs. Hall agreed with him,and then noticed he had his bag, and hit upon a brilliant idea."Now you're here,Mr. Teddy,"said she, "I 'd be glad if you'd give th'old clock in the parlour a bit of look. 'T is going, and it strikes well and hearty;but the hour-hand won't do nuthin' but point at six."

I have got its mainly idea that the clock went wrong,but what the exact meaning of the last sentence.

helen0111

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 04:35 am
@helen0111,
why there's nobody help me Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 04:42 am
It means that the clockwork inside the clock functions properly, and the chimes that announce the hours (and possibly the quarter hours) go off properly, but that the hour hand does not move.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMg==/z/0xEAAOxyaRZR5EVc/$(KGrHqFHJ!0FHTLzZ5sNBR5EVbr0ow~~60_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

In this image, you can see a long "hand" (an indicator) which is the minute hand, and which is pointing at the two--indicating that it is ten minutes past the hour. Note the five division between each number, which indicate the minutes. The short "hand" is the hour hand, and in this image it is pointing toward the ten. That means that it is ten minutes past ten.

So the lady is saying that it strikes well and hearty--meaning that the chimes which indicate the hour (and possibly the quarter hours) strike, that is to say, sound at the proper time, and sound loudly. However, the hour hand does not move.

helen0111

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 05:28 am
@Setanta,
Thanks a lot:)
0 Replies

Unknown User

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 02:39 pm
Who knows about invisibility? Mrs. Hall, Teddy, Bandaged man ???
Unknown User

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 02:45 pm
I have a question, who knows about invisibility? Mrs. Hall, Teddy Henfrey, Bandaged man???
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 03:30 pm
@Unknown User,
Jim Trueblood knows.
0 Replies