Mother's maiden name

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:41 pm
Just about every financial institution I've ever dealt with has asked for my mother's maiden name to use as a security question.

With so many women now keeping their maiden names, and with so many using them on Facebook, et. al., is having your mother's maiden name still a good security question?

roger

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:43 pm
@boomerang,
It never was, in my opinion.
boomerang

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:47 pm
@roger,
I always thought it was pretty good. I don't think anyone outside of family knows my mother's maiden name. Mr. B would probably have to think about it for a minute.

I don't know the maiden names of most of my friends but I bet if I was a Facebooker I would know some of them.

Lordyaswas

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:10 pm
@boomerang,
I use the Latin name of the first onion I ever bought.
parados

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:12 pm
@boomerang,
I'm finding most institutions on their websites allow you to choose a different question.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:14 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I use variety when on the internet. Sometimes I use the name roger and that tells me the password is Nermal. On other forums, I use the name Nermal and roger becomes the password. It really confuses the hackers.
edgarblythe

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:24 pm
Speaking of hackers, bear (Steve Q) and Bill Ward had their facebook accounts hacked and their friends are getting a malicious zip file.
parados

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's often just trolling facebook for friends of a person and then sending an email pretending to be that person.
0 Replies

parados

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:45 pm
@roger,
That just doesn't seem nermal, roger.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:19 pm
@boomerang,
Just because they ask a security question doesn't mean you have to answer with the actual and correct detail. So, yes, it is still a good question.

A long time ago, I made up a fake ID profile for answering internet security questions and always use it for internet transactions. Nobody can hack my accounts with info they've gleaned from my internet activity. They have to stumble upon the randomly created nonsensical answers I made up.
PUNKEY

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:24 pm
I get a kick out of the movie scene where the hackers are trying to guess the bad guy's password and it's the dog's name. It's ALWAYS the dog's name. Smile
InfraBlue

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:27 pm
If one uses their mother's maiden name as a part of one's name, then that security question would not be a good one.

If one doesn't use their mother's maiden name as a part of one's name, then that security question would be good.

For many Hispanics/Latinos one's mother's maiden name is a part of one's name, one's gender notwithstanding.

So for them, it wouldn't be a good idea.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Just because they ask a security question doesn't mean you have to answer with the actual and correct detail. So, yes, it is still a good question.

A long time ago, I made up a fake ID profile for answering internet security questions and always use it for internet transactions. Nobody can hack my accounts with info they've gleaned from my internet activity. They have to stumble upon the randomly created nonsensical answers I made up.

The problem here is that some people might forget the bogus name that they've provided to the question, just like they might with a password that they've created off the top of their head.
Ragman

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:41 pm
@PUNKEY,
That's why I change dogs every month.
ossobuco

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 08:31 pm
@Ragman,
Ok, you made me guffaw.
0 Replies

loyaltreemarketing

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 03:18 am
@boomerang,
I agree with you whole heartedly. Its not at all a secret question any more.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 03:29 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Just about every financial institution I've ever dealt with has asked for my mother's maiden name to use as a security question.

With so many women now keeping their maiden names, and with so many using them on Facebook, et. al.,

is having your mother's maiden name still a good security question?
Yes; how woud a criminal KNOW what your mother's name is??
izzythepush

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 03:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think the point is that this question is so ubiquitous, that if a criminal were able to hack one website where that question had been asked, it could then be used for a whole raft of identity fraud.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 07:15 am
@Butrflynet,
Especially when you use some $&@!;(-%^*€£+¥~#% instead of letters.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 07:52 am
My mother's maiden name was )*52@th9WeP so I feel fairly safe.

1. Forums
  2. » Mother's maiden name
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:01:57