High School athletes recruited for underground wrestling

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:57 pm
I’ve never heard of this – but in talking with some other people, they did not seem surprised. We were recently notified from the local high school that a person via facebook is inviting athletes to wrestle for money at local hotels.

I did an internet search with underground wrestling – didn’t find anything. I then used the name being used in facebook and only found one occurance that applied. It was a forum for local state wrestling – it gave the same details as the local high school – one response actually had received an invitation – “would you be interested in wrestling in underground club matches for money? All styles you get paid to tryout win or lose more if you win..”

Anyone ever hear of this? Another person posted this has been going on for years and actually knew some boys who participated and got paid a couple of hundred dollars an event – it occurred in a hotel conference room where spectators watch and bet on them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
Weird!

I've never heard of this but I can see it happening.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 08:43 am
It made the news -- well at least locally ---

The organization that oversees high schools sports in Massachusetts warned athletes today about a man trying to recruit athletes to wrestle in hotels around the state.

A person who goes by the name “Manny Whelan” on Facebook is offering male athletes money to lure them to compete in an “underground wrestling club” in local hotels, said Nathan Bonneau, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association. The group said the boys should beware because the man does not appear to represent an actual sports team or organization and could be trying to prey on the athletes.

The individual has been reaching out to the boys via Facebook message for at least two years, the warning said. He may also be trying to lure other athletes, not just wrestlers, officials said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/03/05/state-high-school-sports-group-issues-warning-internet-offer-for-underground-wrestling-club/bD77H397iDMkQeEW2DU1NL/story.html
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:10 am
I'll bet I know their First Rule.
0 Replies