Young Adult, Need Advice, My Conservative Family Brainwashed!

Aphex87

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:39 am
Hello, I am 26 years old and live in Midwest City, Oklahoma. Living in this part of the country means putting up with never-ending radical fundamentalist conservative BS and as the only person in my family who would call himself a liberal before a conservative I am constantly being slammed with propaganda and it's nearly impossible to cut through the crap and find out the truth about issues, specifically "Obamacare."

I have been un-insured for years and it is a pain in the ass to say the least. I'm lucky enough to have some Chickasaw Indian blood in me, therefore I am grateful to have the luxury of free doctor visits and prescriptions (for the most part). Unfortunately I have to see a psychiatrist outside of the Chickasaw clinic to get the controlled substances I need for agoraphobia, severe panic disorder, and ADHD to top it off. Without insurance it costs me $150 just to be seen for what has never been longer than a 2 minute session. Then paying for the prescriptions I cant get from the Chickasaw Nation costs me over $300. So that's $450 monthly and I am unemployed with a number of health issues ranging from low testosterone and thyroid problems that basically cripple me from lack of energy to psychological problems including severe depression and more, some brought on from years of being a drug addict in my teens.

I guess I got off track, what I basically want to know is whether or not I, as an unemployed 26 year old who is forced to live with his grandparents, have to sign up for insurance of some kind before this deadline approaches?

I am utterly confused by this whole healthcare act. I supported it from the beginning because it sounded reasonable and made sense at the time, but the actual implementation leaves something to be desired. My mother and grandparents are completely convinced that Obama will be the cause of their eventual demise. They constantly throw propaganda my way, and I don't know enough about the issue to debate it.

Basically I could just use some advice on what to do, and maybe even some help cutting through the BS and finding some accurate information to counter the crap my family spews my way (unless of course they are right and Obamacare is a complete disaster that takes away all choice when it comes to your health).

Thank you in advance.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:49 am
@Aphex87,
There are two separate issues here.

1) What is best for you, as an individual, to get the health care that you need at a price that you can afford.

2) The political battle over Obamacare that pits liberals vs conservatives in a sometimes nasty fight.

You should keep these two things separate. Your well-being is important. The political fight is not important. So ignore the politics.

My advice is for you to go sign up for Obamacare... and see if it is a good deal for you. It doesn't hurt you to see what they will offer (since you need insurance anyway). Then do what is best for you.

Leave the nasty argument about whether Obamacare will save the country or ruin the country to other people. It is just a bunch of people yelling at each other. There isn't much you can do about that anyway.

You need healthcare, why not take what they are offering? If the deal benefits you personally, you should do it.

0 Replies