Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 03:54 pm

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Where's the Buzzfeed online quiz? I'm so confused! Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:09 pm
I am finally in the inner circle. My very first NSFW thread.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:20 pm
Gee, and I thought this was going to be about how to differentiate among the feature of korean, japanese, india etc.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:20 pm
@chai2,
It is.
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I meant facial features.

That young man's poem did nothing to enlighten me in either their various appearances or traditions.

If I stood on a stage and said a poem about how I needed to be recognized by the type of white person I am, as far as my heritage, I'd be called a bigot.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:28 pm
@chai2,
He points out the motivation of many asking about it.
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Could you explain what the motivation he's talking about it?

Seriously, I don't know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:38 pm
He is talking about those who want to buttonhole an Asian by pinpointing whether he is Chinese, Japanese or whatever, for racist purposes, more than anything else. I have only watched it one time. I plan to see it again tomorrow.
Lash

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:41 pm
I don't get it. Asians are the most respected ethnic group in the US. I understand we all have a tendency to categorize people, but sometimes a person (me) can be interested in getting to know a new acquaintance better.

This sorta smacked of whiny to me. Yeah, cry me a river about me assuming - at least momentarily - that you are super good at math and have a great work ethic....
Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:48 pm
I thought this would be a JGoldman thread . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are they trying to buttonhole him, or are they simply curious, wanting to know what is their nation of origin so they don't insult him by assuming he's, let's say, of japanese heritage when he's vietnamese?

Asian is a generic term, I think it's polite to show interest in a person's specific group.

If someone asked me "where I'm from", I wouldn't just say "Europe". That would say nothing about who my people are.

IMO, he may be oversensitive, projecting insult where there is none.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 05:28 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't get it. Asians are the most respected ethnic group in the US. I understand we all have a tendency to categorize people, but sometimes a person (me) can be interested in getting to know a new acquaintance better.

This sorta smacked of whiny to me. Yeah, cry me a river about me assuming - at least momentarily - that you are super good at math and have a great work ethic....

heh, was typing while you posted this lash. I agree with you.

When I think asian, I think super hard working, quick learner, smart. If that's categorizing, well, it's a good category.

zipperheads? gooks? Is this guy living back in WWII or Vietnam War days?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think it's difficult for those of European descent to understand the nuances of Asian-American life. When my son was about 7, I chaperoned a class trip (don't remember where) and I was responsible for four children, my son and three others. Children that young like to tell you everything, and one little girl sitting with me told me that someone had painted gooks and slopes on her family's drive way. She knew it wasn't good, was a little confused and I was thunderstruck. All I could think to say was "oh, that's awful, it had to be a terrible person who would do that", she nodded in agreement. Both her parents were surgeons, and I know longer remember if they were from Thailand or wherever. It was very shocking as a mother in the early 80's to imagine anybody being such a dick they would bring these words into a little girls home.

My daughter in law is part Japanese, also part Italian, she appears more Latina to some people. She teaches elementary school and has learned Spanish because so many of the children automatically assume she's from Latin or South America. She teaches in a Title 1 school, and many of the children don't learn English until they reach school.

I don't think the poet is whiney, I think he is frustrated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 06:54 pm
As a thoughtful reading of this material - http://www.asian-nation.org/racism.shtml - helps illustrate, the prejudice is real.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 07:49 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I believe you are incorrect. Assuming that WASP's are not an ethnic group, then the "most respected" ethnic group is German-Americans. And, that is due to their collectively deciding to end their efforts, after WWI, to make regions of the U.S. bilingual (German and English), and just assimilate. In 1910, in NYC, elementary school readers, in large swaths of the city, had one page in English and the corresponding page in German . Germans are also the only white ethnic group that did not have the full experience of tenement living upon arrival. Many came here middle class, after the Revolution of 1848, and two weeks after arrival, were living in tree lined streets in Brooklyn or Queens.

In my opinion, Asians are quite respected by those that have education beyond a Bachelor's degree; however, amongst the teeming masses, there is still a below the surface subtle alienation. On the west coast two out of three Asian females marry Caucasian males, so with time they will be assimilated into the Caucasian gene pool. On the east coast, dating Asian girls is most prominent in the better colleges. Less amongst the teeming masses. That will likely change, as time in the country increases, in my opinion.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 08:40 pm
@Foofie,
Well, I'm not sure where foofie is going with this, so I don't know what to say. It's a little disturbing, but I haven't put my finger on exactly what creeps me out.
Lash

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:07 pm
@Foofie,
Germans are still taking it on the chin with a few dated stereotypes.
Lash

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:09 pm
@chai2,
I've never heard anyone use those terms except "gook" in war era movies.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:08 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I've never heard anyone use those terms except "gook" in war era movies.

You need to live amongst more racist people.

My Grandmother was an excellent racist from Appalachia. If you weren't a nice WASP, then you were any number of racist terms.

Should have seen her gyrations when I had a black friend over once when I was in high school (My granparents were living with my parents at that time). I have great experience with first hand racism and that is one of the reasons I despise it so.