Legalized marijuana

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:50 am
Wow, even conservative states are considering decriminalization of marijuana either for medical purposes or for outright recreational use. The issue is no longer partisan and cuts across political lines.

Additionally, the federal government has changed its stance and is now allowing banks to deal with marijuana businesses in those states that have legalized its recreational use.

I wouldn't have expected such a rapid change in official opinions and policies just ten years ago, let alone a change generated within a state's rights angle, and now it seems that marijuana will be legalized and or decriminalized throughout the country within ten years.

raprap

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:49 pm
A problem will remain--even when legal the government won't expunge the records of anyone who was busted for 'grass' before legalization.

This problem will exist until all these 'pot' felons are dead and buried.

Rap
McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 07:02 pm
I think this is a topic I can get behind.

I am all for it. Legalize and tax it. 'shrooms too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 07:22 pm
@InfraBlue,
The tobacco companies and cancer organizations must be having fits seeing all those clouds of weed smoke in public places where tobacco smoke is not allowed.

Smoke is smoke and will still damage your lungs whether legal or illegal.
Germlat

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah...but some smoke can induce psychosis.
raprap

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 07:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Not a problem edibles and vapos are alternatives.

Rap
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
And those around them.

Will the US gov start a big anti-smoking campaign against marijuana smoke like it does against smoking at the tax payers expense while collecting taxes at the same time making this another big business?
Oooh, more sin tax money...the gov just loves it.
Germlat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm
@Enaj,
I understand what you're saying about the government making a profit...but, many more lives would be spared . Think about the implications for nations such as Honduras, Mexico, and Colombia ( the U.S. As well) drug cartels and wars drug wars ravage not only lives but countries as well. Also certain drugs have been proven to induce psychosis when consumed long-term. The lesser of two evils seems best to me. I also disagree with the severe criminalization of drug addicts.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The tobacco companies and cancer organizations must be having fits seeing all those clouds of weed smoke in public places where tobacco smoke is not allowed.

Smoke is smoke and will still damage your lungs whether legal or illegal.

Simple. You don't make it legal to smoke pot in public spaces.

But isn't the cancer causing parts of tobacco smoke the crap the tobacco companies put in? If in theory, marijuana is legalized, it can be highly regulated to avoid having any carcinogens in the mix? OR am I wrong in that area? Either way, I have no interest in smoking pot, legal wise or not.
Germlat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes..it is my understanding a rough 400 chemicals are added to tobacco in the U.S.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
There are way more than enough naturally occurring carcinogens in tobacco smoke. I wouldn't be surprised to find almost as many if you dried, rolled, and smoked spinach leaves. Tobacco companies certainly benefit from any addictive properties; they gain nothing from killing off their companies.
Germlat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:04 pm
@roger,
But Tobacco companies do gain from creating addictions earlier in life...much more difficult for someone to pick up the habit before 25 years of age. And yes carbon monoxide is a carcinogen all on its own. But certainly, additives potentiate effect.
roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:38 pm
@Germlat,
I did not know that about carbon monoxide. I'm not sure I believe it.
Enaj

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:52 pm
@Germlat,
I also disagree with the severe criminalization of drug addicts, they need the hospital more. I do agree with a severe penalty for dealers though as they are the ones that make our young people addicted.
As for what is in smoke....anything other than good old healthy air is not good for the lungs.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Since it hasn't been highly regulated in cigarettes, why would we think that it would be for marijuana joints?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 04:59 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

A problem will remain--even when legal the government won't expunge the records of anyone who was busted for 'grass' before legalization.

This problem will exist until all these 'pot' felons are dead and buried.

Rap

Do you know how this problem was handled after Prohibition was repealed?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 05:04 pm
A Texas official the other day: "Not gonna happen."
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 05:19 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Yeah...but some smoke can induce psychosis.

It may also suppress psychosis.
Germlat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 06:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
Apparently, people with a predisposition are at risk. Maybe it should be a consideration if prescribed as an anxyolitic( or any other reason).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:13 pm
@Enaj,
Enaj wrote:

Since it hasn't been highly regulated in cigarettes, why would we think that it would be for marijuana joints?

Simple. Don't let it be legal to add those carcinogenic additives to the drug. Another way to prevent the additives is to not give corporations the right to grow, manufacture, and market the drug. Leave all that to the FDA and a separate (new) department of the government. Let the government take in all of the revenue.
0 Replies