Grammatical term for words such as bittersweet and tragicomedy.

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:56 am
Can anyone give me guidance as to how to crack question 16 in Great Fun Quiz 96? The answer appears to be a synonym of "oxymoron" but detailed research has failed to come up with a solution, especially bearing in mind that the required word begins and ends with the same three letters in the same order.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 04:28 am
@earlbertie,
Bertie old bean, the last time I saw you was in court, pip pip, what ho, and all that beastly carrion.

The only answer I can conjure is oxymoronic paradoxy or oxymoraparadoxy but I did toy with logolog for quite some time.
earlbertie

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 08:54 am
@Miss L Toad,
Oh I say, you are a brick. Doubtless the old grey matter has been working overtime as has mine (well, what's left of it).

Here at home I have checked two dictionaries of literary terms as well as Roget's thesaurus and the Oxford thesaurus. Plus Fowler's Modern English Usage and all the relevant sites I can find on line. Result: zilch.

I've also tried searching for words beginning and ending with the same three letters in the same order. Although there are quite a lot listed, none meets Bill's definition and none relates to grammatical expression.

And yet, it seems that several GFQ competitors have had no trouble finding the answer. I had considered submitting "oxymoronoxy" as my answer but the word simply doesn't exist. I really am puzzled by this one.
BALLYBOY

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 05:28 am
@earlbertie,
did you look up "dvandva"????
Opsimath

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 11:56 am
@BALLYBOY,
That's one I've got right.However what did you put for No. 50 Ballyboy?
0 Replies

gumpy01

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 08:17 am
@earlbertie,
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/bittersweet - look at the 8th entry. Found by googling 'bittersweet' 'compound word'
0 Replies