Can you ever recover from being cheated on ?

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:00 am
my partner of almost 2years has been txtin another woman.
Things were great between us until Xmas and then things/behaviour changed,he became less affectionate the intamcy dwindled and it seemed he could barely bring himself to talk to me, I had a gut feeling something was going on and thought it was his ex wife, I looked through some of his social network messages and found several flirty messages to other women but they seemed uninterested, whilst this made me angry and feeling sick nothing had happened as of yet and didn't want to give away that I was snooping which I felt guilty for.
I managed one Sunday to get hold of his phone and what I saw brought me to my knees some very explicit messages of what he wanted to do to this woman and how they had tried to meet up but as far as I could make out it hadn't actually happened. I confronted him and asked him the usual questions and he promised me nothing had actually happened but the messages I feel are just as bad because if someone is happy with the person they are with why would the do that, his excuse was attention seeking and that he would never have actually done anything but I find that hard to believe I think it didn't because I found out first, we decided that we would try make it work but I'm struggling when I go to bed all I see is the messages, when he goes out I'm finding it hard to trust him, I'm still going through his messages and I think he knows this as all messages are deleted I do love him but I don't want to be a doormat I always said if someone cheated I'd be gone but once your in that situation it's not always that easy.
I trusted my gut instincts and I was right to only trouble is now they are back but I've got no evidence to back it up I have asked him but he has denied it as he did before but he lied then what's to say he's not doing the same but has become better at covering his tracks.....any advice welcome
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,038 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:10 am
@Small but sweet,
Love and neglect and/or abuse make for a bad partnership. Your mutual trust has been broken.

I will say, IMHO, snooping is bad but cheating and that behavior you describe is far worse. Not to be too blunt or callous about this, it sounds like irreconcilable differences. If it were me, I'd move on and start the healing. Build your self-esteem back up.

In future relationships (ideally), don't snoop. Hopefully, you won't ever need to or want to again.
Small but sweet

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:23 am
@Ragman,
I never thought I would snoop in this relationship I never have before but I knew something wasn't right but whilst I'd confronted him I thought he would have the decency to be honest to my he didn't hence the need to snoop, I do thank you for your advice
Ragman

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:44 am
@Small but sweet,
Listen. I understand this. Temporarily, while it's not OK to snoop but you knew he was lying and covering up as he was giving away far too many signs.

now you just need to realize how much this shakes up your own self-esteem. Get into what I call protect-mode and get this cancer out of your life as efficiently ... surgically as you can. The trust is broken and is not going to get better or even manageable. IMHO, this is the point where often times more destructive negative stuff happens to YOU. Stop allowing yourself to be victimized.
0 Replies

miagreen

Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:14 pm
@Small but sweet,
I've been in your same scenario or similar for about 9 months now. I'm too trying to figure it all out. What I have learned is when our guts tell us something 90% of the time is true and if you search you will find and then what? In my case I've been married for 19 years and I have an 11 yr old boy and a 16 yr old girl so my decision to walk away is not so easy as many make it sound to be.
I find that I can't speak to anyone about it but wish I could. I wish I had someone to give me sound, unbias advise but I don't have that and who can you trust these days.
Hang in there. I'll pray for both of us.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:02 am
He's a liar and a cheater and he neglects you.

What other message do you need in order to make your decision ?

I think if you REALLY think about this relationship, there have been warning signs from the get-go. (He has an ex-wife. Were you involved in that break-up?)
0 Replies