Can customer service be too nice?

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:11 pm
I recently had two customer service experiences where it was over the top. One was a good over the top (but almost scary) and the other was so much over the top it was insincere.

First one was take away restaurant service - I called the girl (as she appeared to be a teen) was so overally happy and perky and sweet -- it scared me. When I went to pick up the order she was the same overly sweet happy girl - I gave the highest tip ever for this sort of service. It was scary that she was so happy and perky.

Next -- store credit card problem. The bill was due on a weekend. I paid prior, but as it was received and processed on the Monday, I got zinged with a late fee/interest, etc. Basically it was more than the product I bought.

I called and the customer service told me what a nice name I had; then proceeded to tell me over and over that I was one of their best customers - doubtful as I rarely use the damn card. When she suggested that she only take half off the late fee and if I was ok with it - I told that is fine I'll pay it, but I will also cancel my card. She then asked if she took the whole amount off if I would be ok with it as she contined to tell me what a great customer I was -- when I said ok -- then we resolved it and I would not cancel my card she then said we don't want to lose one of their best customers.

Now is that over the top -- too much customer service in a sense? I got what I wanted in the end, but it was weird and odd.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,796 • Replies: 3
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:17 pm
It's probably mandatory store policy that they tell everybody who calls with a problem that they're one of their best customers and they don't want to lose them.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Like 20 times. I should have counted how many times she said it. I understand saying it once maybe twice, but she said it so many times it was a joke. I almost wanted to say to her -- come on I use this card maybe a few times a year and hardly charge anything, your customer base must be very lacking.

But I wanted the credit.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:25 pm
@Linkat,
Wow, the first one I don't see a problem. The girl was happy, maybe she likes her job.

The second one can be gray area. Exceptions are made for repeat customers, it happens all the time.

0 Replies