Is this a good plot?

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:44 am
Happy valentine's Day! Hi everyone! In my story my character has been arrested for beating someone up (I know, not his best moment). His wealthy father is the only one who can bail him out but his father, who he has distanced himself from, will do it for a price.
You see Jace, my character, has to work as a hit man for his father to pay him back but Jace has a lot on the line. He could lose his girlfriend, his friends and the life he built up since he left his father's oppressive house.
My family has told me that it sounds ambitious but totally improbable. They say that if his dad is so rich why would he hire his son? But his father wants to keep it in the family. He wants to keep Jace under his thumb.
If my idea is improbable, can I get some suggestions on how to make it more believable? I don't want to write the story and then have people laugh or call BS. Any helpful suggestions will be highly appreciated. Smile

dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm
@Alexandria1994,
As an unsuccessful writer myself Al, it sounds fine, while I congratulate you most sincerely for your ambition and determination

My immediate reaction: Don't listen to relatives

Without revealing anything critical to your ID, wonder if you'd tell us something about yourself
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:10 pm
@Alexandria1994,
Quote:
If my idea is improbable, can I get some suggestions on how to make it more believable? I don't want to write the story and then have people laugh or call BS. Any helpful suggestions will be highly appreciated

Your idea is fine (albeit something that doesn't particularly appeal to me on the basis of a general storyline) but it's how you move the story forward whether its audience would find it believable (how you draw your characters). Are they going to be complicated? Too complicated? Black and white characters? On the side of parody? Is it a comedy or a really bleak drama? Like I said, it's not the plot but how you depict the plot in the story.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:39 pm
@Alexandria1994,
Al listen to Tsar above, he has a handle on this kind of thing
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:47 pm
@Alexandria1994,
Yes, never give up!
I see some parallels with mafia type families who want to keep 'the family business' in the family. Michael Corleone left "the business" and made millions off respectable businesses and other investments, but... well, you know the story, I'm sure. You can have the father actually refer to that story to create his own business model. It's a ruthless world; blood is thicker than water; independence versus inheritance; good versus evil; love or legacy; ; honesty and agendas; etc. There is a lot of angles you can work with having a story line you've already created.
I can only suggest that you be careful not to subconsciously mimic a known story, while still using familiar parallels to which the reader can relate. Give the family a quazi-unique 'style' - all members have a certain proclivity; stay consistent with reality as possible, e.g. rich people are notably smarter - not being out-foxed by an ordinary Joe, no, he has to have an extraordinary ..something; don't overuse 'suspension of belief' but use comic relief.
Oh, and don't forget that novels are predominantly read by women.
Good luck, and keep us updated.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:00 pm
@Alexandria1994,
From one writer to another - plots are fine. Everyone has plots in their head. Everyone has ideas. It's what you do with them that matter. Consider the fact that some very famous works really don't have much in the way of plot or action at all.

Here's one.

Quote:
Spoiled rich girl fixes up everybody she knows who is single, with everybody else she knows who is single. Goes to a bunch of fancy parties and has a lot of conversations. Most of her matchmaking schemes fail. Finally realizes she's in love with one of the men in her inner circle. Lives happily ever after, even though they have to support her father, who's a hypochondriac and is probably going senile.

Don't know it? That's Emma by Jane Austen, a classic novel considered by a lot of people to be in the top 100 if not the top 50 of all-time best novels. No lie.

Read, to be inspired, and to see what other people have done. Write, to practice, and get better. I guarantee your first work will suck. Everybody's does.

The plot is only one piece of the story. It's important, to be sure, but if your characters are Mary Sues (Google the term) or the situations are unbelievable, or you don't do basic research, then it's going to sink your work like a rock.

Oh and one last thing - don't focus-group your plots, asking if they're "any good". Assume that they are and start writing.
0 Replies

Alexandria1994

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi, thank you for answering. A little about me: I'm 19 years old and I've been writing most of my life. I love to write fiction but read non fiction. I'm quite bubbly and I have a sense of humor. Smile
Alexandria1994

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you. You have a point.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:25 am
@Alexandria1994,
Thanks Al. Yes, no, pay no attention to your detractors
0 Replies