Anyone Have Any Experience With Netflix?

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2002 03:54 pm
We have large collections of records, CDs, VHS tapes, and now DVDs. Our house is inundated by my

husband's collections. Last month I put my foot down. No more buying DVDs.

Where we live in Florida, many of the fine

films that hit the art theatres in N.Y. or L.A. never get to our local theatres. We would like to get to see them, but there

are no large DVD rental stores nearby, like Blockbuster. Even the one that is 20 minutes away, does not carry some of the

indie or foreign films that we would like to see.

I heard about Netflix, where for $20 a month, you get as many DVDs

as you want, but no more than three out at a time. You get a shipping envelope, and free shipping.

Have any of you

used Netflix? Does the reality of the service match the advertisements?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,570 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2002 07:13 pm
I've used it for

about six months for exactly that reason -- to see films I didn't want to particularly buy and were difficult to find on the

cable channels or find at a rental store. It worked out well if you watched the three movies the following three days you

receive them and immediately mail them back the next day. Worked out to be about $1.50 per rental.
If you don't watch

as many films, it can cost more like $5.00 plus and probably the average is somewhere in between. If you don't live near

one of their shipping stations, it takes longer for the disks to get to you and longer to get back. If it's been more than

three days before they get them back and ship the next disk(s), you can go online and get customer service to ship them

anyway. Their catalog is really complete -- for instance the Bollywood films that Gautam recommended were all available.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
Anyone else try Netflix?

I'm trying to wake up this thread to get more comments about Netflix.

Seems to me that a lot of older movies aren't yet available on DVD, and so are not available through Netflix.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:12 pm
I've been using it off and on for a couple of years.

Check out their website, bromeliad. See if they have the sorts of titles you're interested in.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
my son has a friend that - he and the neighbor both belong and they set-up a system for sharing the movies between them - they think they are getting a heck of a deal by doing it that way.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
My son uses it all the time. He thinks it's great.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
Just signed on after lots of invitations from family.

I think it's pretty good so far (just watched my first three).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
I've resubscribed and their library has grown considerably. The service is much better with a shipping station right near me. Their music video library is also great.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
I can recommend Netflix without reservations
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
Yeah, we used it for a while, before we cancelled. It wasn't bad.
0 Replies