Funnyman Sid Caesar dead at 91

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:44 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/showbiz/sid-caesar-dead/

CNN wrote:
(CNN) -- Sid Caesar, whose clever, anarchic comedy on such programs as "Your Show of Shows" and "Caesar's Hour" helped define the 1950s "Golden Age of Television," has died. He was 91.
A friend of the family, actor Rudy De Luca, does not know the exact cause of death, but says Caesar had respiratory problems and other health problems for several years.
Caesar became famous for "Your Show of Shows," which went on the air in 1950. It lasted four years and was followed by "Caesar's Hour," which combined sketches, musical revues and situation comedy.
Both shows featured writers who became famous in their own right, including Neil Simon, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Mel Tolkin, Lucille Kallen and Larry Gelbart. Woody Allen also contributed to Caesar's comedy as a writer for one of his specials.
Brooks visited Caesar last night to say goodbye, De Luca told CNN.

More at link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,019 • Replies: 8

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

Truly, one of the titans of comedy.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 10:09 pm
Rest in Peace, Sid.

Imogene Coca and Sid Caesar on Classical Musicians

Bravo!!!!!

I can't see if it shows here, but I could see it on the New Yorker site. Hope this works.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:00 am
@ossobuco,
I remember him from clips and his infrequent sketches on variety shows in the 60's. I liked his routines with Carl reiner and that little guy when they would do these fony accents. I remember , as a little kid, my folks were watching "Show of Shows" and I was seeing Sid Caeser engage in a sketch wherein everyone got knifed at the end of the sketch. I didn't sleep at all and I was probably 8 or 9 and still remember the punch line where Caser was arguing with the little guy and Reiner and he stabbed them as a way to make his point. Then at the end. he accidentally stabbed himself. I recall some really dark and semi violent sketches
I imgine that the network censors weren't in that day
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I was so young when his shows were on, but I remember my parents laughing so hard at the routines. Sid, Jackie Gleason, Milton Berle what a wealth of funny.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 04:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Sorry to see him go, he had a wonderful sense of humor and excellent timing. May he have eternal peace...or whatever else it was he was hoping for.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:18 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

Truly, one of the titans of comedy.

I rate Gleason as the best in those days with Ceasar, second, The funnest of all time is Dean Martin and his Celeb Roast. I still have 8 VCRs of it. Make me an offer.
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:02 am
@Rickoshay75,
Gleason was moderately talented but Sid Caeser was a comic genius.

glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:43 pm
@farmerman,
I liked all of them. Caesar made me laugh, and Art Carney was the perfect foil for Gleason. I liked Gleason except when he played characters like the Poor Soul and pretended to be pitiable. I never saw poor as funny.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Funnyman Sid Caesar dead at 91
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 01:37:48