Punctuation, Quotes

lesswhitmore

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm not mad at anyone. I would like to be clear on that. I would even be so bold as to immediately agree that most if not all of the posters on the site have more knowledge of literature, punctuation and grammar than I do.

I have read a lot of books, magazines, ezines, blogs, articles than I could ever hope to retain or reference but I have not been to university nor have I ever worked for a publisher or paper of any kind.

I'm sure that there are an infinite number of existing flaws in the text that I am working on beyond the use of my quotations. For example I have trouble with tense. If my words end in "ed" on one line can I still use "ing" on another? I hope so.

When I get a little more cash flush I will probably pay a linguistics major to edit my work for me.

Whenever I post to a forum I always prepare myself for different attitudes and sometimes the false assumption of attitude that email, blogging and text messaging can easily convey.

I'm not mad at anyone though.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:12 pm
@lesswhitmore,
I would even be so bold as to immediately agree that most if not all of the posters on the site have more knowledge of literature, punctuation and grammar than I do.
-------------------

If you knew Contrex like we know Contrex, oh oh oh what a dud!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 05:24 pm
@lesswhitmore,
Quote:
I'm not mad at anyone. I would like to be clear on that.
Yes, no, I'd agree you're probably not one of 'em

Quote:
….. most if not all of the posters on the site have more knowledge of literature, punctuation and grammar than I do.
Interesting, I feel much the same way More or Less, in spite of a BSJ and lifetime as a writer of one kind or another. The typical esl is very impressive in his curiosity and determination

Quote:
I have read a lot…..but I have not been to university nor have I ever worked for a publisher or paper of any kind.
Not necessarily requirements for success in any field. I myself look back with tons of regret

Quote:
I'm sure that there are an infinite number of existing flaws in the text that I am working on beyond the use of my quotations.
Might not quite be infinite

Quote:
For example I have trouble with tense. If my words end in "ed" on one line can I still use "ing" on another? I hope so.
You'd have to supply examples

Quote:
When I get a little more cash flush I will probably pay a linguistics major to edit my work for me.
Without revealing anything even a Whit critical to your identity I wonder if you might tell us something more about yourself

Quote:
Whenever I post to a forum I always prepare myself for different attitudes and sometimes the false assumption of attitude that email, blogging and text messaging can easily convey.
Very easily, so you're to be congratulated

Quote:
I'm not mad at anyone though.
That's what I keep telling myself though I have to admit that some of 'em drive me to distraction
0 Replies