A long, slow, painful death. RIP
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:29 pm
Ok, I'll bite.

Who/what is seattlebuzz?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think I only looked at it once, waaaay back in the beginning, just to see what people were talking about.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:38 pm
@chai2,
When Abuzz died, there were a number of efforts to replace it. Seattlebuzz was almost successful, but they didn't have the great core membership a2k started with and they didn't have Robert. They only limped through the motions most of their existence.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:39 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ok, I'll bite.

Who/what is seattlebuzz?

Once upon a time, the New York Times operated a website by the name of abuzz.com. Many A2K regulars originally met there, and the A2K website itself has much in common with Abuzz.

When the New York Times closed down Abuzz, some Abuzz users persuaded somebody at Abuzz to let them run another instance of its software. Seattlebuzz.com was the domain in which this instance of the Abuzz software lives. It became a watering hole for many former Abuzzers.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Shut down.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 04:37 am
Bye bye birdie!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:12 am
@Thomas,
Thanks for that, Thomas. I have learned something today, as I never knew abuzz was a New York Times thing, and didn't know that Seattlebuzz even existed.

I've obviously heard reference to abuzz over the years, but just assumed it was a place where everyone hung out before A2K came along.

I'd have liked to have been there on abuzz, as it sounds as lively as old a2k was. Why didn't anyone give me a call?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 06:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Thanks for that, Thomas. I have learned something today, as I never knew abuzz was a New York Times thing, and didn't know that Seattlebuzz even existed.

I've obviously heard reference to abuzz over the years, but just assumed it was a place where everyone hung out before A2K came along.

I'd have liked to have been there on abuzz, as it sounds as lively as old a2k was. Why didn't anyone give me a call?
Actually, it started with the Boston Globe (that's where I always logged in) and later was run by the NYT (got a ballpoint pencil from them!) when they bought the Globe.

I've looked at Seattlebuzz only very few times ...
JPB

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 07:56 am
There were a couple folks here when I first joined that were members of both. Stu-somebody comes to mind.

I visited a couple times and saw a bunch of unrest over their moderation policies and members being banned. There were also references to "the other place" meaning A2K. There seemed to be much more attention paid to A2K than was ever given here to them.
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 08:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Actually, it started with the Boston Globe (that's where I always logged in) and later was run by the NYT (got a ballpoint pencil from them!) when they bought the Globe.

I've looked at Seattlebuzz only very few times ...

Ditto me too. Both the Globe and the Seattlebuzz - although when they first moved there I went on more. Every once in a while I would peek back, but there wasn't much going on.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 08:56 am
@JPB,
"There seemed to be much more attention paid to A2K than was ever given here to them...."

That doesn't surprise me. A2K was really something special when I first stumbled across it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
A great American philosopher once mused:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:06 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Really sorry to hear that, Bobsal.

That is the final death of Abuzz...a great, great site at one time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm
I was a member, but Seattlebuzz just didn't suit me enough to stay. The owner of the site was a truly nice guy, by my estimation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 01:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
For some reason, I thought Abuzz and Seattlebuzz ran concurrently with Seattlebuzz surviving when Abuzz died...rather than one following the other.

Do you know for sure?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 01:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Seattlebuzz was founded in 2003 or 2004 as far as I remember.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The "welcome page" is dated Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:07 pm ... and still online.