How do you get rid of sty's?

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
You know, those things that sometimes grow under eye lids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 49 • Views: 415,399 • Replies: 106
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:24 am
Somebody has to have some kind of answer here, please!!!LOL....My friend is in pain and is willing to try almost anything. I heard once that rubbing a gold ring over them worked to get rid of them, but i dunno?
Turner 727

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:30 am
My mom had a sty when I was a lot younger. I don't remember what she did to get rid of it. Of course, it was 25 years ago. I'm sure there's some kind of cure for it.

Go to www.webmd.com and look up sty's there. Perhaps they have some information on it.
bella

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:50 am
Go to the doctor. There are drops availiable for this problem.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:32 pm
You might visit an opthalmologist and get an Rx for an ointment. This may help your discomfort and also prevent any infection from affecting your eye.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:35 pm
Yes, you could just to the rational thing and see an opthamalogist. And spend money. OR you can do what my father used to do when his young sons got stys. An old folk remedy that worked for him was to grind up the petals of the flower, nasturgem (sp?), as I recall it was a pretty orange colored petal. He took the juice and swabbed it on our sty, and in no time it just dried up, then disappeared. Better to see a doctor.
0 Replies

Gods groovy lady

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:39 am
Ways to get rid of a sty
Hey all, I'm new here. THis is my first reply. I have a sty right now or atleast a swollen eye or something. My grandma always told me that if I had a sty that I should put hot tea bags on it (but not too hot otherewise you burn yourself and have scab there.) It works though cause the sty gets smaller, but it is something that doesn't get rid of it all at once, you need to do this everyday untill the sty is gone. It just shrinks the sty smaller and sooths it.

Also, another person said you just need hot water, but I don't know about that one, I think herbs in the tea might do something that just hot water can't but I could be wrong. Also, this idea just came into my head....A sty makes your eye swollen pretty much, right? Well, I wonder if putting ice on it would bring down the swelling? I hope this info helps. Very Happy
Glass Tyrant

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:19 am
My eye hurts. Embarrassed Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease help meh.
Glass Tyrant

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
asd
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
A sty is an infected hair follicle. Like all infections the dead white blood cells accumulate and the resulting pus causes swelling.
The swelling probably causes the pain.

Hot compresses (water is just fine, no herbs are needed) can encourage the swelling to come to a head--rather like a pimple--and the head can be lanced to drain the pus.

Unless you or a friend have very steady hands, I'd see a doctor.
Heeven

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:39 am
I used to suffer from styes all the time when I was a kid and my mom used the warm tea-bag trick. The warmth draws the pus in the stye to the surface. Lots of people use warm/cool tea-bags to refresh eyes and reduce puffiness so the result of using a tea-bag is two-fold although generally a warm compress will do.

Stye

How to care for a Stye
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:22 pm
Great links, Heeven.
0 Replies

cutie 84

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:34 am
Stye's
Thanks to everyones advice about the Stye situation, I have one and it is soooooooo painful Crying or Very sad . My mother in-law said to get my Nans wedding ring and rub it on the STYE!!! I think I'll go for the teabag one.
silvermoonbeams

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 12:54 pm
old cures for stys
ok there is washing your eye with salt water often, or a cold/hot tea bag...both work well.
i been getting stys since i was a little kid.
but if you use the tea bags and it doesn't go away after 2 days go to the doctor.
0 Replies

kikirocks

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 08:30 am
As my momma used to say...... pluck the eyelash and if you have some clear stuff with a black head on it YOU GOT IT Very Happy
0 Replies

kikirocks

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 08:30 am
As my momma used to say...... pluck the eyelash and if you have some clear stuff with a black head on it YOU GOT IT Very Happy then put a hot rag on it and it will drain itself out
0 Replies

kikirocks

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:25 am
For get all the things people told you like the ring thing or the hot tea bag stuff. Here is a EXTREMELY simple and fast way to get rid of a sty. All you need to do is boil hot water pour it into a coffee mug and stick the eye with the sty into the mug. Rest your head on the rim and it will shrink instantly Very Happy such a simple way and it really works Smile
reises pieces3

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:50 pm
hey.. i have had my sty for about a year.. i used the drops my doctor gave me but nothing happened so i bought some polysporin (sp?) and it made it a little smaller but i still have it and i am now growing another one on my other eye.. and it hurts so if anyone thinks of anything that will help me PLEASE LET ME KNOW... i've tried everything eye drops, hot water with sea salt stuff for infection.. everything, it goes away but then just comes right back Sad
jesika

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:02 pm
owwwwwwwwwwww!

i got my first ever sty today and i want it to go away i look like iv been punched in the eye! ITS DISGUSTING and it hurts!!! how long do they take to go away?
CriticalMass

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:31 am
I do not imagine anyone will even see this since it has been quite a while since someone wrote in to this Topic. However, I will submit this just in case someone stumbles across it...

I have a bump on the eyelid above the eyelash, it has been there for two days. I tried a hot compress, at two different times today, and it really did not do much.

Why is bad to squeeze it? I have heard it is bad to try and squeeze it, like a pimple for example. I thought the thing to do, was to get it to come to head, then for it to drain and go away?

Thanks,

Crit