Legally Blonde

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
I adore Cameron Diaz but didn't find "There's Something About Mary" to be all that funny. Number 27? I don't think so. Old Gilligan's Island reruns are funnier than that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
What comedy would replace it since you obviously feel it shouldn't be on the list (it would have to be a film not on the list).

They're not comparing any movies with TV sitcoms and some of the "Gilligan's Island" episodes are funny if self-consciously silly and some are just plain lame and not funny.

I guess a thread would be in order on this subject since we are basically hijacking this thread but I've not posted many new ones as the featured topic has been put on hold for many months.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:52 pm
I don't remember Arthur as being that funny. Maybe I should see it again.

I love Madeleine Kahn ... hmmm, was Young Frankenstein on that list? Oh, yeah... number 13!

Well, we are lightly hijacking this thread but at least we're still talking about film. I don't quite understand what you mean about the featured topic being on hold. Do you mean it is locked or that no new topics are being featured?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
No new topics can be featured nor dropped from the featured status.

"Arthur" is another romantic comedy that isn't always laugh out loud funny. It has its charms if one can get past the being drunk gimmick. Sir John Gielgud steals the movie and walked off with the Oscar for Best Supporting. The song also won the Oscar.

We've had a Favorite Movie Comedies thread before and I believe "Some Like It Hot" came out on top.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
My favorite films to watch are always comedies. I think everyone needs to laugh a little more. Very Happy

OK -- I'll watch Arthur again and see what I missed. I am not so fond of the "drunk" gimmick. It's not that I'm straight-laced, I just think it gets old quickly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
It is a politcally incorrect considering how much of the population have serious problems with alcohol abuse and it's hard to find that funny.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:08 am
Right. Remember when Dean Martin would (I hope) pretend he was drunk on stage? Now it just seems sad.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
Who was the other comedian that went out of "fashion" and always played the drunk in his stand up schtick, on roasts and TV? It's still used in movies and TV as a joke and most effectively on "Absolutely Fabulous." Of course, Eddie and Patsy wouldn't be near as funny if they were always sober and they rarely play it like they are really more than just tipsy which is "maintenance drinking" (maintaining the high without getting falling down drunk). Well, except for the wine tasting episode in Provance when they can't quite make it into the car (a kind of don't drive while drinking, just pass out twist).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:31 am
AbFab is funny indeed, and it wouldn't work without the "Stoli and Bolly". Lots of my favourite comedies made the list, I'm happy to say.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
I don't remember, but oh m'god... Absolutely Fabulous is so funny. I don't know why I love it, and my family can barely stand me when I watch it. <silly grin>

Patsy is my hero -- did you ever see the time she tried to "eat" something? Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Joanna Lumley! Yes!

Maybe I like her so much because I'm more like Edina, Sweetie???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/furniture/mainpic.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:03 am
This may have made "Arthur" more palatable and dispell I suspect the kneejerk response that a funny drunk actually supports or promotes alcholism. Probably not but we're such a sensitive society these days.

What does anyone think of the new Ab Fabs on Oxygen? The guest stars have been f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:47 pm
I agree... I just don't think a drunk is so funny MOST of the time, however, Patsy and Eddie makes me laugh. We are so sensitive as a society that it is a wonder we can breathe, that's for sure.

Haven't seen any of these AbFabs on Oxygen. I get that channel but don't watch it much. I'll look for it. For a long time I was going to have Patsy be my avatar... if I ever figure out how to cut down any of the several photos I've seen of her so that they are the right length, she probably will be --- and then think of what my reputation will be. Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:10 am
The new Ab Fabs were bought by Oxygen and were on Friday nights at 9:00 PM. I don't think they are repeating them. They could show up in rerun on the BBC or Comedy Channel.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
We've seen the new AdFabs and they are terrific. Laughing I'm amazed the show still has the comedic edge it started with. In the hands of an American, it would truly suck. Thank god they didn't produce it with....was it Roseanne?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Piffka wrote:
I don't remember, but oh m'god... Absolutely Fabulous is so funny. I don't know why I love it, and my family can barely stand me when I watch it. <silly grin>

Patsy is my hero -- did you ever see the time she tried to "eat" something? Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Joanna Lumley! Yes!

Maybe I like her so much because I'm more like Edina, Sweetie???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/furniture/mainpic.jpg

I'm a big fan of this show too. They had a week-end marathon of this show last year. I taped quite a few of the shows.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:23 am
I have some of the old shows on VHS including the "final" show "The Last Shout." The new episodes broadcast last year were just average Ab Fab (which is still better than most of the American sit com). Now we're on TV and way off topic!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
We may be off topic LW, but is there really anything more to say about Legally Blonde? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:58 am
II should be declared illegal.
0 Replies