Assistance Attributing an Unsigned 18th Cent Painting

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:00 pm
Hello,

Would like some insight in regards to attributing an 18th Century Oil Painting. My first impression was Rococo, possibly Jean Baptiste van Loo or Jean Antoine Watteau, however, it could possibly be Jean-Baptiste Santerre or circle of.

Thank you for any input you may provide and below is a link to review the art in question:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/izhackwzkgpve55/_fi_HVM2qV

Kind regards,
Brian
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,565 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 01:54 pm
@masqueradetribal,
Well that's frustrating --

Trying to Google images of rococo madonnas I keep getting redirected to the pop singer Madonna and her son Rocco.

Your best bet might be to find a company that insures art works. They'll most likely get you an appraisal.
timur

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm
@boomerang,
No, it's just a matter of keywords.

Look here:

Madonna1

Madonna2

Madonna3

Madonna4
boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 04:22 pm
@timur,
I was trying to narrow it down to artists painting in the Rococo style (which the painting in question appears to be) so that I wouldn't have to wade through the bazillions of Madonna paintings.

I think "rococo" is what is throwing my searches into pop star Madonna images. I guess more people search for "Rocco, Madonna" than "Rococo Madonnas".
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 04:27 pm
@boomerang,
I'll post to say I have no idea..

I only took art classes after university and any of my knowledge is from reading this and that. Except from when I went and looked.

No idea on this painting question.
masqueradetribal

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:58 am
@ossobuco,
Hello again,

Thank you for trying as this is a very difficult task. Although all were influenced by each other, below is a link to some Rococo works that seem to share the same characteristics with the subject painting:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n2sb12hgg2c3fwz/jpQpkj0LWT

All the best,
Brian
0 Replies