Motivation of Abortion Protesters

gollum

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:22 pm
Some people are vitriolically opposed to abortion. Are such people involved in helping living people in need? If not, what motivates the protesters?

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:48 pm
@gollum,

They see the 'unborn' as living people in need, and really feel that abortion is genocide.
gollum

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:31 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack-
Thank you.

I understood that, but I thought such people would also be concerned about the living real people who are handicapped, impoverished, etc.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:00 pm
@gollum,

Specific compassionate issues, many times, comes from that which is close to home, e.g. breast cancer, drunk drivers, animal cruelty, etc.
Just as many charitable people like to see their contributions acknowledged; at times, when you contribute such that can build a wing to a hospital, they name it after you, or it can be dedicated to a loved one.
When it comes to abortion, there is often a religious zeal added, as if it is the reason of your being. Deep passion can make one seem nutty - like people who speak Klingon.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm
@gollum,
You make it seem that protecting the unborn is somehow diametrically opposed to other forms of altruism.

What causes you think that?
gollum

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 04:52 pm
@neologist,
neologist-
Thank you.

I do not think that protecting the unborn is somehow diametrically opposed to other forms of altruism.

I imagine that abortion protesters care about human life. Presumably that is why they protest again abortion. If they do care about human life as I suspect they do, I think they would also be involved in helping the poor, handicapped, etc. However, I have never read of any involvement by abortion protesters in addressing these other problems.
Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:08 pm
Wonder if the foetus they saved turned out to be gay, would they still defend his/her rights?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:11 pm
@gollum,
I think you could explain it by saying they care about the unborn's unfettered opportunity for life. Once born, he/she (and the mother) is on it's own.
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:28 pm
@gollum,
I imagine many abortion protestors do get involved in other campaigns and protests, do gooders cant help themselves. I just cant think of a medium through which it would be reported?

I also never hear about politicians going to the dry cleaners, or policemen going to local chinese either.
gollum

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:39 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal-
Thank you.

I think you are right, it may go unreported.

However, politicians going to the dry cleaners, and policemen going to local chinese (restaurants) is not reported because it has no relevance to anything. In contrast, an abortion protester who is also involved in helping poor or handicapped babies, shows a connection.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:40 pm
@neologist,
The issue is the suprising number of people who only care about people before they are born. Well... this guy says it best.

Calamity Dal

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:58 pm
@gollum,
you're welcome chap, you are right, and it would be interesting if someone would stalk abortion protestors to see what they really get up to in their spare time.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:07 pm
They're looking at something the wrong way. Most people having abortions are demoKKKrats and the world needs fewer demoKKKrats, not more of them.

I have no problems with the idea. Without Roe/Wade, the last GOP election win in America might have been in 1993.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:10 pm
I suspect that their motivation is religious orthodoxy. I see no reason to consider them to be acting from any heightened sense of compassion or altruism.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:20 pm
@Setanta,

Except if their religion pushes hard for members to be altruistic and compassionate.

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:25 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Yeah, right . . . that's always worked a treat. Wanna buy a bridge?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:44 pm
As an atheist who is opposed to abortion, allow me to explain, at least for myself. It really doesn't take a huge amount of charitable spirit to say that you believe that murder should be illegal. I equate abortion with murder. The fact that if asked, I will say, "Yeah, I'm against murder" doesn't imply that I'm going to run out to serve food at a soup kitchen.

You can keep trying to make some nonsensical argument that my position is internally inconsistent, but it isn't, and if I have sufficient interest to waste more of my time, I can shoot down any such argument. I just disagree with you about abortion and it's as simple as that.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:47 pm
Interesting article in the New Yorker this last week, or maybe the week before -
on how fewer and fewer good gynecologists are doing abortions now, not wanting to deal with the protesters. I can see that - a friend lives in an upscale neighborhood in California and I remember her remarking about the hassling the guy across the street got, and the fear, as he did do abortions in his practice. This was a while ago, let's say fifteen years, but according to the NYer article, this is having an effect re who's left out there to do them. The article is about one (my words, sociopath with a greed problem).

I checked it, it's in the Feb 3 issue, so still probably on magazine stands.
A Botched Operation, by Eyal Press.
And, it turns out it's not an article you have to be a subscriber to read (thank goodness).

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/03/140203fa_fact_press
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The issue is the suprising number of people who only care about people before they are born.
Noted. For some it is an issue wrapped in a phantasm of religious emotion.

Their motivation notwithstanding, it does not bear on the morality of abortion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well said
0 Replies