Text ads within forum content

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:22 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
msolga--

Bra ads? No disparagement, but bra ads are probably the closest you'll ever get to being featured in a Playboy centerfold.

Oh damn! My life-long ambition .... thwarted! Crying or Very sad

All the same, I feel sadly defiled & belittled by the use of my name in vain & am thinking of changing it to something with zero commercial connotations .... like, um ... stoneycoldbroke, prolegirrrrl, ukrainian_ peasant, or cashfree. That should do the trick! Idea
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
squinney wrote:
Olga

(heehee)

Hey, it didn't work!

Saved! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
I didn't work!!!

This is what I got via the green Olga in the Cat Room! Mad

http://store.yahoo.com/breakoutbras/underwirebras.html?source=olga&OVRAW=olga&OVKEY=olga&OVMTC=content

Jeeze. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:40 pm
I don't see any of this stuff, so far, having, as I do, a Mac..

though I'm sure it is disconcerting, I'm all for a2k survival..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:52 pm
Oh, I'm all for survival, too, osso!
But let's share these green name links around to lots more of us! Idea Lots & lots a great possiblities!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:59 pm
I saw the greenies a few months ago, on the last go-round, but not this time, yet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:02 am
Olga bras are verra verra nice, but their skivvies are the ultimate. Great seaming down the back centre. Good definition Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:27 pm
That's handy to know, ehBeth!
0 Replies

BeiYin

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:56 am
Underlined link adds
To have this adds in my posts feels like a violation of my expression. Especially when these advertisements are selling things which are extremely opposite of my opinion. For example if I am talking about my problems with alcohol then the pop up announcement tells how good is this brand of whisky, etc. This is just ridiculous and I don't think I can take it. There should be alternative ways to finance this forum...
Thinking about it a bit more: It makes me really angry if somebody is manipulating what I have written. It is like somebody comes into my room and shits on my carpet. Would you like this if it happens to you?

BeiYin
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
BeiYin wrote:
... It is like somebody comes into my room and shits on my carpet. Would you like this if it happens to you?

Prolly wouldn't like it much, but if it were their carpet in their room, an open-to-the-public room into which I'd been admitted by my own volition and at no cost to myself, I'd think it'd prolly be somethin' I didn't have much to say about - other than that I don't like it; ain't my room, they're just lettin' me hang out there as long as I care to hang out there and put up with the way they do things. That's my take, anyhow. As far as the greenies go, I doubt anyone likes 'em all that much, but they sorta are the way things are done here, and there's no secret about it. I guess I can live with 'em.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:20 pm
Re: Underlined link adds
BeiYin wrote:
Would you like this if it happens to you?
BeiYin

I'd probably not like it, but insofar as analogies go it makes no sense. This is not your carpet.

If the ads on a website made me feel like "somebody comes into my room and shits on my carpet" I'd probably just not use the site, simple as that. Free content sites often pay the cost by displaying ads, and each individual weighs the nuisance of the ads versus the content they want to see.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 02:58 pm
I have no problem with the text adds since I feel able enough to mentally block them out while still retaining their meaning in the text created by the poster. How many times have we seen a misspelling or even, in the case of posters with English as second language, grammatical mistakes? These are easily ignored without damaging the poster's intent.

I prefer chromological highlights rather than underlining This then would not interfere with the author's ability to chose this method to emphasize certain parts of the text while still denoting the choice of an available link.

JM
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
I have no problem with green words, which means if they raise revenue I want them there. I wouldn't mind participating in a "special add just for you" scheme either, in which users could volunteer for additional add exposure. That is if the green things end up being dropped.

I'm puzzled that anyone would even bother to write and complain over the adds, let alone send hatemail. My initial reaction is let them do without, but obviously that is none of my business.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:34 am
As they say, "There is no such thing as a free lunch". To the people who feel that they are being oppressed by the ads, would you prefer to come up with the cost of running the site? I'll take the "greenies", thank you!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:20 pm
Re: Text ads within forum content
Craven de Kere wrote:
Shortly Able2Know.com will experiment with an ad format better suited to forums (which are already hard to monetize).

Now it has the potential to be controversial, and for this reason I'm seeking feedback here. Of course whether or not this is decided on is not entirely based on user-feedback as there are things like site viability to consider.

This could be a good enough revenue stream to sustain the site and even future growth. So it will be experimented with but its use in a user-generated setting is controversial. Hence the desire for feedback.

Here is how it works.

It's similar to the Google (AdSense) ads we were using in the past and similar to the Quigo (AdSonar) ads we are currently running in some places in that this too will be contextual.

But there's an additional factor in that IntelliTXT makes certain words within the content itself the ads.

This has a huge upside because many people simply ignore all ads and a publisher like Able2Know that is trying to monetize a free, content-based site has a hell of a time making ends meet.

Given that we are a forum this is even worse, there are too many repeat visitors and this makes it hard to use non-contextual models.

So this could be something that makes a big difference for Able2Know and it's future viability, but I do want to get feedback on it.

Incidentally, I happen to think that a text link ad is less intrusive than banners and such, but others might feel differently ("It's my post and....").

I'd prefer to use this kind of thing, and if it works well enough to remove one of the other ad spaces (e.g. dump the skyscrapers on the right) but that's just me.

Initially in testing it will be added to the existing ads (I can't afford to experiment with ad removals until I know how to generate the revenue that will be lost) but I hope this works well enough to get rid of most of the other ads.

The link ads themselves are liked to differently than regular links (double underline, will be a different color) and when you hover the mouse over them they'll clearly be labelled as an ad.

See the demo to learn more about how it works.

Bumping this back up because some people -- Mac users, or they might be Firefox users, I'm not sure -- might be seeing the ads for the first time.

They're actually nothing new, and they help to defray the cost of the site.
0 Replies