Text ads within forum content

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:26 am
Whatever is good for the site, is great!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
ehBeth wrote:
Would it be possible to prevent people using adblocking software unless they are subscribers?

I've thought about doing that. So far I don't want to take that step.

The people using ad blockers piss me off. They are freeloaders who use up other people's money while denying them they way with which they earn the money back.

If they do not like the ads they should not use the sites. What they do is like taking a taxi and not paying for it.

As it becomes more prevalent free content sites will start to disappear or will have to use more intrusive forms of advertising.

People like me are just stuck by being shafted by the inconsiderate bandwith theives. I don't want to move to exist exchanges, pop-ups, and such tactics to make up for their freeloading. Other sites would do this, and just pin more of the burden on the honest users.

One method I've experimented with is to simply block access if they are blocking ads. They would simply be written into an IP ban table on a server level (not site level) so they'd not be able to appeal it or anything.

But that was too agressive by my estimation so for now they can continue to be freeloaders and merit my contempt. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:21 am
I'm with ya on the Evil or Very Mad , craven.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:24 am
How Can you know or how can you determine if someone is blocking ads? I'm not doing it that I'm aware of - but the guys that control the proxy server and firewalls are seeming to find ways to tighten things up, mostly to prevent viruses and spyware.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:27 am
husker wrote:
How Can you know or how can you determine if someone is blocking ads?

It's hard to do. That's why any measures against it are too agressive for my tastes.

But there are ways to foil it, and one way is to design the site using imagemaps as navigation and use imagemaps that are standard ad sizes.

That way the freeloaders will block the means of navigation on the site.

Other ways are far more complicated and have been easily foiled or give too many false positives.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:31 am
Sometime can you tell me where to insert the code for the bannerad at the top? I cannot locate the file that holds place to insert that code?
TIA
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
There is no reserved space, you need to put it wherever you want it and you will have to make space. IF you want it in every header that'll be the overall_header.tpl file.
0 Replies

Exploitx

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
wow that is nice, Nice to be here and willing to pay for those stuffs on my site and forums.
thanks a lot

btw is open source? or just private script or whatever it is?
Would like to add it to our sites... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:57 am
Money makes the mare go and the piper must be paid.

Since money is very useful and we're practical idealists, I say go ahead.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:05 am
I'm for it too! I only use the amazon.com link, since I tend to not see the skyscrapers and headbanners...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:19 am
Just to make the point ... I'm a paying A2K subscriber ... I use aggressive (to say the least Mr. Green ) ad-and-other-stuff blocking, but I ain't fond of freeloaders either. I figure its only right to pay for the bandwidth you use, one way or another. :cool:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:11 pm
Wasn't our little entrepreneur a multi-poster for this get rich scheme?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:27 pm
yep - I've always wanted to use that report button!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 02:01 pm
I prefer it to the ads

and along with everyone - whatever it takes to keep the site going please
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:20 pm
The ads are currently being tested.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:23 pm
This should be interesting!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 05:44 pm
As I can see! It takes a while for a page to appear on my screen, not load, but just appear! I always right-click, and open in new window when I open a topic.

And my mouse is behaving funny... Still want to see them ads, craven!
[size=7]
Edit: a brief explanation[/size]
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 05:45 pm
Funny... this time the text and page appeared instantly! What are you giving your hamsters today, Craven? Anabolics?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:49 pm
It worked for me in one post. But I was confused at first just as I always am when new things are introduced.

When I was off line 11/03-4/04 A2k had changed so much I had a pretty hard time navigating for a while but I got used to fairly easily for me.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:26 pm
I've only seen one so far. It was subtle.
0 Replies