Logic Questions Help!

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:13 pm
Hi everyone, I will need help on the following questions which I have done. Please feel free to correct my answers and point out any queries that I have. Thanks!

For your information, i have put a (Ans) beside my chosen answer. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I have queries for question 7,8 and 10. I do not understand what is 'valid in virtue of meaning' and 'valid in virtue of form.' Hope I can get guidance here!. Thanks once again.

1) The argument "I think; therefore, I am" is
Valid and sound (Ans)
Valid and unsound
Invalid and sound
Invalid and unsound

2) The argument "Alice is crying; therefore, Alice is real" is
valid and sound
valid and unsound
invalid and sound
invalid and unsound (Ans)

3) The argument "snow is white, grass is green; therefore, snow is white" is
valid and sound (Ans)
valid and unsound
invalid and sound
invalid and unsound

4) The argument "snow is white, the moon is cheese; therefore, snow is white" is
valid and sound
valid and unsound (Ans)
invalid and sound
invalid and unsound

5) The argument "snow is white, grass is green; therefore, the sky is blue" is
valid and sound (Ans)
valid and unsound
invalid and sound
invalid and unsound

6) No argument is
valid and sound
valid and unsound
invalid and sound (Ans)
invalid and unsound

7) The argument "Bambi is a stag; therefore, Bambi is a deer" is
valid in virtue of form
valid in virtue of meaning

8) The argument "Bambi is a male deer; therefore, Bambi is a deer" is
valid in virtue of meaning
valid in virtue of form

9) "All stags are male" is
a tautology (Ans)
a contradiction
a tautology and a contradiction
neither a tautology nor a contradiction

10) "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" is
a tautology
a contradiction
both a tautology and a contradiction
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,949 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:55 pm
@xxkazamaxx,
Golly Max I'm afraid theere's a hitch of interpretation. For instance in 2. we have no way to know whether Alice exists

In 3, I'd say valid but unsound, depending on what you mean by "sound"

I'd say 4 is invalid and unsound but it will be interesting to hear from others

It's rapidly dawning on me however that part of the q depends on the situation of the second quote so I am quitting before I make a fool of myself if I haven't already
xxkazamaxx

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 09:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi thanks for the reply. I believe 3 should be valid and sound as sound means that all its premises are true with them being valid. In this case "snow is white, grass is green; therefore, snow is white' have all true premises.

Qn 4 is valid because it follows the form, p and q; therefore p.

Basically I manage to solve all the questions own my own after further readings. However, I am still unsure how to solve the last qu 10. Any help?!
igm

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 07:38 am
@xxkazamaxx,
xxkazamaxx wrote:

I am still unsure how to solve the last qu 10. Any help?!

xxkazamaxx wrote:

10) "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" is
a tautology
a contradiction
both a tautology and a contradiction

Changing the words might help e.g. I thought 2+2=4 was wrong but I was mistaken because 2+2=4 is correct.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 11:47 am
@xxkazamaxx,
Quote:
I am still unsure how to solve the last qu 10.
Max I'd say neither. If he was mistaken in thinking himself wrong then he was right
0 Replies

AdamasHaima

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:13 am
@xxkazamaxx,
Valid Argument - The premises logically guarantee the conclusion.
Sound Argument - The premises are both true and logically guarantee the conclusion.
Tautology - Being true by definition
Contradiction - Having two mutually exclusive properties.

Examples:
VA - All 'a' is 'b'. All 'b' is 'c'. All 'a' is 'c'. Any argument in this form will be logically valid. All gold is yellow. All that is yellow is Mustard. All gold is Mustard. This is a valid argument because of the form it takes, however it fails to be sound because the premises are not true.
SA - All men die. I am a man. I will die. This is valid because if the premises are true, the conclusions must be true. It is sound because the premises are true.
T - All bachelors are men. To be a bachelor is to be an unmarried man, thus it is definitionally true.
C - I am running and not running (easy) -OR- I am running and walking (harder). The easy form of C is to be both something and its negation. The harder form is mutual exclusivity (which includes the easy form). To be red and green is not a contradiction, but to be completely red and completely green is a contradiction.

Now to your questions.
1) I agree. In order to think one must exist in some respect, so long as it is true that I am thinking, I must exist therefore the argument is valid. I am in fact thinking, so the argument is sound.

2) I disagree. In order to cry (just like in number 1) one must exist (this premise is simply suppressed, or not listed). Therefore as long as Alice is in fact crying, she does exist.

3) I agree. The second premise is irrelevant to the conclusion, however, this doesn't matter. So long as your premises are true, the conclusion must be true. In this case the premises are true, so this is valid and sound

4) I agree. If the premises were true, the conclusion would be as well, however, the premises are not all true, therefore valid and unsound is correct.

5) I disagree. Neither premise has anything to do with the conclusion, therefor the argument cannot be valid. validity is a condition of soundness, therefore the argument is neither valid nor sound.

6)I agree as I explained above, soundness depends on validity, so an invalid argument is never sound.

7)Meaning. To be a stag means, in part, to be a deer, therefore the meaning of the words is what results in the truth of the statement (think back to tautology, this is reliant on definition, if the definition changed, the argument would also change).

8) Form. This is the equivalent of Bambi is male and Bambi is a deer, therefore Bambi is a deer. This is different because the definition of deer is irrelevant. No matter how you define deer this will be true.

9) I agree by definition of Tautology.

10)Neither. The reason being that, even though the meanings of 'being wrong' and 'being mistaken' are the same, the object they take in context is not the same. Once this person thought they were wrong about something, but they were mistaken in thinking that. (If however a person was wrong but was mistaken about being wrong, it becomes a contradiction, because that would mean that they were both wrong and not wrong about the same thing.)
xxkazamaxx

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 08:00 pm
Thanks for all your replies!!

I have the following questions which I have totally no idea what are the answers!!

An argument form is valid if and only if
in every row of the truth-table in which the premises are true, the conclusion is true
in every row of the truth-table in which the premises are true, the conclusion is false (I know this is definitely wrong)
in every row of the truth-table in which the premises are false, the conclusion is true
in every row of the truth-table in which the premises are false, the conclusion is false

There are sixteen possible two-place truth-functional connectives. There are_____ possible zero-place truth-functional connectives, _____possible one-place truth-functional connectives and ______possible three-place truth-functional connectives.

Suppose ⊥ is a symbol which stands for an arbitrary contradictory sentence. Complete the truth-table for ⊥

Suppose T is a symbol which stands for an arbitrary tautologous sentence. Complete the truth-table for T

kiuku

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:57 pm
@xxkazamaxx,
the first one is what is called an ontological argument, it's not a validity statement. the rest are weird. never seen anything like that sorry. 9 is a contradiction and 10 is a taut. Sorry I can't actually read what you wrote because it is nonsensical. I got to 10 though.

Whoever gave you that is just f***ing with you. Obviously someone is trying to see if you know -any- logic, not just if you can read a line. Sort of like ABC do you know it? You have to take Philosophy to answer these questions, because they are trick questions, the first one being Ontology not linear logic followed by another trick question only someone who majored in a different major would fall for.

Not Telling. Because obviously it's not a teacher this is just something you got for pretending to know Philosophy. Good luck.
0 Replies

oxfireflyxo

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 04:35 pm
@AdamasHaima,
Can someone show me the missing lines step by step?

1 (MↄB) ↄ~E
2 Ev[~Eↄ(RↄE)]
3 ~Rↄ[Rv(Ev~B)]
4 MↄB
/ ~B

Add line
0 Replies