How to get the motor running(feedback desired)

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:38 am
I've taken one colleg acting class and was in 2 plays back in elementary/middle school. I'm currently at a point in my life where I know I want to act, but am lacking some wisdom on getting the motor running. I read monologues on an almost daily basis, in also reading a book on auditions.I don't really care about fame,I just want to act, preferably on film.I have no agent, no resume, no headshots, and quite frankly no CLUE,on where to being.which do I get first? I've watching hundreds of YouTube videos w(probably exaggerating there, more like 15) . Did a ton of online research from blogs and etc. But I think it would be best if I stated MY situation personally, that way the advice would suite me more.always any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,326 • Replies: 5
No top replies

itsmisterholmes

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
@itsmisterholmes,
Also please excuse the grammatical errors.wasnt really thinking about spell check when I wrote this lol.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:46 am
Reduce you own ego and learn from those more experienced. Acting is a VERY difficult field to get into. Not many people are successful at it.

Follow the directions from people who KNOW what to do.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:54 am
@itsmisterholmes,
1. look up in your local directory for drama courses or theater groups. Go down there and let them know you want in.

2. Use Google to look for theater companies in your area.

3. Go back to a local college that has drama/acting (Liberal Arts) curricula and a reputation for theater. Ask questions there and tell them more of what you want from courses.

4. Revisit or go to your local community theater companies in your area and have meaningful discussions with directors and/or principle people the are involved.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:09 pm
Quote: I don't really care about fame,I just want to act, preferably on film

If it's just a hobby, have fun shooting vids of yourself acting out short scenes and post them around youtube to see what feedback you get..Smile
Also shoot a couple of dozen mugshot stills of yourself under various lighting conditions and facial expressions, (moody, angry, sexy, happy etc) and put them into a youtube vid as a slideshow.
You could also join a local drama group in your neck of the woods to have fun strutting your stuff on stage.
If you want to make a profession of it you'll have to sign up with an agent, but the competition is very tough, my middle-aged mate Waleed Khalid is a pro actor and he tells me it's a hard business because producers and directors seem to prefer to stick with established names rather than take a risk on newcomers.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3025830/
http://www.castingcallpro.com/uk/view.php?uid=57610

PS- here's a vid of me I shot for fun (Poor Old Spike is one of my nicknames)

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:35 pm
@itsmisterholmes,
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of aspirants out there. It's a tough business to get into. However, since you claim to not want fame, it's a lot easier to get into being an extra or the kind of actor who is called on for little scenes, for crowds and the like. I went to High School with a gal who does that. She's the masseuse in a quick spa commercial, or wears a nice dress in a party scene, or she's another mom at a playground or whatever. She very rarely has lines. She has an Actors' Equity card, probably from some commercial she did at one time. She, of course, has a day job. The kind of work that she does is not enough for anyone to make a living at.

If that is not what you want, then seek out acting classes - more of them. You took one in college. That's nice. Now take another five or more. Work on getting into productions, either at school or in the area. There are usually community productions of some sort. You need to get into these and really see what kind of work is involved. A few middle school productions are not enough, and they don't give you a true picture of what's truly involved.

It really, really helps if you can sing, as a lot of local productions are less picky about bringing more people into a chorus if you can prove that you can sing. Not just - you think you can sing. You have to be able to sing, so I would suggest taking voice lessons, too, and make the most of what you've got. I would also suggest taking dance. Even if you never, ever want to do a musical, even fight scenes require some form of choreography. Plus it will help you to move better.

I do hope you're taking care of your body physically. As in, working out, eating right, getting enough sleep, lifting weights, and not smoking. Yes, there are overweight people who act, but there are a lot fewer of them than there are fit people. So if you're not fit now, you need to get that way. It's easier when you're younger (trust me on this one), so get into good habits now.

This is effort. It is work. It's not something you can just slide into without further ado. Even my pal who acts in the occasional commercial still watches her weight and takes classes when she can - and she's in her 50s.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies