• Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,687 • Replies: 44
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:24 am
@Sitara,
Sitara wrote:
Is Chrstianity the true religion?

Probably not. And neither is Christianity.
0 Replies

graceforall

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 06:31 pm
I believe it is, and the only way to do this is facts, clearly, rationally, and what can be proven.
Woman4Christ

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 04:48 am
@Sitara,
To those that believe and accept Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

Josie Burness

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:29 am
I am a Christian, but I am a little different from most. I accept that there are many religions who have their own gods. There is probably some truth and wisdom in all of them. It is my choice though to worship Jesus.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:41 pm
@Sitara,
Bertrand Russell noted that with all of the religions in the world having competing doctrines, only one can be correct. (He, of course, concluded none could be correct.) I say one.

I suggest a look at the Bible verse at John 13:35 to begin your search.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 07:12 am
@Sitara,
Sitara wrote:

Im just asking.

Christianity really should just be called Paulism. Because ALL modern christians do nothing other than what Paul suggests. Yet Paul never met jesus and made huge assumptions based on his lack of knowing. He is the one who boosted Jesus into the God head. Yet neither the bible nor any doctrine supports this. But that doesn't stop christians from claiming it does.

One of the other lines that get's quoted often is how Jesus claims that the "only" way to god is through him. This is actually a vague statement because it has one other possible explanation but it gets ignored and tossed out. I will describe this alternative explanation.

If you were to follow Jesus's example and method without believing Jesus to be divine, and just a normal mortal like yourself then it is the method that is important, not the person. In fact this idea is biblically supported.

However; Paul felt this was too difficult for people to accept and made the claim that simply believing Jesus sacrificed himself to redeem humanity was the only thing that was necessary. This was much easier for people to accept and why modern christians care nothing for the method and ONLY accept that Jesus died for them to be redeemed.

This only works if Jesus was divine. Therefore Paul had to come up with a solution to make Jesus into a god even though all the doctrines conflict with this. So ALL modern christians take Paul's opinion to be correct. This is why they should be called Paulists.

I have said this long before I read anything written by Bertrand Russell who came to the same conclusion. He was even more educated in christian writings than I was yet I came to the same conclusion after doing a little research into the history of christianity.

Later in a lecture by Bart Ehrman he comes to the same conclusion but actually worked out the entire thing using Paul's writings as evidence to back up the theory. He gave me even more fuel for this idea that modern christians are duped by Paul to believe Paul as an authority. So apologists attempt to claim that Paul himself was also divine and god was using Paul as a stepping stone to varify the christian future.

In other words bullshitters attempting to give credit to another bullshitter.
Josie Burness

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:01 am
@Krumple,
The bible claims that truth was revealed to Paul through revelation of the Holy Spirit. Without a belief in the same your arguments are futile as they are missing the possibility of a divine influence over the learning of those who believe.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:12 am
@Josie Burness,
Oh yeah? Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

What part of the bobble says that? The part written by Paul or his minions? Ah-hahahahahahahahaha . . .

It's one thing to believe that there is a deity--it's something altogether different to buy all of that old scriptural bullshit, which portray's an immature, psychotic and murderously cruel god. You're welcome to him.
Josie Burness

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:21 am
@Setanta,
Thanks!

Yes, it's in Paul's section, but it's also spoken of by Jesus in the gospels, and part of my own personal experience. I would quote the sciptures but I am perceiving you couldn't care less anyway as you have your own view of my God.

That's ok. Bless you!
MrMix

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:53 pm
@Josie Burness,
I couldn't agree with you more Josie Barness! Krumple & setanta should be very careful preaching false doctrine.

2 Peter 2:1–3

2 But there were also false prophetss among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you.t They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
Krumple

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:17 pm
@MrMix,
MrMix wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more Josie Barness! Krumple & setanta should be very careful preaching false doctrine.

2 Peter 2:1–3

2 But there were also false prophetss among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you.t They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

Yep the only sources that need to site a warning on it's skeptics generally is the direct result that they are peddling bullshit. If the bible were a legitimate source from a divine creator there would be no need for a warning clause. It would speak for itself. But since we both know the bible is a bunch of male cow feces it needs an attempt to scare of would-be skeptics.

If a god created me with the mind that I have, and this mind leads me to this conclusion then this god made me destined for it's own torture. To punish me for this "crime" is a crime of itself. This god wouldn't even be worthy of praise let alone worship.
neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:27 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
If a god created me with the mind that I have, and this mind leads me to this conclusion then this god made me destined for it's own torture. To punish me for this "crime" is a crime of itself. This god wouldn't even be worthy of praise let alone worship.
Were you to actually read the Bible, you would know you are posting a straw man.
MrMix

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:33 pm
@Krumple,
" In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping".

All I have read from you is condemnation??

You wrote;
"Yep the only sources that need to site a warning on it's skeptics generally is the direct result that they are peddling bullshit. If the bible were a legitimate source from a divine creator there would be no need for a warning clause".

Why wouldn't there be any warnings?? God is a loving God and he is simply letting us know the traps and dangers that exist in the world?? Would your own biological father warn you of the dangers in the world? Then that's exactly what our Heavenly farther is doing. The world is full of good and evil, surly you've realised that??

You wrote;
"But since we both know the bible is a bunch of male cow feces it needs an attempt to scare of would-be skeptics".

Firstly I have no idea why you've written "cow feces" when you have written "bullshit" earlier in the paragraph?? Lol
And secondly "we both" don't know the Bible is a bunch of cow feces... That's what YOU think. No need to put words into my mouth. The mention of "male cow feces" in your sentence indicates to me that your a female that has had some form of conflict with a male.. Let me guess, relationship breakup or father problems that has now led you to point the finger at all males and blame God and the bible for your misfortune?? Remember as adults we are accountable for actions and take full responsibility. Your barking up the wrong tree if your blaming God believe me.

You wrote;
"If a god created me with the mind that I have, and this mind leads me to this conclusion then this god made me destined for it's own torture. To punish me for this "crime" is a crime of itself. This god wouldn't even be worthy of praise let alone worship".

Firstly God created you to have free will, why?? Because to truely love you must have free will. Love can't be forced because then it wouldn't be legitamate love. You are destined to the choices YOU make. Not God! Like I said earlier, as adults we take full responsibility for our actions and are accountable. No need to play victim. If you are 3 years old fine, I can understand that. Seems to me like you have had some serious conflicts in your life but condeming God is going the wrong way about it. God is love and he wants you to be happy. Don't blame him for the wrongs that have happend in your life.

Luke 23:34
"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do".
0 Replies

MrMix

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:14 am
@neologist,
@ krumple. Yep This is yet another example of someone who has not read the bible nor understands how God works. There are people who don't understand that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship you have with the almighty but run their mouths condeming The Lord when things have gone wrong in their lives?? It's sad but the our God is a merciful God so all we can do is pray for them that he opens their eyes one day.
FBM

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:36 am
@graceforall,
graceforall wrote:

I believe it is, and the only way to do this is facts, clearly, rationally, and what can be proven.

Not sure I understand you perfectly, but it seems that you're saying that this religious claim can be proven? If so, how? Also, if you were to manage to prove it, you'd destroy faith in the effort. That would be a Pyrrhic victory, seeing as how faith is indispensible to salvation in this thought system.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1).
neologist

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 02:57 am
@FBM,
Where on the continuum of naive realism and mathematical certainty do you wish to have your assurance?
FBM

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 03:19 am
@neologist,
Take your pick, I guess. Some sort of unambiguous evidence (that entails the theistic conclusion) would be helpful. We could at least analyze it.
FBM

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 03:30 am
@neologist,
Please don't take that as being snarky. What I mean is, there are lots of religions and sects within them making competing, contradictory claims. How are we to choose one over the other sans evidence? I can think of appeals to consequences, traditions, authorities, emotions, etc, but they're all fallacious.
Krumple

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 09:38 pm
@MrMix,
MrMix wrote:

@ krumple. Yep This is yet another example of someone who has not read the bible nor understands how God works. There are people who don't understand that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship you have with the almighty but run their mouths condeming The Lord when things have gone wrong in their lives?? It's sad but the our God is a merciful God so all we can do is pray for them that he opens their eyes one day.

You are so delusional you have to tell yourself that I have never read the bible because of course anyone who has read it would never come to the conclusions Krumple has, that is impossible!

The fact is I have read it. Not to mention it is a terrible read. For a book that is suppose to be divinely influenced it is a bore. The only thing I see in it is ancient men grasping at straws to make sense of their existence and failing to actually do so.

A really good example of this is the tower of babel. Anyone who has taken a minor physics class would understand that you can't construct a tower out of mud bricks without it eventually succumbing to the forces of pressure on the supporting base bricks. The tower was destined to fail not because of a god's angry wrath (which a god would have to of known about the laws of physics therefore there would have been no need to become upset at humans attempts to construct a tower to heaven) because it would have failed on it's own and no need to punish humans for their attempt.

However; my take is, the tower failed but they misunderstood why. They didn't understand the principles involved like compression strength of materials they were working with. So when it collapsed they ASSUMED it was the wrath of their god but instead it was just simple physics they didn't understand.

This theme comes up time and time again. If you examine all the laws in the Torah you will quickly notice that a huge majority of these laws are based on avoiding germs and bacteria. They assumed god was punishing them but in fact it was just an illness due to the lack of knowledge about hygiene and viruses.

If a god was inspiring the bible it would be chalked full of correct ideas about the universe but it is just the opposite. It incorrectly describes the planet. Mistaken about the actual size of the universe and misses all that is actually important.

All Christianity is, is a myth that refuses to be accepted as the myth that it is.