Quarterback/offense running backwards to milk the clock??

rambo62

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:20 pm
In both college and NFL football when an offensive team is trying to milk as much time as they can off the clock, why don't they, after taking the snap from their formation, just have their quarterback run backwards and run around the whole backfield burning as many minutes as possible? They could run this for anywhere from 1 to all 4 downs. They could even devise and set up many different types of plays with the offensive players and their quarterback running around the whole backfield all with the strategy of burning minutes off the clock with the defensive players trying to tackle the ball carrier. This could also bait defensive players to go after the quarterback(2 against 1, 3 against 1) running around the whole backfield and they try to close in to tackle him. As a result the qb would have 1 or 2 offensive players wide open for a forward pass. How could the defensive team possibly stop either of these situations? I don't see how. Does NFL and college football need a "shot clock"? That is right after the snap could the play clock instantaneously flip to a "shot clock" where the qb/offense has say 30 seconds to complete a play, otherwise its a down? This seems to me like it would prevent the qb/offense from running around the backfield just wasting time off the clock. Could you please take as much time as you need and thoroughly answer my questions? There's no hurry. I'd like them answered as best as you can. I'm fairly new to football and think I've figured out much of the game but still have some things to learn. Thanks.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:01 pm
Generally, the team in possession of the ball attempts to make forward progress so as to score points by getting within range to score a field goal or cross the opposing team's end zone with the ball to score a touchdown or at least gain better field position.

In regard to the plays employed in situations where the Offense is attempting to run-out the clock and scoring isn't feasible or desirable, a loss of yardage is not as advantageous as a gain of yardage or even no gain of yardage because the offensive side risks turning over the ball in worse field position than in the other two situations.
neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:31 am
@InfraBlue,
Yeah. Too many stupid things can happen. Besides, if the defense is out of timeouts, just getting one first down can run off a bunch of minutes. Hang on to the ball.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:45 am
@rambo62,
It might be said to be unsporting, failing to entertain the audience and bringing the game into disrepute all in proportion to how well the gambit worked.

If it became common and effective the rules would be changed to prevent it.

From the authorities point of view winning is packed stadia and high TV ratings. They pay the player's wages.
rambo62

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 03:42 pm
@spendius,
"If it became common and effective the rules would be changed to prevent it."

This is good to know.

I just think its a glaring loophole(that I see anyway) that needs to be acknowledged by the rules board before next season as they usually come up with new rules/changes before every season. It seems to me like the offense could devise many different types of these "going backwards" plays just to milk time off the clock without being in any real danger of turnover. Implementing a "shot clock" that the play clock flipped into after the snap, say like 30 seconds, would allow the walls to start closing in on the offensive team and there would be only a maximum amount of time that they could burn off the clock. Not any amount of time that they chose to depending on how good there offense was at running backwards, passing behind line of scrimmage,etc. A shot clock would force the offense to move forward and let them know that if they do choose to run any type of play going backwards well they've only got a MAXIMUM of two minutes(4 downs/30 sec each play) to milk the clock and not an endless amount depending on how good they were with the plays they came up with,etc. I just think its a really necessary rule that they need to include. It's just like long ago in basketball before they had a shot clock the team with the lead would just dribble around and pass on their end of the court and prevent the defense from ever getting the ball. There was nothing forcing them to go forward. Football needs the same thing. Even if the rules board and coaches don't realize it yet.

And I also know its like, "we don't need another clock we already have two." The thing is though, the play clock would literally flip into the shot clock right after the snap so it would be essentially the same two clocks all the time.
neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 03:58 pm
@rambo62,
My guess is it has been tried before and shown to be ineffective.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:45 pm
@rambo62,
Have you ever timed an NFL play?

Tell you what, let's bet a buck every play.
For every play that lasts longer than 30 seconds, I'll pay you one buck.
For every play that lasts less than 30 seconds, you have to pay me one buck.

Joe(I need the money)Nation
rambo62

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:32 pm
@neologist,
Don't think so. Not anything I'm aware of.
0 Replies

rambo62

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
No I haven't. I don't know maybe... 20 seconds. It would have to be looked at by the rules board. My point is that players are such great athletes that I believe the offense could come up with plays to strategically milk the clock as much as they wanted. You want to give the quarterback enough time to pass, run,etc. but keep in mind plays that are quick have the offense trying to go forward. I'm talking going backwards.

And no I don't bet.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:39 pm
@rambo62,
You're missing the whole point of the game. The easiest way to 'run out the clock' is to keep possession of the ball by making first downs. The only way to make first downs is to move the ball forward ten yards in four downs.

No team ever runs around in their own backfield in an attempt to 'milk the clock' because it wouldn't make any sense to do so.

Far better to take all the time (40 seconds) between plays and run the ball forward. In the scenario, you're envisioning, let's say there one minute left on the game clock. A team won't take the chance of getting caught for a loss by running backwards, they take the 40 seconds, run a play, (usually take a knee) then wait for the clock to run out.

BTW the average play in football is closer to 10 seconds or less.

Joe(Good luck tomorrow)Nation
0 Replies