Destroy My Belief System, Please!

carnaticmystery

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 01:51 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If I may, a person who believes in free will or agency can deplore fatalism, but if you don't believe in human agency, if you can't be an agent of change, what's wrong with fatalism?

there is nothing wrong with anything, unless you want to define right and wrong. fatalism, nihilism, negativity, lack of morality, all these things fall under the category of wrong in your opinion.

but to define right and wrong, and live constantly wanting everything to be right, is just setting up an impossible expectation, similar to eternal happiness. accepting everything as it is, even if you define it as fatalism, does NOT MEAN you will not change things for the good. it means you are simply aware that both good things and bad things may or may not happen, and you will certainly always feel the associated positive or negative emotions associated, and you are beyond the whole process. so you are not affected any more by negativity, and yet you still have the obvious, easy ability to try and avoid it.

so instead of living as a slave to the desire for eternal happiness, happiness becomes your own slave, which you can use whenever you want just for fun.
Olivier5

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:09 am
@carnaticmystery,
Quote:
happiness becomes your own slave

Perish the thought... Anyway, that wasn't the question.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:23 am
@JLNobody,
Thanks for an honest attempt at an answer. I still don't see the logic of a automaton rejecting anything. Plus the constant use of personal pronouns is really odd.
cicerone imposter

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 07:37 am
@JLNobody,
"Free will" is a loaded word unless one defines the parameters of what they mean.

We are the product of our parents, culture, language, environment, and biology.

Beyond those limits, does one have or does not have free will?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
@Olivier5,
I know how one can interpret the lack of ego or agency as an absence of life, which is what I take you to mean by the term "automaton." You and I act as expressions of the universe. Whatever it is it acts through us and all other natural phenomena. No agency is logically necessary, unless you consider the Universe to be some kind of teleological entity, a grand Agent, a God which is made up of us.
Olivier5

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:10 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
I know how one can interpret the lack of ego or agency as an absence of life, which is what I take you to mean by the term "automaton." You and I act as expressions of the universe.

By "automaton" I meant an organism, eg a human being, but without agency. To such a being, fatalism would be an obvious philosophical choice I think, especially if he was aware of his lack of agency.
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:22 pm
I know a middleaged 'Fatalist' and his life's a complete mess because he goes through life like an unthinking robot, trusting that everything is 'Gods Will', so he won't lift a finger to help himself.
As a result, he's got two failed marriages behind him, he's been hauled up court twice for non-payment of his council tax, and he's had his phone, gas and electricity cut off at various times for not paying the bills.
He's sloppy, disorganised with a brain like mush and this is the tickler- He's a Christian Evangelist street preacher!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 07:48 pm
@Olivier5,
How come I, a person who is neither fatalistic nor feels there is an homunculus within me (call it a self, ego, soul, whatever you want), still feels a sense of responsibility and autonomy? I am happily married, have no debts, retired from my profession in good standing, have a Ph.D. (albeit in penmanship).
Olivier5

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 08:14 pm
@JLNobody,
Forget the homunculus. I don't feel like one either.

I am happy to call you a person. "Self" is only a word. "Person" is actually a much better term for what we are, and there's a wholesome ring to it.
JLNobody

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:31 pm
@Olivier5,
I agree. Personhood is the best possible status to have.
Olivier5

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 09:08 am
@JLNobody,
Also because what it entails is a bit vague, I guess. How does a "person" actually "work" in practice doesn't come bottled up in the word "person", while a "self" or a "consciousness" imply some capacity for self-reflection and introspection.
JLNobody

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:09 am
@Olivier5,
This requires some thought, and it is important enough to warrant the effort. I have to leave for the day, but let me just suggest now that for me "personhood" refers to the individual as a complete human being, with a total subjective life, not just a bundle of Skinnerian dependent variables or effects of stimuli. See you later.
Olivier5

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:45 am
@JLNobody,
Okay, I'll wait a bit.
Razzleg

Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:17 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Razzleg wrote:
Oh, JLN, please provide an example of "choices" without "choosers"...Please disprove agency via meaningful agrammatical practices...Please describe the circumstance that allows "you" to "agree" with Krumple v. an alternative, sans agency...

Your understanding of both grammar, usage, and context is weak...

There are several ways to examine it. But if it never goes examined it is easy to be mistaken for agency. I'll attempt to show you what I mean using my re-occurring thought experiment.

Imagine you are born without any of your senses working. You are blind, deaf, can't taste or smell and your sense of touch all don't work. Your body is kept alive but you have absolutely no way of experiencing anything. The concept of self would never arise because the concept relies on the concept of "other".

This is me and this is not me.

Here is another example. If your arm were severed from your body and lay on the ground at your feet. Would you say that is still your arm? After all it is just a mass of cells laying on the ground. If it decomposed and became nutrients in the soil would you still say it is your arm? If those nutrients were adsorbed into plants would you still say it was your arm?

What is the point of these thought experiments? They are an attempt to turn your examination inward to look for where the self exists. If you examine it long enough you will discover there is no place that a self persists. There is an inflow of information through the senses but we are NOT this data. However; we react as if we are the data. This is why you say things like, I see this, or I hear that. You are trying to claim that you are experiencing a piece of data. No the data arises flows and ceases. No where is there a self that is experiencing the data.

We are taught the concept of self through our sense data. We attach to this concept as if it were real and important. The fact of the matter is, all there is, is the data. Nothing else.

i'm beginning to think that you misunderstand me..."agency" isn't "self-hood", and it certainly doesn't depend upon a sense of self. If anything, "selfhood", as well as "consciousness" in general, is a by-product of agency.

i also note that neither you nor JLN has provided an example of choices without choosers, per my request...

But let me address the points you did adress:

"Imagine you are born without any of your senses working. You are blind, deaf, can't taste or smell and your sense of touch all don't work. Your body is kept alive but you have absolutely no way of experiencing anything. The concept of self would never arise because the concept relies on the concept of "other"."

How would you seek to prove that assertion, given your inability to communicate with the hypothetical, senseless subject? And to be practical for a minute: would a person born without any external senses realistically be likely to survive, given the holistic way the nervous system operates?

"Here is another example. If your arm were severed from your body and lay on the ground at your feet. Would you say that is still your arm? After all it is just a mass of cells laying on the ground. If it decomposed and became nutrients in the soil would you still say it is your arm? If those nutrients were adsorbed into plants would you still say it was your arm?"

This is just a boring semantic argument that misses my point. It doesn't even hold water as an argument against selfhood, much less against agency. Ask me about Theseus' ship next...

JLNobody wrote:

My choice to answer your last challenge is a foolish one, but I see no chooser behind it, only a grammatical convention, the convention that suggests an agent behind rain; when rain falls we see and think that "it rains". Nietzsche rightly called grammar the metaphysics of the masses.

Cute callback. You do understand, of course, that i haven't been arguing for the distinction between agents and actions, but for agency. (i feel i that i have explained this a few times, now, to little avail.) Does the difference escape you? Rain doesn't fall without clouds, right? And precipitation is a local event that involves many, global players.

Krumple wrote:

We are taught the concept of self through our sense data. We attach to this concept as if it were real and important. The fact of the matter is, all there is, is the data. Nothing else.

Nope, on all counts. I'm sure that all of that fits in with your ontological model, but none of it is actually, psycho-historically observation based.
cicerone imposter

Sat 26 Apr, 2014 01:13 pm
@Razzleg,
I'm in your camp on this issue. Their concept of reality just doesn't make any sense.
0 Replies

void123

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:20 pm
@Thomas,
History is written by the winners. quote by Napoleon.
imagine if hitler won ww2 what then whould be fact and the manufactured evidence.
suffering is necessary for human development.
when first begining to play the guitar the strings hurt your fingers, and you get frustrated because you mess up, then you grow calluses and that frustration turns into music.
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:24 pm
@void123,
That's not even close to being an analogy. Where did you get your education?
void123

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
attack the argument not the person
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 08:09 pm
@void123,
Go to hell!
anonymously99

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 08:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good evening ci.