Health and Fitness Goals for 2014

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 08:47 am
http://able2know.org/topic/140411-1

Here we are again.
List your goals for 2014, Physical and Mental, then drop by here once in awhile to let us know how you are doing.

I don't know why I stopped posting on the 2010 thread, I ran my fastest marathon that year (4:56:52~ I know, not exactly supersonic) and I did get into size 34 jeans that Thanksgiving.

I'll be back with specific goals for this year. (I am running the NYC marathon, my fifth, in November, so that will be on there as well as some other goodies.

Join me, won't you?
I'll boost you, you boost me.

Joe(I'm starting from zero.)Nation

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 10:39 am
Okay. I'll do this myself. Hah.

I'm going to run the 2014 NYC Marathon, already confirmed my entry.
It will be my fifth marathon and I'd like to make it my best.

Also, I'm turning 67 this April, but, unless I've had a long weekend, you can't tell, at least so I'm told.

Here goes: (Note~ when I said I was starting from zero, I meant it. I haven't been working out at all and this Start Sheet shows it.)
Now able to do.
5o crunches (25 x 2)
14 push-ups (jeez, a year ago I was doing 25 w/o getting winded.
Curls 3x10 at 25 pounds
Shoulder lifts 3x10 at 15 pounds
Running: Longest run to date this year : 1.1 miles
Mileage this year >10 miles.

Goals: Get average per month of miles to 100
Be able to do 50 push-ups without stopping
Be able to do 3 sets of 20 curls at 25 pounds
Be able to do 3 sets of 10 at 25 pounds
Be able to 100 crunches. Four sets of 25 or Two sets of 50.

I'm not going to bother talking about body weight, that will take care of itself.

Okay.

Joe(off I go)Nation

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 10:51 am
@Joe Nation,
List your goals for 2014:
1. I will run the Chase Corporate Challenge and be the first in the firm to finish bringing the trophy from the 11th floor to the 13th floor of the law firm in which I work.
2. I will consume a genuine cronut from Dominique Ansel Bakery.
3. Get my teeth cleaned.
4. Find other things to add to my health and fitness goals list.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Those are excellent goals for, wait a minute.......there's a 13th floor in the building where you work? Are they not familiar with either the myth of the number 13 or the urban legend that there is never a 13th floor in any building.??

I need a cronut. AND we we need to go get one before the whole fad dies or everyone who eats more than one does.

Teeth. Brilliant!

Work on your list during the Super Bowl.

Joe( do it while you watch the field crews plow the yard lines.)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:52 am
@Joe Nation,

Age Push-ups -- so far i haven't skipped a day...

today's a good jogging day in bahstin -- mild and not much snow or ice on the sidewalks...

we found out that there won't be as many local 5k's this year, as the company that hosts them is struggling fincancially...

at work, i walk up the stairs as much as possible.
six flights -- i take the steps two at a time -- is quite the work-out...
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Excellent, Region....
I finally got today and meandered around Ft. Tryon Park. (I was going to go down to Central Park but I didn't want to be wet on the train coming home.)
Did just over a 5K but very slow, just burning calories so I can eat some chicken wings tonight.

'tis a shame about your local running shrinking. Any chance of finding other sponsors?? It's different here in the City. We have COUNTRIES wanting to sponsor a race. We already have Israel Day, Japan Day, Norway sponsored the Greta (Wietz) Gallop and there's even one for the United Arab Emirates.
To say nothing of the various Cancers (Colon, Leukemia, Breast).

We are spoiled brats.

More later
So far so good.

Joe(as far as I've gotten)Nation

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:02 pm
I've been gardening (hah, it's called weeding) every day for a while. I used to spend a lot of time in the yards I lived with, partly for learning re plants and having fun with design, but partly because I liked getting out there, and finally because I liked growing my own vegetables. But here in sandland, with me now older, lazier, and a little flaky with balance issues on unplanted sand, I have had trouble finding the right time of day to get on out there. A lot of the summer is blasting hot, but I don't feel like rising and shining and going out to garden, and am tiring from other stuff towards evening, wanting to relax. So - got to get going on it earlier in the day, come summer. I can do it, she says.

March and October are pretty good temperature months here, but March/April/some of June can bring a lot of wind - another reason for working in the yard, going for walks, etc., earlier.

It has been cold here lately, but I get uncold fast when 'gardening' mid cold day since I am basically outta shape. Garden improvement is occurring, and maybe so is my energy. Also, it gives me a chance to wear my thick knit cap, warm, keeps out wind, a real beauty from somewhere I don't quite remember - Katmandu, I think.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
http://able2know.org/topic/140411-1

Here we are again.
List your goals for 2014, Physical and Mental, then drop by here
once in awhile to let us know how you are doing.
OK, those goals r to have as much fun as possible,
consistent with at least a reasonable amount of personal relaxation.

So far, my quest has been SUCCESSFULL.
I will continue practicing.

Among my 2O14 Physical and Mental goals will be
to acquire a REALLY GOOD massage chair and to use it conscientiously.

( Woud that be a good Olympic competition ? )

David
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 02:22 pm
Quote:
Early Fitness Can Improve the Middle-Age Brain

The more physically active you are at age 25, the better your thinking tends to be when you
reach middle age, according to a large-scale new study. Encouragingly, the findings also suggest
that if you negligently neglected to exercise when young, you can start now and still improve
the health of your brain.

Those of us past age 40 are generally familiar with those first glimmerings of forgetfulness and
muddled thinking. We can’t easily recall people’s names, certain words, or where we left the car
keys. “It’s what we scientists call having a C.R.S. problem,” said David R. Jacobs, a professor of
public health at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and a co-author of the new study.
“You can’t remember stuff.”

But these slight, midlife declines in thinking skills strike some people later or less severely than
others, and scientists have not known why. Genetics almost certainly play a role, most researchers
agree. Yet the contribution of lifestyle, and in particular of exercise habits, has been unclear.

So recently, Dr. Jacobs and colleagues from universities in the United States and overseas turned
to a large trove of data collected over several decades for the Cardia study. The study, whose name
is short for Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults, began in the mid-1980s with the
recruitment of thousands of men and women then ages 18 to 30 who underwent health testing to
determine their cholesterol levels, blood pressure and other measures. Many of the volunteers
also completed a treadmill run to exhaustion, during which they strode at an increasingly brisk pace
until they could go no farther. The average time to exhaustion among these young adults was 10
minutes, meaning that most were moderately but not tremendously fit.

Twenty-five years later, several thousand of the original volunteers, now ages 43 to 54, were asked
to repeat their treadmill run. Most quit much sooner now, with their running times generally lasting
seven minutes or less, although a few ran longer in middle age than they had as relative youngsters.

Then, the volunteers completed a battery of cognitive tests intended to measure their memory
and executive function, which is the ability to make speedy, accurate judgments and decisions.
The volunteers had to remember lists of words and distinguish colors from texts, so that when, for
example, the word “yellow” flashed onto a screen in green ink, they would note the color, not
the word. (The participants did not undergo similar memory tests in their 20s.)
(continue reading)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 04:12 am

still doing the age push-ups every morning...
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:35 am
@Region Philbis,
way to go.

Joe(i've gotten off-track)Nation
0 Replies

jamesheller

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 05:03 am
@Joe Nation,
Hiii Joe..!! I hope you get the lots of information to achieve your health and fitness goals but i want to share with you my personal experience of my body training programs. During my gym workout i used to do 30 push-ups, 50 crunches, weight lifting, running on treadmill for 30 mins and many other useful workouts included in my body training program.

List of Goals :
1. Do 35 to 40 push-ups daily.
2. Go for weightlifting according  to your strength.
3. Running for 30 mins.
4. Do some easy and effective exercises to cut your belly fat.
5. Also take care of your daily diet. Eat Healthy and Stay Healthy.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:35 pm
@jamesheller,
Excellent goal, James.

Joe(go for it)Nation
0 Replies