How flawed are your beliefs

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 07:41 am
Everyone champions their beliefs based on what they know. If you acknowledge and subsequently ignore a flaw in your belief system, you are merely ignorant.

To creationists and to evolutionists

What are the flaws in your system of belief, and how do you get around them?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:32 am
How flawed are yours?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:51 am
@Calamity Dal,
You have set up your question in such a way that anyone who answers it is ignorant.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:21 am
@Calamity Dal,
Sounds like a question without any theological support.
I do not think we base our beliefs on what we know but on what we have been taught and how we interperet this information, which sometimes has nothing to do with theological knowledge.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 11:31 am
@Calamity Dal,
I simply do not acknowledge any flaws in my beliefs. Because there are none. Thus, I am not ignorant.

Whew, guess I dodged that bullet.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 11:51 am
Quote:
Calamity said: To creationists and to evolutionists

I like Senator John McCain's view- "I believe in evolution, but when I hike the Grand Canyon at sunset, I see the hand of God there also"

In other words we KNOW evolution occurs because we can see it in the animal kingdom via natural selection and the survival of the fittest, BUT at the same time there seems to be a guiding hand behind evolution, tweaking it and keeping it on track-

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature"
-Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): The Universe: Past and Present Reflections. Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics: 20:16.
Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:07 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Ok, let's back the truck up a sec, I get it is a heavy question, how about I dilute it,

what is the most difficult argument against your belief system, and how do you resolve it?

My flaws are in my tendency to struggle with the concept of faith filling in gaps in knowledge. Half baked answers that require logical ignorance piss me off, so I am unable to get past my flaws, I study everything and sceptically reject everything, this is why I am neither atheist nor a theist. I sit on the fence never settling on any one belief.

saab

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:19 pm
@Calamity Dal,
It is either my lack of knowlege in the English language or a complete lack of understanding the question.
I really do not know what on earth you are talking about.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:33 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal wrote:

Everyone champions their beliefs based on what they know. If you acknowledge and subsequently ignore a flaw in your belief system, you are merely ignorant.

I don't get around my flaws. I correct them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:47 pm
"evolutionists" always hope they can get more evidence
Creationists have enough
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:52 pm
@Calamity Dal,
What the hell is an evolutionist? You sound like one of those god-botherers.
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:59 pm
@Setanta,
Its a term that has been incorporated in the jargon surrounding these culture wars. Deal with it.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
I can deal with it just fine, jackass. I don't see anyone but god-botherers using it, dipshit.
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:06 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Evolutionism was a widely held 19th century belief that organisms are intrinsically bound to increase in complexity through evolution.[1][2] The belief was extended to include cultural evolution and social evolution.[3] In the 1970s the term Neo-Evolutionism was used to describe the idea "that human beings sought to preserve a familiar style of life unless change was forced on them by factors that were beyond their control".[4]

The term is sometimes also colloquially used to refer to acceptance of the modern evolutionary synthesis, a scientific theory that describes how biological evolution occurs. In addition, the term is used in a broader sense to cover a world-view on a wide variety of topics, including chemical evolution as an alternative term for abiogenesis or for nucleosynthesis of chemical elements, galaxy formation and evolution, stellar evolution, spiritual evolution, technological evolution and universal evolution, which seeks to explain every aspect of the world in which we live.[5][6]

Since the overwhelming majority of scientists accept the modern evolutionary synthesis as the best explanation of current data,[7] the term is seldom used in the scientific community; to say someone is a scientist implies acceptance of evolutionary views,[8] unless specifically noted otherwise. In the creation-evolution controversy, creationists often call those who accept the validity of the modern evolutionary synthesis "evolutionists" and the theory itself as "evolutionism." Some creationists and creationist organizations, such as the Institute of Creation Research, use these terms in an effort to make it appear that evolutionary biology is a form of secular religion.[9][10]
I

It is what it is dickbrain. If you keep making these stupid ass Setanta pronouncements youll have some people actually believing you.
As I said , deal with it and youll feel better, ya sheeny schmuck
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:30 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal wrote:

I’ll use the word “guesses” rather than “beliefs”…but I think most of us adjust as our guesses if they are shown to be wrong. Very few people stick with something that is obviously “wrong”…unless they think there is a heavy price to be paid.

Theists often encounter that problem. They often feel that acknowledging defects in their guesswork…could lead to either damnation…or, sometimes even more threatening, lead to a loss of their religion altogether.

In another thread, we’ve been having a go-around on the story of Adam and Eve’s fall.

It is completely obvious from the story itself…that neither Adam nor Eve had any idea whatsoever of what was right or wrong…what was good or evil. That is the entire point of the story…that the god involved DID NOT WANT them to know the difference between those things.

Yet theists still feel it totally appropriate to “punish” the couple (and all the rest of humanity)…because they did something “wrong” or “evil.”

Those people simply CANNOT make the adjustment…the cost is too great.

So…my guess is that most people will make an adjustment (some more readily and easily than others)…but some simply cannot, because to them, the cost of adjustment is too great.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:30 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Creation seems to suffer from paradox and contradiction, eg, how did God get there, why does She think we're necessary, how does one get something from nothing, etc, thereby requiring "supernatural," feats, apparently a synonym for "impossible". Got around by insisting She's a necessary Natural Phenom, not requiring Creation 'cause She has always existed; in a demo that suggests the alternative, "nothingness" itself impossible, entailing P and C insisting on Her existence

Evolution (http://able2know.org/topic/232172-1) suffers from a sort of unliklihood owing to its rarity and gradualism--that is to say, there simply hasn't been enough time for us to evolve as we have. The former is countered by certain instances of remarkably quick change to an entire specie, suggesting the math to be misleading
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Evolution suffers from a sort of unliklihood owing to its rarity and gradualism--that is to say, there simply hasn't been enough time for us to evolve as we have

And you have concluded this how?

When fins of a fish became paddles of an amphibian, which became legs of a reptile, which became the arms and legs of a bird or a mammal , see how directional that is? Its not a "reinvention of anything" its merely a re purposing of whats already there. Same thing with anything else, breathing, hearing, eyes and vision, etc

Once life 9animals) became symmetrical along their axes, all developmental options became derivative of whats gone on before. Even if the fossil record only reflects the "dead ends" these dead ends were displaying the many options of a particular body structure that would become successful.

AS a comedian said once
" We aint the descendants of the fossil bone guys who got et up by the sabre toothed tigers. WE the descendants of the fast little fuckers that made it back to the cave."
Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It is what it is dickbrain. If you keep making these stupid ass Setanta pronouncements youll have some people actually believing you.
As I said , deal with it and youll feel better, ya sheeny schmuck

Setanta is not Jewish. Why the ad-hominem for Jews (sheeny)? And, "schmuck" is just a Yiddishism for penis. Perhaps, you were thinking of me at the time of posting?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:43 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Evolution suffers from a sort of unliklihood owing to its rarity and gradualism--that is to say, there simply hasn't been enough time for us to evolve as we have

Quote:
And you have concluded this how?
If you will reread the posting Man, you will see that I wasn't endorsing the notion but only replying to another poster who asked what the argument was. My response doesn't mean I agree with it

Hell Man I'm largely on your side as you will see from my closing phrase, "...suggesting the math to be misleading" refers to the math that seems to deny evolution
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:56 pm
@Setanta,
What the hell is a god-botherer? you sound like one of those evolutionists.