November 4th Is Election Day In The U.S.

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:06 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Sen Thad Cochran (R-MS) WINS!!!!!
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:09 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I am not a Republican by any stretch of the imagination, but I am deliriously happy that the Tea Party candidate went down to defeat! I'm only interested in the GOP candidates when they are running against a Dem. But the Tea Party frightens me so badly that when they lose, I WIN!!!!!
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:

I hope Rengel writes a book about his long life and also finds a way to enjoy retirement.

From everything I know about the New York Representative, he has never lacked for fun. He has a vacation villa in the Dominican Republic where he is often captured by photographers lounging, asleep with a glass of wine nearby......Rangle enjoys life; however, it doesn't look too good for him right now; don't have the results yet, but Rangle is trailing.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:57 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Charlie Rangle (D-NY) is holding on so far with 48 and his opposite number Edriani Espaillat 43%. It's looking good for Charles Rangle.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 01:32 pm
I have been reading all of the postmortems on the Mississippi Repub primary held yesterday, The old guy, incumbent Thad Cochran, beat his Tea Party movement, Chris McDaniel, by about 6,000 votes.
There is a consensus that the votes of African-American, non-Republicans was the deciding factor. I would argue that there were a number of traditional R's who eventually went to Cochran because they, upon reflection, found McDaniel too extreme. The voting data on that has not yet been completely done.
In MS anyone can vote in a primary PROVIDING she did not vote in the the other party's primary. Whether yesterday's primary voters were matched with records from the D's earlier vote is in dispute.
McDaniel did not concede last night and has not indicated what he will do so far today.
The D's hope is that they can keep the R's bickering. The MS seat is a shoe-in for the R's in November...UNLESS McDaniel runs as a 3rd party write-in candidate. I don't think that will happen but...
Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 02:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
In MS anyone can vote in a primary PROVIDING she did not vote in the the other party's primary. Whether yesterday's primary voters were matched with records from the D's earlier vote is in dispute.

During most mid term elections voter turn out is ordinarily low with exception of the most dedicated voter. Regarding Mississippi black Democrats, no irregularities were reported to election officials, its said. Tis unmistakable the Cochran team was quite proficient in convincing African Americans to cross over and vote Republican......They were told McDaniels did not like Obama, did not vote for aid in Katrina ravaged Mississippi, was close friends with the KKK. Would do everything in his power to repeal the affordable ACA. Seemingly black Dems voted in their interest!

Quote:
I would argue that there were a number of traditional R's who eventually went to Cochran because they, upon reflection, found McDaniel too extreme.

I could not agree more. When it looked as if McDaniel would win overwhelmingly against Cochran, moderate Republicans did not see any need to go to the polls feeling their vote would not count. When word got around Cochran was appealing to the black vote, there appeared to be an impetus to get out and vote. Together the two groups squeaked through a win for Cochran with McDaniels yet to concede.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 02:24 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Associated Press: Charlie Rangle has won in New York according to the count; it's now official.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:43 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
If you're referring to US Rep from NY, his name is Charles B. Rangel (not Rangle). Might as well get his name right.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:41 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

If you're referring to US Rep from NY, his name is Charles B. Rangel (not Rangle). Might as well get his name right.

Oops! How careless of me. My sincere thanks to you for pointing out the misspelling.
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:43 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
No prob. I really don't mean to be a nitpicker...umm...sure I do.
I used to be an editor in my prior prof life.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too, me too.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Editors huh. No wonder I have so much trouble understanding all of you. Your eddikated!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:39 am
@RABEL222,
???

I was answering edgarblythe from a few pages back. You can tell that by checking his name at the top of my post (it's in small green letters, just click on it).
Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 01:48 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:

No prob. I really don't mean to be a nitpicker...umm...sure I do.
I used to be an editor in my prior prof life.

I would not ever dream of thinking you a "nitpicker," Ragman, especially one with your professional expertise. Whenever I am wrong I doubly appreciate someone pointing it out, chiefly, someone's name. If you had not pointed this out to me I would have continued misspelling Rangel's name while everyone around me was spelling it correctly. I am constantly learning so much from others, most times not commented on, but I will remember you. Thank you.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 04:08 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I am trying to get a word play in about how we shouldn't be wrangling about misspelled words...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 04:35 pm
I'll be a nitpicker. I generally appreciate moment in time. I got fuzzed with her misspelling Christie, whom she doesn't like (I don't either), always as Christi, dozens or more times. I took it eventually as on purpose. I get taunts, but repeated ones on names are a burr. Everyone else spelled it correctly for weeks or months, page after page.

I also get various spelling problems - that one didn't seem so.

Apologies if I was wrong on that.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 04:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I am trying to get a word play in about how we shouldn't be wrangling about misspelled words...

Forgive me, realjohnboy. I felt I just had to thank Ragman for correcting my error. I'm a political junky, but bad on names..... your thread is spot on...I certainly hope I have not spoiled it in any way for you.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:00 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
That was intended as a play on words. Wrangling...Rangel.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 12:11 am
@ossobuco,
No sense of humor Osso? Sorry I offended you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 07:44 am

Michigan has a doozy of a ballot issue for the coming primary.

It's not really long, but I don't think it's written entirely in English. Is there a language called "Lawyerese"?

Quote:
APPROVAL OR DISAPPROVAL OF AMENDATORY ACT TO REDUCE STATE USE TAX AND REPLACE WITH A LOCAL COMMUNITY STABILIZATION SHARE TO MODERNIZE THE TAX SYSTEM TO HELP SMALL BUSINESSES GROW AND CREATE JOBS

The amendatory act adopted by the Legislature would:

1. Reduce the state use tax and replace with a local community stabilization share of the tax for the purpose of modernizing the tax system to help small businesses grow and create jobs in Michigan.

2. Require Local Community Stabilization Authority to provide revenue to local governments dedicated for local purposes, including police safety, fire protection, and ambulance emergency services.

3. Increase portion of state use tax dedicated for aid to local school districts.

4. Prohibit Authority from increasing taxes.

5. Prohibit total use tax rate from exceeding existing constitutional 6% limitation.

Should this law be approved?

Actually I have figured it out. It's an attempt to slash business taxes and drain the coffers of the state treasury. But sheesh! What a load of convoluted gobbledygook!

Isn't there supposed to be a rule that the language of ballot measures clearly explain to the voters what they are proposing?