Philosophy under grad Needs Help!

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 01:15 pm
Hello I am an undergrad student currently taking Philosophy which is needed to satisfy my core objective< I am currently having trouble understanding my syllabus and the reading in Ed L. Millers book Questions that Matter, is anyone interested in doing some tutoring?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,737 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 01:42 pm
@Adam Cuniglio,
We don't normally "tutor" but some of us may be sufficiently familiar with the literature to suggest appropriate references which give angles on "answers".
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:39 pm
@Adam Cuniglio,
What Fresco said. If you list some specific problems you're having or ask specific questions about the reading, a number of us would be glad to try and help you understand.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 04:10 pm
@Adam Cuniglio,
I note that one review of that Miller book reads:

Quote:
This popular choice for introductory philosophy courses offers primary source readings woven into a text that is organized by key questions in philosophy. The discussion of each question is presented in a logical and historical light, showing connections, roots, and influences. The clarity of the presentation and the successful student pedagogical aids provide an accessible, guided introduction to philosophy for college students.

You need to give it a try, but it may be that philosophy is simply "not for you".
informateur

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 01:44 am
@Adam Cuniglio,
Google
0 Replies

Adam Cuniglio

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 02:59 pm
@fresco,
I need it to satisfy my core for my bachelors in History
fresco

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:55 am
@Adam Cuniglio,
Yes. That's understood. I suggest that you start considering why philosophy might be considered a useful adjunct to the study of history. What for example is the nature of "knowledge" or "evidence" or "context". What are the origins of the concept of "rights". etc.
From your posts, you appear to be approaching the subsidiary subject as an intellectual burden, but that implies your current understanding of the basis of your main subject is superficial.
0 Replies