Why do people think that you're poor if you don't have a traditional bed?

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:31 am
It's not like I have never had a proper bed.In fact my sister and me had our queen sized beds by the time we were both 5. Over the years as my parents had to move us around a lot they couldn't always conceal us AND provide luxury. Sometimes we slept with our mother and pur stepdad slept on the couch or we slept on the couch. Our most recent move a cpuple years ago was very sudden. My stepdad literally decided we were moving here on a whim leaving pretty much everything behind. I was 11 then and pretty use to moving around like gypsies,so when they asked me You mind sleeping on one mattress for a while and we'll give the other to your sister? Fast forward five years and we're still sleeping on mattress on the floor of our rooms. My sister is too embarrassed to have friends over,but I do and always get asked where my bed is. I point to my mattress and never hear the end of taunts from people who think they're better than me! I know I can't ask my parents for a proper bed,because most of their money has been spent fighting court battles,so it would be greedy to ask for what they ain't offering, right? My sister told me to lose some pride or either don't invite people over,but I can't live in isolation!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 752 • Replies: 15

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:20 am
@Zerzin97,
put the mattress up on some cement blocks, cover with a blanket and no one will know the difference.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:24 am
@Zerzin97,
It's normal to want a traditional bed - easy access; standardized bedding; consistency when sleeping at friend's, hotels, ect.
Think, if your family were a little more affluent, would you have a traditional bed?
It's not a real "luxury" in mainstream America, most people have beds before they buy cable TV or a smart phone.
You're a bit dramatic with 'a proper bed or isolation', and you are somewhat financially poor - no shame there!
I figure you're about age 16 - why can't you find your own bed? You already have the mattress, (get one for your sister too).
It doesn't have to be new and you don't have to use money - barter your time and/or work for it. Good luck.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:33 pm
I am assuming that you just have the mattress, not a box springs. So if you want to get it UP off the floor, then you must find something to put under it. Like suggested before, blocks supporting a piece of plywood with the mattress over all that could get you off the floor.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 01:34 pm
@Zerzin97,
Hey Zerzin, send an anonymous letter to Child Protection or the police, tipping them off that there are kids at your address sleeping on the floor.
They'll then visit and put a scare into your parents and you should then be getting beds pretty quick..Wink
Zerzin97

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 02:26 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
What?! They have spent a decade CONCEALING us! Why would I tip anyone off? You must be joking!
0 Replies

Zerzin97

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 02:28 pm
@Zerzin97,
Thanks for the tips everyone. There's a construction yard near here. Me and my sister will start keeping an eye out for excess materials.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 03:00 pm
@Zerzin97,
Why does your mother and stepdad think you need to be concealed? Do you attend school?
Zerzin97

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 03:52 pm
@glitterbag,
I haven't been to school since I was 9.Who are we being saved from? Our nutjob of a blood father! My mother adopted me and my sister with the WILLING consent of our birth mom,but Mr.Biological has been lying and stalking us for the past decade. If he ever caught up to us my sister and me would've been DRAGGED to his home country Germany. Get it?I'm 17 now and my sister is 15,so the danger is not as bad,but my folks still went almost bankrupt concealing us from him. We're considered missing in Europe,but since we were born and adopted in America his custody is illegal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 04:00 pm
@Zerzin97,
Plywood over concrete blocks is a good idea if that's what you find. Mattresses can get hot though, so often people use wood planks spaced a little bit apart so the heat can get out of the bottom of the mattress.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 04:04 pm
Seems like you folks need an attorney, maybe through legal aid if you are in the u.s. (I'm no expert, but have sympathy).
Zerzin97

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:54 am
@ossobuco,
Our adoption was affirmed in 3 states and if he ever sets foot in America again he will be arrested on outstanding warrants from when he beat our birth mother so bad she had my sister 13 weeks early! His native Germany granted him custody and since at the time my family lived in UK well within reach of German Law a decade game of Hide The Kids started. A lawyer's best advice was to leave Europe which we did. Now we're chilling in the Caribbean trying to get our passports unflagged,so we can travel again.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 05:13 pm
@Zerzin97,
Why on earth would your passports be flagged/

That doesn't make sense with a custody issue.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 10:30 pm
@PUNKEY,
Since you and your sister are 15 & 17 as well as American citizens, I doubt any US court would return you to your biological father. You obviously have access to a computer, so you can research the information you need to empower your whole family. But I'm happy that you're in the Carribian, good place to unwind and get back to Normal.
0 Replies

damiansmith1986

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 04:07 am
@Zerzin97,
No I do not think that . If someone came to meet you he/she do not thing about what stuffs do you have if he/she have good understanding with you. Everyone have their own taste so its not necessary that you must have to have traditional bed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 06:33 am
@Zerzin97,
Quote:
Why do people think that you're poor
if you don't have a traditional bed?
Well, if u r financially well off,
then presumably u have provided yourself
with comfortable sleeping accomodations. Y not ??

David
0 Replies